Night sights

This is a discussion on Night sights within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Wayne The Kimber has factory installed night sights (so I don't know what ones they used) and my USP has Trijicon night ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Night sights

The valley of the sun scorched earth(Phx,Az)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne
    The Kimber has factory installed night sights (so I don't know what ones they used) and my USP has Trijicon night sights.

The reason that I bought Trijicon is because it was a deal I couldn't pass up. I got 50% off the price due to I won a drawing they were having.

So a pair of Trijicon night sights for 49.00, my choice of gun model.

I like them and I can pick up the sights faster at night. Also, it's nice to look over at the gun and see it "looking" back at you.

Wayne

Kimber uses Meprolite Nite Sights. My Pro Tactical has them and I love them!
    NRA Life Member USCCA Member

Freedoms Precious Metals:Gold, Silver and Lead

"You may find me one day dead in a ditch somewhere. But by God, you'll find me in a pile of brass."~~ Tpr. M. Padgett

Kimber Tactical Pro II w/EE over 2000 rnds NO MALFUNCTIONS

2. Remove Ads

I have Mepro's on my Glock, Trijicon's on my Beretta, and the Siglite's on my 229. I think the Mepros are larger and brighter than the other two, which I like for the front site, but would prefer smaller and darker or different color for the rear. They all work well. The latest issue of Handguns magazine has a good article on night sites.

No on night sights

I finished a night class in the use of flashlights and shooting. This class taught me a great deal about using flashlights and also instinctive shooting without sights. One of the things we also did as a class was to watch other students come into the room with their flashlight to see how easy it would be to be the BG and pick them off. One thing we found was that the guys with the night sights, glowed so much we could watch them walk through the room without them having to use a flashlight. After seeing that, no night sights for me.

I just installed a set of Ameriglo "Smooth Slopes", which are made by trijicon, on my glock 19 and I like them very much. I have a Meprolight front sight for my Ruger SP101, unfortunately the gun is at the factory so I haven't really gotten to form an opinion on it yet.
    The Ameriglos were easy to install, no sight pusher needed, and I believe once zeroed in and a little locktite applied to the rear allen screws they should stay in place just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin
    I use XS Big Dots. I don't shoot for accuracy so I don't need regular night sights. 87% of all shootings happen within 5 feet anyways. Big Dots are the only ones that make sense to me for CCW
    Like Bud, I prefer Trijicon or people that use their tubes.

Justin, not to be nosey, but where did you get that 87% 5' number from??
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

I have factory installed Meprolight night sights on my Kimber Raptor-I'm very pleased with them. Practical for concealed carry? Anything that may give me an edge in a stress situation-i,e,. night sights, flashlights,laser grips- any of these items could be practical depending upon the situation.
    "Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice; ammo is cheap, life is expensive."

Senior Member Array Ride4TheBrand's Avatar
    Honestly, I see little reason for night lights on a self defense weapon. Now, if I wanted to do some moonlight shootin' out on the back 40, well... ok.

Otherwise, IMO, they're not tactical or practical. I can point and shoot with the best of 'em.
    "We must remember that one man is much
    the same as another, and that he is best
    who is trained in the severest school."
    ~Thucydides, History of the Peloponnesian War

I prefer the Heinie Straight eight Night sights,... Alll i have to do is Stack the dots one on top of the other & pull the bang switch... I really like the Heinnie Straight eights . they are super bright & also the rear sight is serrated so you dont get any glare off it.
    Stupidity cannot be cured with money, or through education, or by legislation. Stupidity is not a sin, the victim can't help being stupid. But stupidity is the only universal capital crime; the sentence is death, there is no appeal and execution is carried out automatically and without pity.

Thanks to all for great feedback
    -Bill

"Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

I have Met pro's on all my Kimbers witch works for me . And I practice the cigar hold with my Surefire Z2 together it's a pair of Aces.
    [B]Kurt Pietrzak
    [I]Maricopa Shooting Service
    S.W.A.T. ( South West Airsoft Tactical )
    CCW Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor
    Maricopa ,AZ. 85239

I have Mep-Pros on all my Kimbers and practice the cigar hold with my Z2 together they are a pair of Aces.
    [B]Kurt Pietrzak
    [I]Maricopa Shooting Service
    S.W.A.T. ( South West Airsoft Tactical )
    CCW Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor
    Maricopa ,AZ. 85239

Administrative Ban Array Bruces45's Avatar
    I don't have night sights, but have found the sights on my XSE to be very very good in all conditions. Even at low light they are still visible, and in darkness with a flashlight they are totaly visible.

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    I have a pair on a Sig GSR, but only because it came with them. I'm trying to figure out when it would be dark enough to see them, but not too dark to ID the target.

I think a light source (like the kind operated by the switch on the wall or a flashlight outside) and either standard sights or fiber optic sights would be better.

OD*
    I'm trying to figure out when it would be dark enough to see them, but not too dark to ID the target.
    There are many instances that it can happen. Try an experiment, stand in a darkened bedroom (any room really) and aim into a room with a weak light source. I have had a couple of experiences that have convinced me of their usefulness on a weapon.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Night sights...

I prefer to use point shooting... I also have a surefire X200b if I want to light things up...

I too have found that when dark adapted, nights sights can paint you to a BG that might be looking your way. I'd rather have the element of surprise.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links