LEO notification?

LEO notification?

This is a discussion on LEO notification? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm confused about 2 things: 1) What states require LEO notification, and 2) In my state (FL), notification is not required, but if there are ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: LEO notification?

LEO notification?

I'm confused about 2 things: 1) What states require LEO notification, and 2) In my state (FL), notification is not required, but if there are any Florida LEO's here, do you really want to know if I'm carrying, or do you not care?

I've searched the US Gun Laws site, and after getting tired, I gave up trying to find the States that require me to notify. I'm a little nervous to just walk up to a Officer and ask him questions about concealed weapons, and don't have any friends that work in LE.

Thanks
    NRA Member

Inform LEO

Quote Originally Posted by Kaneco View Post
    I'm confused about 2 things: 1) What states require LEO notification, and 2) In my state (FL), notification is not required, but if there are any Florida LEO's here, do you really want to know if I'm carrying, or do you not care?

I've searched the US Gun Laws site, and after getting tired, I gave up trying to find the States that require me to notify. I'm a little nervous to just walk up to a Officer and ask him questions about concealed weapons, and don't have any friends that work in LE.

Thanks
    I took the pro-active approach to asking if I "should" notify the LEO if I'm carrying a weapon during some type of "official" contact. One day as I was arriving home I saw a LEO in my apartment complex. I excused myself and requested to ask him a question. At the time he was doing some paperwork on another matter.

I politely handed the officer my driver's license & my CCW permit. I asked him what is the "best" way to deal with a traffic stop with him as the officer pulling me over. In my case he was very polite and answered my question right then & there. After examining my credentials, he handed them back to me. I then offered my hand which he shook. I then thanked him for his help in answering my question and requested that he stay safe while working.

Don't think twice about asking a LEO what is the "best" way of dealing with a traffic stop while wearing a weapon. Keep in mind I live in Las Vegas, Nevada. This city is a good size and this officer was very polite as well as professional when we spoke. It kind of surprised me how polite he was as well.

Now as to what you legally required to do is another thing entirely. But, I'm looking for what will make any traffic stop go as smoothly & quickly as possible. I'll allow you to decide what works for you.
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

VIP Member
    Handgun laws is the easiest way to find out which states require you notify. If you scroll down the first page of each state it tells you if the state requires informing or not. Nothing hard about it, just takes a few minutes to do it. Just for your info, Oklahoma is a must inform state and Virginia does not require it.

handgunlaws.us

you can click on each state and it will tell you at the top of the new page if they require notification. good luck!
    Protection is a responsibility not just a right.

In lieu of making a mistake what harm is there in always letting LEO know, regardless of the State you are in?

Handgun laws have all the info you need.

In the states you’re not required; I don’t see a reason to bring it up. That is unless they are about to see the firearm.

A good example is a couple years ago; I was stopped by the FWC for a routine boat inspection. The office asked for the normal stuff, and I lifted a hatch and handed him a pelican case. He said “what”, I said on top of the paperwork is my Glock 19, and I don’t want you to get nervous.

He laughed and said, Fish and Game officers are use to speaking with civilian with guns, and handed the case back to me.

I then removed the Glock and handed him the paperwork he asked for.

VIP Member
    It really doesn't matter what a particular officer "wants", it matters what the law requires.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

In Nevada it is NOT required to inform LEOs, but if he runs your drivers license his computer will tell him you have a permit. IMO there is no reason not to tell him first.

Ken

In Ohio, you must inform the LEO that you are carrying if you are. If you are not carrying, you do not have to inform him/her, but it is still a good idea to do so (tell them you are NOT carrying), because if they run your license plates, they will learn you have a CHL. Puts them at ease and will probably/possibly make for a friendlier encounter.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

In Oregon, no laws to reveal you have a permit, or that you're carrying. I haven't been pulled over yet, but I imagine I'll hand him/her my permit and license, then let him/her do the talking.
    It is utterly illogical to believe that passing laws to reduce gun violence will be successful when those who are commiting the gun violence do not obey the law.

Administrator
    PA. Not required to notify.

I tend to think it is better to notify. The LEOs that I have spoken with say that most officers are primarily concerned with their own safety. If you tell them you are armed ahead of time it tends to diffuse their concern.

Exclamation PA

In Pennsylvania, you are not required to notify, and to tell you the truth, I wouldn't bring it up during a normal traffic stop. If it were to come up and the LEO asks...that's when I would declare and show the LTCF.
    SHOOTER13
    ================
    DoD: Peace thru Superior Firepower

Quote Originally Posted by Riccur View Post
    In lieu of making a mistake what harm is there in always letting LEO know, regardless of the State you are in?
    The Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) website has an account of a guy from North Carolina who was stopped by Fairfax County cops who, after he notified (not required), falsely arrested him for "carrying a loaded firearm across state lines", "carrying hollowpoints", and "carrying with an out of state (and recognized) credential". He was immediately released by a magistrate who called it a false arrest. The cops tried unsuccessfully to keep his gun. I believe he's suing the city and the officers for false arrest.

Is that a good enough reason not to notify when it's not required?

Obey the law, nothing more, nothing less.

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    It really doesn't matter what a particular officer "wants", it matters what the law requires.
    Bingo.

I believe in obeying the law, I'm not concerned about the "ease" or "comfort" of strangers, cops or otherwise. My obeying the law is all the "ease" they need.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links