Almost had to use it at the ATM this evening...

This is a discussion on Almost had to use it at the ATM this evening... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It was close to 9pm and I am walking my dog after dinner when the wifey calls me asking me to get cash out of ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

It was close to 9pm and I am walking my dog after dinner when the wifey calls me asking me to get cash out of the ATM which is a minute from where I live.

So I walk up to the bank next door and notice 2 guys smoking near the intersection. As I walk to take the cash out, I sense something in the corner of my eye and it didn't feel right.

Mind you, I had my dog on his leash in my left hand, my wallet in my right hand and I was punching in the numbers for the ATM with the same hand! Not a very "tactical" use of my hands in that situation. I notice the guys coming closer and they both get on either side of me. Usually whenever people want to use the ATM, they get in line and keep a safe distance. These two were almost over my shoulder.

My Jack Russel, who thinks he is a pitbull, jumped on the guy on my right and went for his ankles. This threw them back a little. By then I had the money in my hand and pulled my card out. My dog's reaction scared the 2nd guy who was going, "control your dog, man!"

The first guy then asks me if I can spare a dollar. They kept coming closer as they knew I my dog was leashed and I was pulling him back. By then I had my right hand on my handgun. One of them saw it and they both took off running.

I just got home. I am glad I didn't have to use it or even take it out.

I usually never walk upto an ATM. I take the car and go to the drive through. Taking money out of an ATM with a dog in one hand and a wallet in another in a bad neighborhood isn't a very good idea.
    Vince K
    Aerospace Designer, Freemason, NRA member

Good. That's why we carry brother. No Rambo stuff just used your gun to defend yourself. I think those boys got the point. Don't You?
    For the stength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack. - R. Kipling

Romans 1:22 Claiming to be wise, they became fools [professing to be smart, they made simpletons of themselves].

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Glad it all worked out.

Of course in hindsight, it is easy to armchair quarterback. Maybe when the guy told you to control your dog you could have said something like, "he would be a lot better behaved if you kept your distance". Oh, wait, how about, "he just got back from his Blackwater training session and is itching to try out his new skills". Naaa.

Well, glad you were OK and didn't have to shoot anyone.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Glad that you are Ok and that you didn't have to shoot

One of the things that has always bugged me about ATMs is the huge blind spot behind you as you face into the machine. I wonder if we could do something to pressure banks into putting a fisheye mirror above the ATM, that way we could maintain a larger situational awareness.

Hind-sight is always 20/20. An option might have been, when you turned around to find these two bozos on either shoulder, would have been to drop the leash to your dog. Let him be a free agent of distraction while you moved and got some distance between you and these guys who were not acting in a friendly manner. Here in Montana, under our new law, you could have drawn and displayed your weapon without fear of reprisal by the justice system.

Kudos on getting through what easily could have turned into a robbery or killing.

It may be easy to "armchair quarterback," but now you'll better be able to reconsider the risks of:
    • Generally speaking, doing something at night, alone, that takes your attention away from a pair of inbound folks acting as a team who don't have your best interests at heart.
    • Doing ATM work at 9pm, at a walk-up ATM.
    • Doing ATM work with something else to occupy your attention from your surroundings (ie, the dog ... unless that dog is trained, large and assertive enough to be an effective deterrent).
    • Continuing to approach the ATM in spite of having noticed a pair of loitering males at a corner, smoking, watching what you're doing.
    • Allowing a pair of folks to come right up on you while you continue to be heads-down at the ATM, instead of turning to face the potential incoming threat.
    • Doing any of the above with failure to be wearing that "BlackWater / GunSite / Thunder Ranch / Aikido / Tornado" shirt with the big logo on the back.

Now, we've all likely done many of the above. But, there's risk involved, as you've seen.

The first guy then asks me if I can spare a dollar. They kept coming closer ... One of them saw [the gun] and they both took off running.
    Proof that your spidey-sense was spot-on.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    I'm not going to say a word about going to the ATM... I'm just glad nothing really bad happened!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

It ended well

You've gotten some really good feedback. I'll just add that I'm glad you're safe.
    NRA member
    GrassRoots GunRights SC member
    Walther PPS .40 / KelTec P3AT

Sounds like you made it through the 'interview'...these guys were NOT planning on some nice conversation.
    Being alert is as important as having the weapon.

Stay armed...know your surroundings...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Good job on being alert to them. And a good job to your dog! There's a reason they say Jack Russels are so smart!
    "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

I know it was pretty naive of me to walk to an ATM at 9pm...I should have known better. However when you're in the middle of it, you least expect something negative to happen. And then it does.

I wish I was wearing a Marines/Army/Blackwater shirt (I don't own any), I was just wearing my old Microsoft shirt....that pretty much says...yes I am a geek come rob me...you're sure to get an iPod or a Zune!

I am thankful for my Jack Russel to react sooner than me. The incident did shake me up a little bit and taught me a valuable lesson. Next time I drive upto the ATM and make sure the place is well lit and its at a decent hour.
    Vince K
    Aerospace Designer, Freemason, NRA member

Glad it all worked out OK. Stay safe.

Good to hear everything worked out for the best in this situation. Good dog too, he did his job admirable. Stay safe.

Distinguished Member
    You came home with the dog and the cash. Did not even need to pull the gun and your message got recieved. The sad thing is---- this is the world we live in.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    GOOOOOD DOG! Your JRT deserved a nice Porterhouse for that! :) Glad you were aware and armed, and that you were able to de-escalate before anything really bad happened.

You can always tell people you're out for one last walk with the dog, the judge ordered him destroyed because he ripped a man's scrotum. Well, that's what I tell people who approach with "funny" vibes. They usually cross the street VERY quickly.
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

Your experience highlights the value of an alert dog. I've kept a Jack Russel for a friend on several occasions. I could never own one. I'm not secure enough to live with a dog who's I.Q. is higher than mine.

If your dog is your partner in terms of situational awareness, it doesn't need to be a large, powerful dog. It's your "alarm". Your gun it ready to protect you, should the need arise.

Thanks for sharing your story. Glad it ended well.

PC

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links