I asked the question of my company

This is a discussion on I asked the question of my company within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; We have an anonymous method of asking the company questions, which are then routed to the appropriate responders. I decided to ask why the company ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: I asked the question of my company

We have an anonymous method of asking the company questions, which are then routed to the appropriate responders. I decided to ask why the company specifically restricts employees from carrying (and specified even if they have a CHL).

I logged in today to get my response, so I have changed the names to protect the sheep, I mean the innocent, and also my response from today.

Your question on June 2, 2009 at 10:41 AM:
    I was wondering what the reasoning was for restricting the legal right to carry a concealed firearm by CHL holders is. I would think that with the knowledge of these people having gone through training, FBI background checks, and certification processes that they would be trusted.

On 06/02/2009 at 12:11 PM - Name removed left the message:
    Greetings valued employee,

Thanks for using EmployeeVoice to submit your concern in care of carrying a concealed firearm on Company name property.

When considering Company name's commitment to ensuring all employees are operating in a work environment that is safe and non-threatening to others, such policies as the Violence-Free Workplace Policy outlines Company name commitment. It's not to say Company name does not trust employees who have proven themselves responsible and trustworthy by CHL standards, yet, it is the fear and perception that one develops when they see someone (outside of law enforcement) with a weapon - that can be very frightening to the average person, and ccould create a working environment that is threatening and hostile. Think about from this angle - what if you and me got into an argument and I had a concealed weapon on me (and you knew I did), how would you feel? Maybe a bit threatening and put off not knowing what I might do, if pushed to the limits... This is only one example of how allowing employees to bear arms on Company name property could create a hostile and intimidating working environment.

I hope this helps to clarify Company name rationale for not permitting firearms on Company name property.

Very respectfully,
    Name Removed

On 06/03/2009 at 11:20 AM - You left the message:
    Thank you for your response, I do see your point but and understand how the "masses" can feel towards ignorance of any subject not just those of personal responsibility with weapons.

I simply believe that this policy pointing out firearms and knives (other than those used for work related functions) is baseless considering the fact that in an office environment there are just as many dangerous objects around that can be just as easily employed to cause harm to another.

The example given of "us arguing and me knowing you are armed" doesn't fit the bill either as it implys those who choose to take personal responsibility for their own safety are also somehow unstable enough to use proper judgment in conflict resolution.

Thanks again for your time and prompt response.
    I doubt it will make a difference or even make someone think, but I just get tired of the argument that just because someone is legally armed and responsibly safe and trained that they may one day "go off" during an argument. One can do just as much harm with an ink pen or stapler if "pushed to the limits".
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    We have an anonymous method of asking the company questions, which are then routed to the appropriate responders. I decided to ask why the company specifically restricts employees from carrying (and specified even if they have a CHL).

I logged in today to get my response, so I have changed the names to protect the sheep, I mean the innocent, and also my response from today.
    Ask said Company name morons what their policy is, if a terminated employee comes back with a weapon, to settle the score, as commonly happens. Can they GUARANTEE your safety? Do they have a quick-response security unit, capable of handling an active shooter scenario? Are they aware your spouse has instructions to sue for millions if any harm ever befalls you at work? These questions and more should be addressed as to why you deserve less Rights at work than out in the street...

Guns don't kill people.
    Gaping wounds in vital organs do.
    ============
    NRA Life Member
    Colt M1911A1 / H&K USP45

This is why you just keep your mouth shut and carry, none will be the wisest

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    Paco - I'm surprised you didn't point out that 'concealed is concealed' so how would 'you and me' (crappy grammer btw) know if the other was armed. For that matter, how do they know people aren't armed as we speak??
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    .....those who choose to take personal responsibility for their own safety are also somehow unstable enough to use proper judgment in conflict resolution.......
    I think you meant to say "...somehow unstable enough to not use proper judgement....."

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerinWstuff View Post
    Paco - I'm surprised you didn't point out that 'concealed is concealed' so how would 'you and me' (crappy grammer btw) know if the other was armed. For that matter, how do they know people aren't armed as we speak??
    I didn't want to push it that far, just to be safe. I am complying with the policy, but would be afraid they go to the 3rd party company and tell them to reveal the party who asked the questions for safety reasons. I merely wanted to plant the seed, I knew what the response would be before I submitted the question.

Quote Originally Posted by highvoltage View Post
    I think you meant to say "...somehow unstable enough to not use proper judgement....."
    Heh, oops.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Great Letter

Quote Originally Posted by MedPig View Post
    Ask said Company name morons what their policy is, if a terminated employee comes back with a weapon, to settle the score, as commonly happens. Can they GUARANTEE your safety? Do they have a quick-response security unit, capable of handling an active shooter scenario? Are they aware your spouse has instructions to sue for millions if any harm ever befalls you at work? These questions and more should be addressed as to why you deserve less Rights at work than out in the street...
    TinkernWstuff; Paco - I'm surprised you didn't point out that 'concealed is concealed' so how would 'you and me' (crappy grammer btw) know if the other was armed. For that matter, how do they know people aren't armed as we speak??
    Definitely do a follow-up with the above info. Great stuff there. I would use it myself but I work at an international airport
    "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Heh, oops.
    No worries.

BTW, good letter. Not sure if it will change anything, but it did make you feel better, right?

A company I worked at some years back in MN - They had an insurance company tell them they needed to update their handbook and wrote in language that you couldn't have knives. I worked maintenance and was no longer allowed to carry a leatherman unless I broke off the blade.

Many of us pitched as much of a stink as we could explaining that we could do more damage with the ballpeen hammer in our toolboxes but they wouldn't listen and didn't seem to care because it was "coming from the insurance company." Even though razor blades and box cutters were o.k.

This was before MN had CCW. I have no idea how their policy reads now.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by MedPig View Post
    These questions and more should be addressed as to why you deserve less Rights at work than out in the street...
    Especially in public corporations, it's not about you or your rights, it's about protecting the company's bottom line from any real or perceived liability. Always. Your safety and your "rights" are important to the company only inasmuch as they contribute to the bottom line.

Quote Originally Posted by faithmyeyes View Post
    Especially in public corporations, it's not about you or your rights, it's about protecting the company's bottom line from any real or perceived liability. Always. Your safety and your "rights" are important to the company only inasmuch as they contribute to the bottom line.
    BINGO!

Quote Originally Posted by faithmyeyes View Post
    That's what I was saying in a longwinded, storytelling manner.

Who is John Galt?

I didn't want to push it that far, just to be safe. I am complying with the policy, but would be afraid they go to the 3rd party company and tell them to reveal the party who asked the questions for safety reasons. I merely wanted to plant the seed, I knew what the response would be before I submitted the question.

Heh, oops.

Anyone having the ability to amend the work employee policy handbook might want to do what I did.............Under the part that states "no weapons are to be allowed on company property" etc.

I rewrote it to say "no illegal weapons are to be allowed on company property"! We through with flying colors!!!
    Remember when seconds count.......the police are only minutes away! or

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot shoot,
    Courage to shoot the people I can,

And the wisdom to know the difference

What happened to ALWAYS CARRY, NEVER TELL?
    I carry at work and I haven't said a word. There is no policy against it, so I believe I'm good. The owner is a bit anti, but who cares?
    I carry a G30 will 11 rounds of Federal HST +p .45
    G21SF, G30, G36, Ruger SP101 DAO, S&W 642

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links