Las Vegas soon. Alternate preparation ideas?

This is a discussion on Las Vegas soon. Alternate preparation ideas? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Looks like I will be travelling to Sin City for a few days on business soon. I was reading on packing.org about the options I ...

Thread: Las Vegas soon. Alternate preparation ideas?

Las Vegas soon. Alternate preparation ideas?

Looks like I will be travelling to Sin City for a few days on business soon. I was reading on packing.org about the options I have. My permit is not valid in NV, but they seem to be ok with open carry. I personally do not care for the open carry option.

I would like to hear from those of you more familiar with the city and what you generally allow youself to take with you. I will be flying in, as well to really limit my options.

I am not a drinker or a gambler. My business will be daytime only so my best defense will most likely be my schedule and ares of operation.

This is my first business trip since deciding to take full personal responsibilty for my safety, so the thoughts are racing.

On another note, can anyone point me to some interesting places to vist such as gun friendly places of business? Shops, training schools, etc? I should have some time to spend there and have only been in the city one time previous.

2. Remove Ads

Go check out the Public Shooting range in vagas...........They sport a LOT of full suto stuff and handguns.....ALL for rental within the range..........http://www.thegunstorelasvegas.com/

http://www.bargainpawn.com/
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Thanks for that link! I will definitely try to stop in there.

I could be wrong -- others will know -- but I don't believe that open carry is permitted within the city limits of Las Vegas.
    DDGator (Duane)
    www.RealWorldCarryGear.com

1952 - 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by DDGator
    I could be wrong -- others will know -- but I don't believe that open carry is permitted within the city limits of Las Vegas.
    Open carry is permitted any where in Nevada with the exception of North Las Vegas and Boulder City. However, it is generally not looked upon with favor by Metro PD. If you do open carry you will probably get stopped by them at some point and have your day interrupted while they run you through the system to check for warrants etc.

As for the best gun store/range may I suggest visiting The American Gun Club/American Shooters. It's on Spring Mountain and Arville. That is where I do most of my indoor shooting and training. Very classy place for a gun shop. They have numerous guns for rental including several full-auto and a few suppressed weapons.

While you are in town try to stop by the Las Vegas Hilton and say hello. I work security there from 3PM 'till 11PM. Just ask anyone for Bob Ford in security.

Have a great trip.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Thanks for the invite Bob! Looks like I will be out there several times this year, most of them exhibiting at the convention center. If I am not mistaken, is it not fairly close to your place?

It looks like this trip is shaping up to be better than I expected. Since I am flying, and not permitted in NV anyway, I will just plan to be a very alert sheep and have a good time.

Thanks for the ideas!

Michael

1952 - 2006
    The Convention Center is next door to the Hilton. If you happen to be here during my days off (Wed-Thur) I'd be happy to join you at the range.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

If you go to Nevada on a constant basis it may be in your best interest to stay an extra day and take whatever training course they require and then apply for a Non-Res. Permit.

When I go to Reno this summer I plan on doing just this myself.

Wayne

There's open carry in Las Vegas, however I've never seen anybody doing it since I've been here (5 years.)
    I think every old lady is going to call the cops on you if they see you with a gun.
    So what to check out once you are in Vegas....well keep in mind the town is about prostitution and gambling....so you have two options ...not much to see other then the Grand Canyon.
    Death Valley or Lake Mead (for a little boating) are also nice options but takes a little driving to get there.
    Pahrump - Chicken Ranch

Some links you might like:

It's a quality gun shop $7.50 for the range fee:http://www.americanshooters.com/
    I visit the Arville & Spring Mountain location what is about two minutes away from the Strip (Las Vegas boulvard) I have no info about the other location.

Where to go:
    http://www.lasvegas.com/?DCMP=OTC-DEFAULT-RJ-125x125

Front Sight Nevada:
    http://www.frontsight.com/FrontSightNevada/

NEVADA GUN LAWS:
    http://www.packing.org/state/nevada/

Hun..... range cost at American Shooters at Arville is $8 for the day, and something I've never figured out is why American Shooters on Boulder Hwy is $10 per day??? Same outfit, different price, and the Arville range is a better range. Sure better than the $12 per HOUR I paid in San Diego afew weeks back. Another range that is good, for $10 a day, is Discount Firearms on Highland, behind Circus Circus.
    John
    XD40 Service
    S&W638 Airweight .38

Kahr CW9
    Hi-Point 995 Carbine

This is really shping into quite the "to do" list. I usually "work" from 9-3 or so at the show, and then will have some time after that.

If I wasn't flying I would bring something to shoot, but I can probably rent something very similar to the stock glock I shoot.

Thanks again for the tips.

Kastiron...... prepare to be robbed, assaulted, mugged, and other sorts of crimes, as reading yesterday here, that Las Vegas is the most dangerous city in the USA, for the third year in a row. This is from the FBI crime stats. And you wonder why I am moving out of state?? Also, LV is the third "dirtiest" city in the US. Havent figured that out, as our smog is not that bad, so maybe they are speaking of the "dust" we have here when the wind blows.

Actually, if you keep to the populated strip area, you'll be okay except for the pimps, hookers, panhandlers and pickpockets!

When all 4 tv network news stations lead with the latest murder or shooting, and it continues until the weather, you can see they never report anything good going on here, which there is, I have to admit. This town probably gives more to good causes, charities, etc., than any other city/county area in the nation, it's just that because of the gambling and hookers (which are illegal in Clark County) it gets it's bad reputation for the tourist, but you know what?? That doesnt stop over 40 MILLION folks from coming here each year to visit.

Enjoy yourself here. Great dining here, along with some very good shows. Think the other locals here have mentioned the shooting galleries here, and several are just off the strip, namely American Shooters and Discount Shooting.

Have a good time.
    John
    XD40 Service
    S&W638 Airweight .38

Kahr CW9
    Hi-Point 995 Carbine

Interesting place to visit in Lost Wages

Go to the gun shop that's on the street near the MGM end of strip (tropicana?)...I believe it's called the Gun shop.. but you will see ads posted around and for a nominal fee you can rock-N-roll with a real Thompson, UZI, Sten, S&W, MP40 or HK MP-5... These babies will burn 30 rounds at 600+ RPM so bring some bucks..

Kinda fun if you have never fired a subgun before.

Just drove back from 2 days in Vegas today. Met some old friends for our annual get together. I brought my Colt Defender then left it in my room safe while in town.

Burns me up that Arizona recognizes Nevada's permit but they don't recognize ours.

A few of us went to "The Gun Shop" and shot a fully automatic M-16 and an AK-47. If you get a chance to do this, I'd recommend it. You take your pick of machine guns, and can also pick out a target of Osama, Sadaam or a few others.
    "To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them."
    George Mason

"Gun control is a job-safety program for criminals."
    John R. Lott

Links