Night sights - Page 4

Night sights

This is a discussion on Night sights within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; All of my personal weapons (except my 642) wear Meprolight Green Front/Orange rear NS. My issue weapon has a front Siglite only... I STRONGLY prefer ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Night sights

All of my personal weapons (except my 642) wear Meprolight Green Front/Orange rear NS.

My issue weapon has a front Siglite only...

I STRONGLY prefer the Green/Orange combo - provides a clear sight alignment that's fast in the dark - green dot really "jumps out" in contrast to the rear orange sights...

Regards,

Kevin
    "Fast is fine, accuracy is final..."

One thing I can say... If using a shotgun for defense, at night, having a tritium bead way out there on the end of a 20 inch barrel is INDISPENSABLE.

You can't even see a nonilluminated bead 20 plus inches out if it's in low light conditions.

And contrarily to common belief, you do have to aim a shotgun.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by kjdoski View Post
    All of my personal weapons (except my 642) wear Meprolight Green Front/Orange rear NS.

My issue weapon has a front Siglite only...

I STRONGLY prefer the Green/Orange combo - provides a clear sight alignment that's fast in the dark - green dot really "jumps out" in contrast to the rear orange sights...

Regards,

Kevin
    Yep, if I ever get a another set of 3 dot tritiums, it will definitely be a 2 color combination! No question.

Right now, I'm loving the XS Big Dot tritiums with the dot and vertical bar for a vertical sight alignment as opposed to the traditional horizontal 3 dot alignment.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I have the factory Mepro's on both my Kimbers. Also have factory tritium sights on my Uzi Eagle.

They're no different than regular white-dot sights in the day time, and provide a distinct advantage in the dark. Lots of good points have been made, I'll just especially mention one that Bark'n made, that they make a lot of sense when the target is illuminated and the weapon is not. I use a Surefire G2Z, and also have an M3X rail light on my Desert Warrior (primary HD handgun). I've practiced and also hunted with it at night, and the tritium sights make a big difference. As Bark'n also said, not every tool is useful all the time, but it helps to have options, which can give you an edge when it counts.

I do think when it comes time to replace the lamps on mine, I'd go with a different front sight color. That would be a useful mod.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

I have owned and shot many guns both with and without night sights. The truth is that I really prefer a gun without them.

It's almost impossible to find night sights that are not also "white dot" sites, which totally kill me in terms of the time it takes to acquire a good sight picture. There is no doubt that there are some times when night sights would work better than nothing, or nothing + flashlight... but I think I'm willing to take that trade off in general.

My EDC does include a Surefire.

P.S. Of all the night sights I tried, I definitely preferred a meprolight green front sight with regular blade rear (no inserts).

OD*
    It's almost impossible to find night sights that are not also "white dot" sites,
    Heinie-Trijicon, I have two sets, all you see is the fine silver line of the vial (and you have to look for it), no white plastic. On Brownells web page they look like they are, but they're not.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links