LEO followed closely on the way home....

This is a discussion on LEO followed closely on the way home.... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was on my way home from the gym in Renton when I noticed a police cruiser waiting with its lights off perpendicular to the ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: LEO followed closely on the way home....

LEO followed closely on the way home....

I was on my way home from the gym in Renton when I noticed a police cruiser waiting with its lights off perpendicular to the road. I was going at the speed limit so I didn't care that he was waiting.
    As I pass the cop, he pulls out rather suddenly and comes up right behind me and follows me real close but doesn't turn on his lights.

It made me uncomfortable, because I felt he was waiting for a reason to pull me over. I kept trying to run it through my head as to why he was following me so close.

My wife of course went off on me saying that he ran my plates and found out I had a CPL and a gun and that it was my fault that I got a gun and blah blah....(My wife actually works for the PD in records. She isn't an LEO...)

I told her I had nothing to worry since I wasn't speeding, I didn't run a red light and I had a valid CPL and had no criminal record whatsover not even a speeding ticket.

Anyways he followed me closely all the way home and then suddenly took a turn as soon as I was about to turn into my apartment.

I still don't know why he was after me.

I know I drive an ex cop car, but I have had that for over a year and a half and my wife takes it to work sometimes and no cop has stopped me or has asked me about the car.

Have any of you been followed by LEOs after getting your CPL?
    Vince K
    Aerospace Designer, Freemason, NRA member

2. Remove Ads

Nope, never had that problem.

Here at AR they require declaration of loaded weapon in vehicle and show upon request ccp.

BTW, been to Renton a few times. Nice place.

So is FreshSeafood.com at Pike PLace market area.
    Glock 33 .357 SIG plus .40 S&W barrel for most of practice. Keep loaded with .357 SIG hollow point for home protection.

RugerLCP .380 equipped with Crimson Trace for everyday carry.

http://www.christinacooks.com/

He was probably just bored and ran your tags after he got behind you.

When he saw you were going to the place listed on your registration, not having a reason to pull you over, he went off in pursuit of other fish.

I wouldn't sweat it.

Biker

Northern Piedmont of Va. & Middle of Nowhere, W.Va.
    Isn't "following too closely" a traffic offense there? Perhaps a complaint is in order. That guy was threatening your life if he was tailgating - you could even file charges or a civil complaint for assault if you had "a reasonable apprehension of an immediate battery" - i.e., if you thought he was going to hit you.

My approach with tail-gators is to slow down gradually. If they back off, I resume speed. Otherwise, if they plan to hit me, I'd rather they do it at 25 rather than 45. And if they get impatient and go around, so much the better. If the cop stops you for obeying the speed limit to see why you're going so slowly, the simple answer is, "because you're tailgating me, it looked to me as if you planned to ram my car, and I thought that was dangerous driving behavior, so I slowed down so that you'd be less likely to kill me when you hit me."

He's going to be thinking, "If I write this guy up, and he spouts off about that in court, I'm going to lose all credibility with the judge and look like a fool in front of all the other cops." He'll probably just go away. Meanwhile, be sure you notice his name, and badge number if you can.
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

Nothing I say as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice. Legal questions should be presented to a competent attorney licensed to practice in the relevant state.

Quote Originally Posted by user View Post
    That guy was threatening your life if he was tailgating ...
    That's a stretch, being in a 3000-lb metal cage at the time, and being able to simply get into another lane to avoid. I highly doubt any response by you with force would hold up in court.

I was tailgated by an LEO once. It was dark and rainy. I pulled into the next lane and quickly passed the car I had been behind. The LEO zipped up behind me, turned on the lights and pulled me over, charging me with speeding and dangerous driving. It was malarkey, of course, and it was all dismissed due to my actions having been precipitated by his tailgating.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Or he just might have been going the same direction but in a slight hurry. You never know.

Maybe it's because you drive an ex-police vehicle. If he has access to the fact that you have a CCW by running your tags combined with the fact that you're driving something that looks like a state trooper interceptor he is probably thinking you're either a "wannabe" or you're one of those guys that pulls people over to rob them.
    Don't take this as any sort of insult......just saying, if you don't want the attention, get rid of the push bar, put some chrome rims on your car or do something to make it look a little less like a police vehicle.

It could be that the cop really did think you were another LEO and was curious why you were trolling his area.....

Just pull over and he will either go on by or he will be forced to stop you for nothing.

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    About 4 weeks ago, I was coming back from the range--I had taken my oldest grandson out to teach him how to shoot. Coming into town (really small, unincorporated Montana ranching town), I had a county deputy coming towards me--I waved to him (like I do to all LEO's in our area), he turned around and followed me. I made sure to do all the right things--like turn signals, etc (I haven't had an accident or any kind of moving violation in over 30+ years)....

He followed me through town, then out of town, then onto the gravel road and he continued to follow me right up to the point where the road became a private road to the sub-division that my small ranch sits next to. I drive a plain white F350 crewcab dually--about as common a vehicle as you can find out here in ranching country........

It could have been anything, I had a leo follow me once for what appeared to be no reason. when i got home i checked my taillights and found one had come out of its socket, harness and all and was in the trunk. im sure he run a check for warrents and when nothing come back went on about his business.

onanother note a dealer in our town sells surplus city cop.cars with everything still on them, reflective stickers included.

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeephipwr View Post
    Or he just might have been going the same direction but in a slight hurry. You never know.
    I was thinking along those lines. Maybe it was just a coincidence and you happened to be driving in the right place at the right time?
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

He was reading your plate, and running it through the computer. That is what they (you) pay him to do.

Ken

I have had similar, but not the whole way home, instances happen to me. I typically pull in to a store or something, to get off the road and reduce the odds I will screw up somehow with a LEO right behind me.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Don't be so paranoid about it,just go about your business,if he pulls you over then you find out,no big deal,sometimes you have an ******* cop,don't make an issue over it,it happens!

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorblade View Post
    Maybe it's because you drive an ex-police vehicle. If he has access to the fact that you have a CCW by running your tags combined with the fact that you're driving something that looks like a state trooper interceptor he is probably thinking you're either a "wannabe" or you're one of those guys that pulls people over to rob them.

It could be that the cop really did think you were another LEO and was curious why you were trolling his area.....
    Most likely.

Nothing wrong with owning a car that looks like an LEO's. But it may cause one to get checked out. A couple of years ago in VA there was reports of a guy that had an LEO-looking unmarked car and would stop women motorists and assault them. So I'm sure the LEO in this instance was just running the plates.
    "The government who robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul" George Benard Shaw

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links