Englishman in Indiana

Englishman in Indiana

This is a discussion on Englishman in Indiana within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well I recieved my Greencard granting me Permanent Resident Status in February. My first "official" use of the card was when I applied for my ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Englishman in Indiana

Well I recieved my Greencard granting me Permanent Resident Status in February. My first "official" use of the card was when I applied for my CCW at the local PD.

8 weeks to the day my card arrived...it was alittle bit of an anti-climax to be honest....a square on a piece of pink paper that required you to cut it out and laminate it yourself.....LOL, but it's valid for my lifetime, so all in all it's a pretty good deal at $125.

I now have two pistols in my collection, a 2.5" 686 in Galco leather, and an XDM9 that sits in Don Hume's beautiful leatherwork.

The only problem I have is with my wife! Guns are not as much a part of everyday life back in the UK as they are here. Guncrime is increasing in the inner city areas back home, but out in the suberbs they are rarely seen. So my desire to wear my gun concealed somewhat puzzels, and very much annoys her.

Anyone else have such spousal problems with CCW?

I don't have "problems" exactly...just a general discomfort. Grats on the permit. Hopefully she'll start ignoring your guns and just accept them.
    Glock 27

"Criminals are a cowardly and superstitious lot."

I think she'll eventually just accept them. My wife was fairly uncomfortable when I first started carrying. After a bit, she'd no kidding ask me after a whole day out "were you carrying?" The answer was yes, and she had no idea. Now she feels a tad bit UNcomfortable if we're out and I'm NOT carrying. Go figure.

Anyway, she'll get used to it, just like you. No worries.

Congrats on the permit, and welcome to the forum.
    Not sure how to deal with the wife's irritation about your Self Protection rights.
    It may just take some time to get her used to the idea that because you have a gun, doesn't make you one of the criminals. (At least not yet.)

Take her to the range and let her shoot with you. She may find out just how much fun the shooting sports really are. Then you will have to get her a gun too.
    It’s so much easier now days, to "Love and honor" my wife, when she is armed, and shoots a better group than I do. (Till death do us part, eh?)

“The way you get shot by a concealed weapons permit holder is, you point a gun at him,” the Sheriff said.

Be kind and gentle with her, but do not allow compromise on the CCW issure. She WILL come around.
    My wife used to ask why I needed to carry in church, that is...until I started sharing all the church shootings noted on this site.
    Now she never bats an eye...it's (Kimber) on the coffee table, the night stand, in the bank, in church, everywhere.
    Actually, after decades of talking, she finally got her permit (several years ago) and carries once in a while...I'm working on her.
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; June 6th, 2009 at 12:52 PM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Like retsupt99 said, no need to push the issue. Just point her towards good resources like this site and good books on the issue. Let her hear both sides. Any reasonable person will see the light.
    NRA Life Member

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    At first my wife was uneasy with my carrying. Now she is uneasy if I'm not.
    NRA Life Member

My Wife problem is affording her guns!
    William Wallace
    Do not stand between Me and Mine!!

My wife is from England and at first she thought the whole concept of owning guns was strange. Now, however, she and all my in-laws are used to the fact and just chalk it up to being part of the American experience.

When they visit, they really really enjoy a day of regional food, a baseball/football game, seeing a yellow school bus, and taking a trip to the firing range. Nothing's more American than that and they love it!
    In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane.
    Oscar Wilde

MJK
    My wife was also uncomfortable at first. I initially attempted to persuade her using the usual "guy" approach. This failed miserably.

Round 2 involved listening to her and talking things out at HER pace - no pressure to move forward or persuade her that my way was right. After mucho hours at the kitchen table she finally said that she would like to try shooting some different handguns. We traveled to ranges in the area and rented different firearms for her to try - and STOPPED when she got tired. I made no suggestions - just let her take the lead. Well, finally one day she made a decision. The Springfield XD9 subcompact was her favorite and she wanted one! I never would have guessed, not in a thousand years.

That was two years ago, and she now sleeps with it on the nightstand next to her side of the bed. She also purchased a Smith & Wesson 642 recently and even has a FL CCW permit.

Continue to be a good, patient husband and she'll come around.

By the way, congratulations on your CCW permit AND your green card. You undoubtedly add to the rich fabric from which this country is woven.
    Last edited by MJK; June 6th, 2009 at 02:25 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by paul1968mcr View Post
    The only problem I have is with my wife! Guns are not as much a part of everyday life back in the UK as they are here. Guncrime is increasing in the inner city areas back home, but out in the suberbs they are rarely seen.
    Don't worry, it will, just like here.

My mother lives in a far south suburb of Chicago. A while ago in the next suburb over, a guy walked into a Lane Bryant clothing store in Tinley Park and shot six women in the head, execution style, killing five of them. He's never been caught. Nobody's ever going to mistake Tinley Park for the South Bronx, but five people are still dead there. All it takes is one guy who doesn't care about gun laws or the laws against murder. Of course in Illinois, those women were helpless victims by law. Count yourself fortunate to be in Indiana.

If your wife doesn't see the need for you to carry, you might want to Google that incident and show it to her. My mother doesn't think I should carry here in Ohio either. I asked her if she was volunteering to be my bodyguard. She declined.

Quote Originally Posted by paul1968mcr View Post
    ... So my desire to wear my gun concealed somewhat puzzels, and very much annoys her.

Anyone else have such spousal problems with CCW?
    You carry all the time because you never know just when you're going to need it; you never know if today is gonna be the day.

My wife never really had a problem w/me carrying but now, after a few years, she's definitely for it. Now, whenever we go anywhere she always puts her arm around my waist to make sure I'm carrying. We had to make a quick trip to Phoenix last winter and before we got out of the driveway she asked "You brought your gun didn't you?"
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

VIP Member
    Remind her your doing it both your and her well being. Show her newspaper clippings of crimes in your area also. Don't push her, but keep reminding her gently that life can be dangerous.

I guess I'm really lucky as far as the wife goes. I've always had guns around the house since I was a teenager, and have done some competitive shooting over the years. My wife had shot some IHMSA . 22 in the past, but sold that gun several years ago. After the election, all of a sudden she decided she wanted her own gun again. She talked to some people at work who shoot and studied my back issures of American Rifleman. We went and rented some different guns at a range and she settled on a Beretta PX4 Storm in .40S&W. Also, a friend of hers from work went with us, and she and her husband both purchased new guns that day. It was my wife who first brought up the idea of taking the Concealed Carry class. So far, she isn't carrying, but I am. So, you might take her to a range and see if she likes shooting. More and more women are doing it all the time. By the way, I grew up in Gary. It's a good place to be from (I left in 1960)--about as far from as you can get.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Do what I do....wear your gun in IWB or OWB or whatever and, put an oversized tee shirt on or some other garment and hide the gun. She will not notice and never say a word. Then, when [if] the gun is ever needed, she will be oh so glad you had it on you.

I will never forget the time wife and I were sleeping in a motel in Maggie Valley, NC and there was an argument going on outside and people were shouting that they were going to do this and that to each other. The wife asked "did you bring a gun?"
    My answer was "of course". She slumped back into a good sleep soon afterward.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links