Thank heaven for the trigger guard.

This is a discussion on Thank heaven for the trigger guard. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Today was my first day wearing my IWB holster. I am still waiting for my CCL to show up in the mail but I wanted ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Today was my first day wearing my IWB holster. I am still waiting for my CCL to show up in the mail but I wanted to be comfortable with the holster so I went unarmed. While at work a co-worker came up behind me and said BOO! while putting her hands around my hips instead of the shoulders and back like most people would do. Her hand pushed right on the top of my holster and hip - right where my gun will be.

The first thing through my mind was "Oh crap she would have felt my gun" a split second later "*lots of swearing* my gun could have gone off" then after thinking for a second I realized that the trigger guard was large enough for this situation. I was caught off guard by this, it never even crossed my mind that someone I work with would get their hands so close to me in this way without warning. My color code for the day = Blindingly White.

How have you dealt with situations like this? Nothing like this was covered in either of my 2 CC classes, and I know it doesn't seem like a big deal but it just occurred, so it is still a big deal to me. Any tips from similar experience? Can you think of other situations like this that I will most likely encounter while I am carrying? Thanks for the help.
    Is this going back more future than we were?

We don't react, we respond.

I am confused how her grabbing the top (back of the slide) would have made the gun fire? If your IWB does not cover the trigger then you need a better holster.
    The 6 P's
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss-Poor Performance

No man who refuses to bear arms in defense of his nation can give a sound reason why he should be allowed to live in a free country" T. Roosevelt

If you're really worried, don't carry chambered while at work!
    It is utterly illogical to believe that passing laws to reduce gun violence will be successful when those who are commiting the gun violence do not obey the law.

we have a no hug policy at work....;-)
    Vince K
    Aerospace Designer, Freemason, NRA member

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner69 View Post
    I am confused how her grabbing the top (back of the slide) would have made the gun fire? If your IWB does not cover the trigger then you need a better holster.
    It would have been the side of the slide and top of the holster but either way it wouldn't have made the gun fire. I went through surprise, shock and then rational thought. This was the first time I have worn it, I just got it today. I made sure my firearm fit correctly and then hooked it to my belt and went to work without the firearm. It took me a second to think about the position and what was exposed when my firearm was in the holster and what my co-worker would have grabbed/touched. Then I knew what would have happened if I were carrying tonight: nothing.

That still didn't stop the surprise and shock during the situation. I was caught totally off guard by a situation I hadn't even conceived of, and it took me a moment to recover. Now that I think about it that was a very effective distraction.

No hugs at work?? I won't have anything to wake up for!
    Is this going back more future than we were?

We don't react, we respond.

Quote Originally Posted by fogish View Post
    ...While at work a co-worker came up behind me and said BOO! while putting her hands around my hips instead of the shoulders and back like most people would do. Her hand pushed right on the top of my holster and hip - right where my gun will be...

...Can you think of other situations like this that I will most likely encounter while I am carrying? Thanks for the help.
    Just someone coming up from behind me and putting their hands around me (yelling, "Boo!") would be enough for a 'reaction' from me. They would be the one getting surpised.

First of all I am always aware of who is around me, even at church. I have had some hugs or pats on the back (I carry IWB/SOB) but only a couple people have come near my holster and neither had a reaction...probably thought it was some kind of medical equipment .
    I have never thought about my sidearm going off...can't happen when a holster is used.

I can't think of any other situations where this might happen outside of family get-togethers...lots of hugs.
    No place that I have worked would have people planting surprise hugs on anyone from behind.

Stay armed...watch your back...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Sounds like a potential "unwelcome advance" creating a "hostile environment." Just yell sexual harassment and take the initiative back.
    Still Clingin'

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Came up behind you and touched you?
    Uh oh, if somebody come up behind me and touches me they are quite likely to find out just how good my reflexes are, along with how well I can balance on one foot.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Sounds like you just need to work on you situational awareness. No big deal experience is the name we give to our mistakes.
    There's nothing wrong with shooting so long as the right people get shot. -- Dirty Harry Calahan

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny85 View Post
    Sounds like you just need to work on you situational awareness.
    Absolutely! If she's grabbing you there to "boo" you it sounds like she may have some other interests in you!

