I need your help

I need your help

This is a discussion on I need your help within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've covered this before, but I need some advice this round. I attend a private university where guns are banned on campus. Period . I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need your help

Exclamation I need your help

I've covered this before, but I need some advice this round. I attend a private university where guns are banned on campus. Period . I recently learned that the Chief of University Police can give me a waiver and I could carry my concealed weapon problem free. I want to go talk to him but know I'm going to need an air tight reason. I figured if I got all of your brains together we could come up with something good. I appreciate your help.
    "Never turn your back on a threatened danger and try to run away from it. If you do that, you will double the danger. But if you meet it promptly and without flinching, you will reduce the danger by half. Never run away from anything. Never!"
    -- Winston Churchill

T2
    why is your reason for having a ccw now?

The second amendment is very clear, to me that's all one needs for a reason.

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

He shouldn't need a reason above and beyond the desire to protect himself from unforeseen situations. Besides, many people get mugged, robbed, raped, murdered, etc on college campuses.
    Driver carries less then $20 of remorse.

I think if you show him your CCW, tell him that that you want a waiver because it seems a little funny that you can carry legally everywhere in the state except on campus (the reason for the waiver, is that the University knows that it cannot ban outright because they would face a legal challenge from the NRA therefore the police waiver is there). Speak mater factly and ask if there is a range near campus where his officers qualify and tell him you would be more than willing to demonstrate that you are safe, secure and proficient and that you would take the CCW (on campus) responsibly.

Assistant Administrator
    You should have all your reasons for wanting to pack already established.

Bottom line would be IMO the simple fact that you hold a valid CCW - you are a proven 'GG' and see little reason to have to relinquish your very basic right of self defence within the campus. Why should you be any greater a risk under those conditions than any others when you are in fact carrying elsewhere.

I doubt you could claim any ''special reasons'' any more than another CCW who might also wish to be given a waiver. Your airtight reason is quite simply a continuance of your right, with zero threat.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar

Smile Guys,

Platitudes are nice , but His question is really about how to deal
    Rationally with an Authority figure who has the Power to
    grant him "privileges" while he lives in an "unfree" Society.
    (the College Campus)

It's similar to dealing with Military Life (or Junior High) .

cougartxn- you need to present your "good citizen" resume , and
    prepare for a civil debate on the realities of crime on campus.
    Do your Homework , and approach it similarly to a job
    interview.

Remember , First Impressions are everything , and in a Debate,
    it's not about who's right - it's about WINNING!
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

You are also showing that you are a responsible gun owner by comming to him/them, rather than to carry W/O a waiver. Point out to him that if done correctly, he wouldn't have known you were packing anyway!! Perhaps ask him if he'd like to go shooting sometime (and be buds.. ).

Quote Originally Posted by cougartxn
    I've covered this before, but I need some advice this round. I attend a private university where guns are banned on campus. Period . I recently learned that the Chief of University Police can give me a waiver and I could carry my concealed weapon problem free. I want to go talk to him but know I'm going to need an air tight reason. I figured if I got all of your brains together we could come up with something good. I appreciate your help.
    See what you can find out about the Chief of University Police, since he seems to be the one with the ability to grant a 'waiver'. Ask folks who also work on campus what he's like, and so forth.

Maybe you'll get a 'heads up' on what to say or not say. At the very least it can't hurt to find out what he's like. All the best to you.
    "To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them."
    George Mason

"Gun control is a job-safety program for criminals."
    John R. Lott

I appreciate all your advice guys. I understand what you mean about my reasons and I have them. I suppose I was just seeing if any of you have had similar situations with work, etc. What you all have said makes sense and I'm off to do some homework. Thanks again.
    "Never turn your back on a threatened danger and try to run away from it. If you do that, you will double the danger. But if you meet it promptly and without flinching, you will reduce the danger by half. Never run away from anything. Never!"
    -- Winston Churchill

Lead Moderator
    While no special reason for a on campus CCW should be needed, the real world likes to be difficult. IMO, we all should be able to carry almost anywhere, crime does not avoid gun free zones.

You can explain to him, that you only want to be a law-abiding individual, and only want to go the legal way, and RESPECT HIS AUTHORITY while on campus. Ask for his permission to legally carry within his Juristiction and ask if you may have a waiver in order to legaly carry on campus..See what he has to say, and present yourself as a GG to him.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Maybe mention how you know the Police aren't there to serve as personal bodyguards and your personal protection is primarily your responsibility. That being said the if it is a large campus you could mention that the campus police to student ratio could be even less than the ratio of the entire city. Not sure about that one, more reseach is necessary.

It appears to me what he was seeking wasn't "a reason" as much as information and facts from a like-thinking group who have chosen to pool there knowledge on this forum, so he could have a more competent and effective argument to be used to justify his point of view. The point of view being what many of us believe to be our RIGHTS.

I have no doubt that the Chief will say NO. It is not in his best interests to award such a waiver and only opens himself up to professional liability. The Chief would only do it if his boss or bosses ordered him to, which might happen if they believed you had the backing to sue as a test case and then they might give you the waiver and start looking for ways to make it more difficult to get a waiver while avoiding a precedent setting case. I think the Gov't doesn't want guns anywhere and would back the school.

Good Luck and God Bless
    Lions, Tigers, Bears and MTGun! Oh My!

Campus Carry Permits

Perhaps you might approach the chief to determine the amount of campus security, the number of officers, hours of security, etc. I would ask about the history of campus crime and the nature of the crimes. This could lead into your concern for a campus carry permit, explaining that you know the police can't be everywhere all the time and while you appreciate their efforts you believe as many,m that responsible gun owners need the availability of self protection. Tell him any other unique reasons you need a permit compared to those who do not. Let him knowyou are a responsible person, etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links