Florida Private Sale - Page 2

Florida Private Sale

This is a discussion on Florida Private Sale within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Thanks for all the replies!...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Florida Private Sale

Thanks for all the replies!

Private Weapons Sales in Florida

Not to burst any bubbles, but Florida Law does not recognize a LEO of ANY jurisdiction as being exempt from purchasing laws. Unless they possess a Florida CCW and Florida DL they would have to wait the same three day period that anyone else NOT having a CCW would. However as far as I know, this only applies to licensed gun dealers. Since you have not specified you are a FFL licensed dealer you most likely would not be subject to commercial sale rules.

Individual owners can sell/trade any "legal" weapon in Florida without having to do a background check. But as others have advised, get a copy of this LEO's Florida DL, and look at his credentials. If they are genuine, they will be a two part credential, one with the buyers picture and the other with the particular agency's info. Also, ask him/her for a business card, every Federal LEO I have ever known has one. This will give you his position and office info so you could verify anything you need to. But, don't ask to copy their creds, that is a no no.

Good luck with your sale, as others have said LEO's usually enjoy guns and some "non issue" weapons.

Dave

I only buy and sell to private parties unless there is something I just can't fine, like a recently purchased Beretta Xtrema of which there are very few for sale privately.
    No problems in Florida. I do like to get a bill of sale and a copy of the persons DL just so I know who I sold it to should there be any problems down the road. I usually ask them to make a copy before we meet and i give them a copy of mine. You can ship the gun inside Florida without a FFL, but I only do face to face because it makes me more comfortable with who I am dealing with. I did once back out of a sale when I met the person because he was drunk as hell when I met him and I was not about to hand over a gun to a drunk. I would have sold it to him had he been sober.
    A word to the wise isn't necessary, save it for the stupid

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Copying DL? Why not give them a copy of your SS card also. I don't let anyone other than a govenment agency make a copy of any ID of mine.
    blitzburgh and kmagnuss like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by PointnClick View Post
    Is a "bill of sale" a legal requirement...?
    Not in Texas.....
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

I've done a few private sales here in Florida. The hard rule is the buyer MUST be a Florida resident. Thats why you want a copy of the drivers license. A ccw is nice but not required except at some gun shows. However going to a gun shop, and having the gun transfered is probably your best bet. If your fed friend buyer has no permit he will have to wait the so called cooling off period. One other thing... while a pawn shop can do the transfer... he may have to keep the gun on his books for 30 days.
    Badbullgator likes this.

Re: Florida Private Sale

You're good to go. seems like you're just paranoid cuz he's Leo.

-- I don't always post from my mobile but when I do, I prefer Tapatalk.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Copying DL? Why not give them a copy of your SS card also. I don't let anyone other than a govenment agency make a copy of any ID of mine.
    Fair enough, you keep buying yours from your LGS and give them all your information.

Me, I am getting a copy of your ID if I buy or sell to you. Deal breaker for me. If I buy a gun from you and for some reason it comes to pass that I am pulled over, the gun run and comes up as used in a crime I want to be able to say where I got it as a fact and not try explaining that I bought it from some guy who told me his name was David Smith. Conversley if you buy a gun from me I would think you would want to be able to prove where you bought it rather than trying to explain you bought it from some guy off the interweb who gave you a bill of sale with the name John Doe on it. If you take the gun and use it in a crime and it comes back to me, I want to say here is the DL of the person who bought it from me.
    That's me and of course I don't trust anyone I do not personally know (and not even some I do know). You keep on showing you azz and I will keep mine covered.
    A word to the wise isn't necessary, save it for the stupid

Last year... or the year before there was a burglary ring operating in Georgia. Their M/O was to steal guns in Georgia, them come to Florida gun show's and make private sales of the gun's they stole. You have to be carefull when making a provate sale or purchase... I wont do either without exchanging ID

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links