Florida Private Sale

Florida Private Sale

This is a discussion on Florida Private Sale within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello, This question may seem a little silly, but I just want to make sure I understand this. Im currently advertising one of my Ar15's ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Florida Private Sale

Florida Private Sale

Hello,

This question may seem a little silly, but I just want to make sure I understand this. Im currently advertising one of my Ar15's for sale. I have been contacted by another member who is a Federal Leo and is also a resident of my state (Florida). He is interested in purchasing the gun. I usually only like to sell to others w/ a concealed permit but he does not have one.

Being that were are both residents of the same state and he is a Federal Leo, Does this seem like a legal sale?!?

I have only sold one handgun and it was to a very good friend of mine. It just makes me a little nervous to sell a Ar15 to a LEO that I do not know. I will have him sign a "Bill of Sale" ofcourse.

BTW, This post was not made to question the guy I may be doing business with. He is a great person. I just want to make sure the way I go about it is legal.

Thanks for any information!

In Georgia and TN it would be legal. I would assume FL is going to be no different. Do not let the LEO credentials scare you. Sometimes they like guns too.

Perfectly legal...
    Go for it!

Several months ago I met a forum member mid-state for a similar exchange.

Now we did exchange info...we gave each other copies of DL and CCW permits...noted the details of the sale and signed...each kept a copy.

Ask ANY dependable gun shop you trust...you'll get the same answer.
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; June 3rd, 2009 at 08:18 PM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    According to opencarry.org, in state transfers between individuals are legal in Florida.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

I would state do not rely on opinions on the internet. I would either consult a criminal defense attorney or find a District Attorney or an attorney general or their assistant and ask for an advisory opinion. DO NOT discuss anything that you may have done in your past.

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    Friend-to-friend sales are perfectly legal. I would have a bill of sale which includes both sellers and buyers D/L info at a minimum. If you have questions about the buyer, go to a gun store you trust and have the broker the sale which would include the Federal background check. They should be willing to this and will probably charge a minimal amount for the transaction. Check with them before hand.

These are just some of the ways you and the buyer can be comfortable with the sale.
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    If you are just not comfortable selling a guy you don't know a gun face to face, go to a gun shop and have it transfered to him. It should only cost about $30.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    Is a "bill of sale" a legal requirement...?
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

Re: Florida private sale

Since your AR-15 is probably a sporter (semi-auto) model, and since
    it does not have a collapsable stock, I don't see any reason why you
    cannot sell your AR-15 to this Fed LEO.

I am a retired Fed LEO living here in western Michigan, and I have
    an Armalite AR-180. Since this original model assault type rifle has
    a folding stock, and when folded, the overall length is below the
    Michigan legal limit for a rifle, I had to register it as a concealable
    handgun. I could have problems selling my AR-180, but I don't see
    any problems for you to sell your AR-15 unless Florida has some
    prohibition unknown by me.

Good Luck!

Guido

Yes,

Just do a "bill of sale" for record keeping sake.

Hi.
    Just got this from Wikipedia:

"Florida law allows private firearm sales between residents without requiring any processing through an FFL. Florida law also permits larger municipalities to elect to require a concealed carry permit for a buyer to purchase a gun at a gun show from another private individual without any delay, but in practice, this applies only to a few of the largest municipalities (Miami, Orlando, etc.) where it has been invoked."

Friends of mine have been selling guns privately without paperwork, but if a Bill of Sale isn't a problem, it seems like a nice thing to have if the firearm is used in a crime and they come looking. IMO
    NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    If you are just not comfortable selling a guy you don't know a gun face to face, go to a gun shop and have it transfered to him. It should only cost about $30.
    I agree with atctimmy. If you do it any other way, you're relying on your record keeping for the future. Loose that bill of sale somewhere in the future i.e. moving, flood, fire whatever, and ten years from now when they knock on your door because it was used in a crime, you may be suffering like me with CRS (can't remember S***). Tough time to try and remember somebodys name from 10 years ago that you hardly knew. Do the transaction thru a dealer and it's out of your name and in the new owners. If he objects to going thru a dealer, maybe you shouldn't sell to him to begin with. Just my $.02

The NRA is currently fighting to stop legislation that would ban all private transfers of firearms between law abiding citizens. As far as current federal law is concerned, there is nothing stopping the sale. In this case it seems to be Florida law that would be the issue.

The only legality issue that applies in the state of Fl is that you must personally ask the person to see his DL and verify that he is a FL resident! If you don't you could get in trouble!
    Secret Spuk likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I always do unless I know the person…

Given that, I’ve sold and purchased many guns over the years from friends without going through an FFL.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links