That why I carry in a small belt pack a lot.
    If someone does hug you its no problem at all.
    You can also try carrying in the 6 O'Clock position
    IWB so the gun is not on your side.
    Its funny, my mom hugs me every time I go visit
    and always hugs me and my gun .
    It happens so often she doesn't commit or miss a beat
    She now knows that where I go ,my gun go with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Cycler View Post
    Absolutely! If she's grabbing you there to "boo" you it sounds like she may have some other interests in you!
    Yes , sounds like she 'gunning ' for you
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    Too soon to make an "is that a gun in your waistband or are you just happy to see me?" joke? ;)
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

I wouldn't mind a good hug... well, I guess it depends on who is doing the hugging.

If you expect more of this, or if the potential for a hug will always be there, perhaps you might consider a SmartCarry. If she hugs you there, well, I guess her intentions would be clear.

VIP Member
    I agree that she may be "advancing" on you. Perhaps your reaction should be according to that!
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Yes ... thank goodness!!!

I shudder to think about the what could have happened if you had actually had a gun in your holster!!! Why .... we could have had a Plaxico Burris situation ... gaping hole in your thigh ... the shock and horror of your coworkers. The EMT's and rescue teams. The police reports. Heavens to Mergatroids! It could have been a complete media circus!

Thank goodness you did not actually HAVE A GUN IN THE HOLSTER. and thank goodness there is an actual trigger guard on the holster that is devoid of a gun.

That was a close one buddy! <whew> Disaster narrowly averted.

Seriously though ... and I should start my own thread with this, but ... am I the only one who has read hundreds of posts on here and often shake my head because I see a lot of people who are a little TOO excited about carrying a gun.

I have been carrying for about 20 years, some as a private detective and the rest as just a guy who doesn't want to need it and not have it. But at no time did I view it as more than a tool and a serious responsibility. I do not think that having this tool on my person imbues me with some special powers and it does not make me special and it does not make me refer to everyone else I see who may (or may not) be carrying as sheep. Lotta people I see writing here come off as if they are on some higher plane of existence because they have a gun on. The can't wait to fore off a line about how they had to inform the cop he was carrying "AND HE WAS ACTUALLY COOL ABOUT IT!!! or "OMG I WAS WALKING INTO THE 7-11 TO GET A DOUGHNUT, READY FOR ACTION, AND THE WIND WAS PRINTING MY GUN ON MY T-SHIRT!!!!!! WHEW, THAT WAS CLOSE!!!!!"

It is important to feel out your holster but it is pointless to wear it without a gun in it because until then, it does not have the proper heft and dimensions, etc. So it is a bit "overanxious" to be walking around wearing an empty holster. My opinion at least.

I have gotten a LOT of great info from this site and I am not disrespecting anyone. We all have a common thread here in that we have taken steps to exercise a right from which all others flow. That's great and I applaud all of you. And I know some of this stuff I read is very tongue in cheek with the Wally World Walks, (well at least I hope it it is). But am I the only one who gets the impression that there are a lot of people writing in this forum that almost worship their guns?

Check out the "Do you carry in your home thread". We got people out in the boonies who whose only visitor is the UPS guy bringing them more gun parts and they are talking about they answer the door with a pistol IN HAND and the Mossy on standby.

One thing I hate about liberals is how they think they are the only ones who have a handle on how things should be run and the rest of us are just there to shut up, foot the bill. But how is that any different than all this "sheep" talk.

"Yeah, I walked into Wal-Mart right past all the sheep. They had no idea of the awesome power at my disposal right there on my hip, separated from them only by a thin layer of cotton." I have read posts whose tone is very similar to that.

Noone is more conservative than me and I have been carrying a long time and I have actually had to draw mine before. But I think that the type of personality who walks around all day vibrating and thinking "Yippee, I have a gun, I'm special" is not really well suited to carry.

I apologize for ranting a little bit here, and for diverting the topic of this thread, and I will probably get slapped. Not meaning to offend (Because we wouldn't want THAT to happen!) but just wanted to put down some thoughts.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links