Carrying While on a Date: Consolidated / Merged

This is a discussion on Carrying While on a Date: Consolidated / Merged within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Wondering if anyone has experienced going on a first date with someone that you just recently met ,and they discover you carry. I think if ...

Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Carrying While on a Date: Consolidated / Merged

VIP Member

Carrying While on a Date: Consolidated / Merged

Wondering if anyone has experienced going on a first date with someone that you just recently met ,and they discover you carry. I think if i were a woman and the guy that asked me out was carrying a gun ( these days ) ,especially concealed, I might be a little concerned..Would it be better to just tell them upfront and hope they understand? I mean they dont know you from Adam..Or hope they dont notice and risk them discovering on their own.?

2. Remove Ads

Discovering on their own?!?!? that could be awkward!

I am new to the world of CCW (still waiting for my permit), but I would say that it would have to come down to a comfort level. It might not be how I would start coversation, "Hey guess what I have in my pants"

But if you get to know her, and things look good for a serious relationship, I don't think you would want to hide that from her for very long.

Just my thoughts.
    When the messenger arrives and says 'Don't shoot the messenger,' it's a good idea to be prepared to shoot the messenger, just in case.

Assistant Administrator
    First date? - strategy - and more strategy.

It should be possible to plan such that you can still conceal and keep it that way. Certainly early dates should be manageable and remember hug low!

Later on - if more intimacy then again planning and strategy - plus if it seems prudent. broaching the subject - which will assume considerable familiarity and trust too. At this point if reached - emphasize the protection/safety aspect, which will then not only embrace your own safety but hers also.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Lead Moderator
    I would keep it hidden till you know each other better . I think most women would be concerned , if not downright worried that their date is armed. Better to bring it up later, if you think the relationship might develop.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Yeah, I probably would not carry on a first date. Among other things, it's hard not to drink on a first date (even if it's just wine or beer).

Senior Member Array Joshua M. Smith's Avatar
    I've been on many, many dates over the course of my dating career. I casually drop the firearms thing in one of the first conversations that I ever have with the girl. If she's uncomfortable with guns, then I move on. If not I go sloooowly from there.

Most girls I date, however, carry themselves so it's a non-issue. One recent one told me that she didn't pack out of courtesy to me... and knowing she usually did, I told her that there was a .380 in the glovebox if she got uncomfortable as I was packing my 9mm

We both laughed.

My dates do sometimes fall into the category of the woman being uncomfortable around guns, usually because they're unfamiliar with them, they could accidently go off, etc. Though these women usually don't work out for me, they do go away with a new understanding and appreciation of firearms, and I've actually gotten several women involved in CCW like this. They love the guns but not me Oh well.

My criteria for women is so strict I'll likely never find the right one. Liking, or at least tolerating, guns, and learning gun safety, is someplace at the top.

But, it's the journey, not the destination, eh?

Josh <><

Senior Moderator
    +1 on Katmandoo's and Josh's advice. Don't carry or lock it up in the car on the first date and approach the topic carefully.

Treat "her" like your first date that took you a long time to get. Steve48

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    How about a trip to the range on the first date? That oughtta help...

dates

Having been with my wife for 30years I told her that if anything ever happens to her..GOD FORBID;that I'm advertising for what I want That means a Pro-gun,conservitive,horney wench!
    US Paratroopers give the enemy maxnimum opportunity to give his life for his country

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by katmandoo122 View Post
    Yeah, I probably would not carry on a first date. Among other things, it's hard not to drink on a first date (even if it's just wine or beer).
    Correct me if I'm wrong. I would think I could drink a beer or two and stay under the legal limit and be legal as far as carrying. I would never drink more than that and carry or drive either...

VIP Member
    I do believe keeping it locked in the car would be the best solution. Its just hard not to carry when I know I legally can..If there is a second or third date , carry. By then she would know me a bit and hopefully know my intentions are good.

My last first date was a day-long motorcycle ride along the pony express trail through the desert of western Utah.

I showed up on my bike to pick her up first thing in the morning. She got on the bike behind me, put her arms around me and asked, “What's this lump under your left arm?” I told her it was a .38 in a shoulder holster. I think the date went pretty well. We'll be celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary next summer.
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does, he needs it very badly!" -- Sir Winston Churchill

"He who goes unarmed in paradise had better be sure that is where he is." -- James Thurber

Quote Originally Posted by randytulsa2 View Post
    How about a trip to the range on the first date? That oughtta help...
    Best idea yet!

If your going out on a date and plan to drink, don't carry or don't drink.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold Green View Post
    My last first date was a day-long motorcycle ride along the pony express trail through the desert of western Utah.

I showed up on my bike to pick her up first thing in the morning. She got on the bike behind me, put her arms around me and asked, “What's this lump under your left arm?” I told her it was a .38 in a shoulder holster. I think the date went pretty well. We'll be celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary next summer.
    Oh how romantic..........( great story )

Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Links