TN-->GA-->FL Road Trip Permit Questions>

This is a discussion on TN-->GA-->FL Road Trip Permit Questions> within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm a TN permit holder. I'm driving from TN to FL through GA. I've looked over the law online today. It appears to me that ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By RETSUPT99

Thread: TN-->GA-->FL Road Trip Permit Questions>

TN-->GA-->FL Road Trip Permit Questions>

I'm a TN permit holder. I'm driving from TN to FL through GA. I've looked over the law online today. It appears to me that I can carry in both states. It appears to me that I can carry concealed or open in GA and only concealed in FL (but I will only carry concealed anyway). GA apparently requires a holster if one is conceal carrying - good piece of information for me, sometimes I just drop my Kahr PM or j-frame in my cargo pants pocket, but not in GA. It appears I can enter gas stations that sell beer with my sidearm. Also, as best I can tell, I can go into restaurants with my handgun. I am trying to ascertain if a restaurant that sells beer/wine/liquor is or is not off limits in GA or FL for me while carrying. I don't drink. I've read that I can't go into the "bar" of a restaurant while I'm carrying, but I need better comfort before I go into any full-service restaurant. Is Hooters off limits? My family likes Hooters. Any other nuances of the laws of GA or FL I should know (like ammunition restrictions, magazine capacity restrictions, etc.)? Thanks.

2. Remove Ads

Have you looked here:
    Handgunlaw.us

Have a great trip!

FL is pretty easy to stay safe.
    No open carry.
    No restrictions dealing with alcohol except 'bars', you can enter a restaruant with a bar, but just stay out of the bar area.
    Signs mean nothing, but you'll probably never see one.
    You can carry in banks and churches, and you do not have to inform LE if stopped...but I would out of courtesy.
    Enjoy the GunShine State, bring/spend lots of $$, we need it!
    Stubborn likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Florida: You can go into a restaurant that serves alcohol as long as you stay away from the bar. No limits on mags or capacity. Florida is a Concealed Weapons Permit state, so knives, billy clubs and the sort are OK BUT I don't know if your permit in Florida would cover that. I defer to more astute people for that.
    The whole kit an caboodle is found here.
    Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Quote Originally Posted by jhnpeterman View Post
    Have you looked here:
    Handgunlaw.us

Have a great trip!
    Yes, I looked there. It omitted the Georgia law on holsters, so I lost confidence in that resource.

Welcome to GeorgiaPacking.org is your source for GA law :)

you can carry into resturants that serve alkie(longhorn, applebees etc), just cant drink bars are a no go(unless your military etc under 16-11-130)

if you have a belt clip on your CC gun you dont need a holster

you can carry any gun you want, any magazine etc

GA has a lot of off limits places or "public gatherings" church, games, public building(and 200 yards away) for example interstate rest stops are off limits(another thing handgunlaw.us has wrong) and basically anywhere the public is gathering for a specific event(its a racist law) but a mall is not a PG(according to the attorney general so you can carry there and restaurants inside them etc)
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

I just did the same trip. Im in Florida right now as a matter of fact. In Ga we stayed at a friends and ate in. I did carry in gas stations. Florida is pretty easy. No signs so far and ive been out to eat amost every night. I carried to but not in the disney parks. Seaworld did take my knife that i forgot was clipped in my front pocket. I got it back when i left. Ive carried everywhere else including the malls and city walk and have had no problems. No one even noticed that i know of. Have fun and stay safe.

I go to hooters, I just don't sit at the bar.
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

Thank God in Mississippi if you take a Generic Firearms Training Class you go back up to the Highway Patrol Department with the certificate they will put a IC (Instructor Certified) sticker on the back enabling you to go ANYWHERE in MS but active court rooms, and LEO Stations....I mean anywhere including places with the No Weapons Allowed sticker and places normally off limits to regular Firearms Permit holders...I carry the statute with me everywhere I go so if someone don't know the less than a year old law, I got it for them...lol

Senior Member Array Gary Slider's Avatar
    redstgunnut, There is no requirement to carry in a holster in GA now.

Look at senate bill Georgia General Assembly - SB 308
    It removed the requirement that the firearm be carried in a holster.

The direct link to the bill that passed shows the holster requirement being struck through is Here http://www1.legis.ga.gov/legis/2009_10/pdf/sb308.pdf
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network

I just noticed this thread was started in 2009. The poster above me was in 2012 and that was the only one I looked at for a date. But the GA requirement for carrying in a holster was on the GA Page at Handgunlaw.us. When the law was passed I removed it.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

I'm a longtime Ky CC permit holder & SO VERY MUCH appreciate most of the surrounding states affirming my right to defend myself & recognizing my carry permit in the same manner as they recognize my Ky. Drivers License. As long as I know & respect their traffic laws, my driving will suit them just fine. It's a shame that only Illinois believes its own citizenry and all those of its surrounding states (including Kentucky) are incapable of responsibly carrying a weapon for their own defense. Enjoy your trip South, as I avoid my Northern neighbor at EVERY opportunity.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by rmodel65 View Post
    Welcome to GeorgiaPacking.org is your source for GA law :)

GA has a lot of off limits places or "public gatherings" church, games, public building(and 200 yards away) for example interstate rest stops are off limits(another thing handgunlaw.us has wrong) and basically anywhere the public is gathering for a specific event(its a racist law) but a mall is not a PG(according to the attorney general so you can carry there and restaurants inside them etc)
    The below says different:
    O.C.G.A. 16-11-126
    (g) Notwithstanding Code Sections 12-3-10, 27-3-1.1, 27-3-6, and 16-12-122 through 16-12-127, any person with a valid weapons carry license may carry a weapon in all parks, historic sites, or recreational areas, as such term is defined in Code Section 12-3-10, including all publicly owned buildings located in such parks, historic sites, and recreational areas, in wildlife management areas, and on public transportation; provided, however, that a person shall not carry a handgun into a place where it is prohibited by federal law.

Am I missing something?

HKR
    Quote Originally Posted by mastercapt View Post
    The below says different:
    O.C.G.A. 16-11-126
    (g) Notwithstanding Code Sections 12-3-10, 27-3-1.1, 27-3-6, and 16-12-122 through 16-12-127, any person with a valid weapons carry license may carry a weapon in all parks, historic sites, or recreational areas, as such term is defined in Code Section 12-3-10, including all publicly owned buildings located in such parks, historic sites, and recreational areas, in wildlife management areas, and on public transportation; provided, however, that a person shall not carry a handgun into a place where it is prohibited by federal law.

Am I missing something?
    Look at the date of the post you quoted. The law changed.

That was the part of the law that had the Holster Required to carry that was removed and other items were added. See Page 2 of the bill as signed at
    http://www1.legis.ga.gov/legis/2009_10/pdf/sb308.pdf
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Links