TN House and Senate Veto Override Gov!

This is a discussion on TN House and Senate Veto Override Gov! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, the House did a veto override earlier in the week and today, the TN Senate did the same. They both gave the Gov his ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Well, the House did a veto override earlier in the week and today, the TN Senate did the same. They both gave the Gov his first veto override in his career and with good cause.
    He had been our friend all along until a few days ago when he threw his veto on a law allowing us to carry into restaurants that serve alcohol. Now, we will not have to disarm before going into have a meal with our family.
    Please celebrate with us!

Great day for TN.
    Time for AZ to follow.

That is great news. We have a bill in committee in NC that is trying to allow the same thing. I hope it will go through one day. Maybe with TN's help!!
    Walk steathly - and carry a big Springfield.

It ain't over. . . Nashville Metro Council trying to derail 2nd amendment rights

The Nashville Metro Council is trying to push for a bill that would prevent handgun carry in restaurants that serve beer. Their rationale is that counties in the state of TN control beer licenses; therefore, the counties should be able to control handgun carry in businesses that serve beer.

WZTV FOX 17/Nashville

How did this guy manage to become governor of a southern state? Sounds like he belongs in Wisconsin.
    "You have to answer for Santino, Carlo. You fingered Sonny for the Barzini people."

I still don't understand the Governor rationale on the veto. The votes in both houses were an overwhelming majority. He had to know the override was a given. He had the option to not sign it and let it become law without his signature.

My guess: someone asked him to veto this KNOWING it would get overturned, but in doing so, they gain 40 days to file a lawsuit and seek an injunction before the law can take effect.

If I am right; who is pulling the strings and paying for the lawsuit?

Congrats! We need to get HB 203 passed here in Ohio so we can enjoy the same dinning privilege.
    We can't stop here...this is bat country.
    Μολὼν λαβέ
    Res Ipsa Loquitur

Bredesen probably wouldn't have vetoed it if TN law recognized the difference in a restaurant and a bar. There is no 51% law to differentiate the two. I really doubt the framers of the bill intended to allow carry into Joe's Bar. They probably wanted to legalize carry in restaurants that serve alcohol but TN law gave them no choice but to make it legal across the board.

Distinguished Member Array lacrosse50's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stealie View Post
    Congrats! We need to get HB 203 passed here in Ohio so we can enjoy the same dinning privilege.
    +1 to that!
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    -Herbert Spencer

NRA Life Member

Jazz...the business owner in that video thinks he is so awesome for putting up that sign, however it does not meet the requirements of TN law so we can carry there anyway!! What an idiot. haha

Quote Originally Posted by wvshooter View Post
    How did this guy manage to become governor of a southern state? Sounds like he belongs in Wisconsin.
    Bredesen is imported from elsewhere. Not a local boy by any stretch.

carpetbagger. Came in taking a good game. None of the GOOD gun bills ever made it out of the House so this was his 1st real test and he failed.
    Good news: override was a slam dunk
    Bad news: the gov is pressing local councils to restrict it. Here in metro they are trying to pass laws to allow the beer board to pull the places permit if they allow carry.

The battle was won, but the worthless SOBs are trying to get their fear mongering point across at the local level now...it ain't over yet.
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazz View Post
    The Nashville Metro Council is trying to push for a bill that would prevent handgun carry in restaurants that serve beer. Their rationale is that counties in the state of TN control beer licenses; therefore, the counties should be able to control handgun carry in businesses that serve beer.

WZTV FOX 17/Nashville
    Quote Originally Posted by dunndw View Post
    carpetbagger. Came in taking a good game. None of the GOOD gun bills ever made it out of the House so this was his 1st real test and he failed.
    Good news: override was a slam dunk
    Bad news: the gov is pressing local councils to restrict it. Here in metro they are trying to pass laws to allow the beer board to pull the places permit if they allow carry.

The battle was won, but the worthless SOBs are trying to get their fear mongering point across at the local level now...it ain't over yet.
    Yep. See here:
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...62-post37.html

Quote Originally Posted by wvshooter View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly1964 View Post
    Bredesen is imported from elsewhere. Not a local boy by any stretch.
    Governor Bredesen was born in New Jersey (remember the Pace Picante Sauce commercials?).

Quote Originally Posted by drlove View Post
    Jazz...the business owner in that video thinks he is so awesome for putting up that sign, however it does not meet the requirements of TN law so we can carry there anyway!! What an idiot. haha
    Shhh. Don't tell him.
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

Here is the Fox News Story from Memphis

http://www.myfoxmemphis.com/dpp/news..._Keep_Guns_Out

* Marketplace

Mid-South Bars to Keep
    Guns Out

Updated: Thursday, 04 Jun 2009, 5:39 PM CDT
    Published : Thursday, 04 Jun 2009, 5:00 PM CDT

MEMPHIS, Tenn. - Licensed gun owners will be allowed to strap on in bars and restaurants.

Thursday, the senate voted to override Governor Phil Bredesen's veto of the guns in bars bill, one day after the house did the same.

But the majority of bar and restaurant owners in Memphis say they are appalled by the passing of the guns in bars bill. Many are now creating their own policy: No guns allowed, despite what the law may say.

For Benny Carter, the owner of Murphy's in Midtown, adding guns to bars and restaurants is one cocktail that doesn't make sense.

"I do not think they mix well," says Carter. "I don't think anybody does. I don't think I'm alone as a bar owner and proprietor."

He's right, Murphy's not alone. Bars all over the Midtown area are putting up signs in their windows making it clear, guns are not allowed.

But Carter has not yet taken the step to make an official policy at Murphy's.

"If someone does bring one in because they are concealed, how am I going to know if they have one or not?" asks Carter.

Carter also feels this gun bill was unnecessarily fast tracked. He says lawmakers did not do enough research.

"Nobody ever asked my opinion on it," says Carter. "Ultimately its more responsibility for me."

But not every business owner is against the measure, although people with that opinion are less vocal. Fox13 talked to two restaurant owners who support the bill, but did not want to go public.

A downtown business owner says many of his patrons have carry permits and doesn't expect it to be a problem.

And a Midtown restaurant owner says many of his employees get off late at night and may feel safer if they're allowed to have a gun.

At Murphy's, Carter says he's not only concerned about the safety issue, but about cost. In this slow economy, the last thing he needs is for an increased price in insurance and more liability on him.

"It all boils down to me for more responsibility, increased cost and ultimately more exposure for lawsuits," says Carter. "And God forbid something to happen."

It will become law July 14th. But many bars and restaurants plan on making their own policy.
    The best preventative medicine is superior fire power.

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    Good for the Volunteer State!
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links