Deputized mall security guards

This is a discussion on Deputized mall security guards within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently learned that a shopping mall here has security officers that claim to be fully deputized, and they can do everything the local PD ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Deputized mall security guards

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar

I recently learned that a shopping mall here has security officers that claim to be fully deputized, and they can do everything the local PD does. Which brings up a question. If your sidearm is ever discovered by these so called "deputized" security guards, and they order you to the ground and wish to disarm you, would you allow them?

Note these guys are also armed and you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between them and a police officer until you look at their uniform badge. They even wear bullet resistant vests. I usually carry concealed in this particular shopping mall and have never seen any indication that they prohibit weapons on or in the property.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    If they are fully deputized than I would think it would be the same as resisting a police officer. I find it hard to belief........unless they go thru the same training.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SubNine View Post
    I recently learned that a shopping mall here has security officers that claim to be fully deputized
    I'd call BS on that one.
    Secret Spuk and oldman45 like this.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

You might want to check with your local LEO to see if it is true or not.

Doesn't make sense. They are leo or they are not. If they are sworn they should be/have leo badge. As far as going to the ground....concealed means concealed so it should never be a problem. It would never be a problem for me. YMMV
    oldman45 likes this.
    “The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.”.... Albert Einstein

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

In Minnesota you need to have a valid Peace Officer's license to perform police duties. The license requires eight weeks of training, continuing training and qualification. Do you really think mall cops are going to have that?

I'd call the police department and ask. If they are deputized, they have the same restrictions on questioning as the police, you can choose not to talk to them. They can't take you down or remove a legally carried weapon without probably cause. I'd almost like to see them do it because I'd sue their ****** and end up owning the mall before I was done.
    ‎An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine. I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force, nor is it wise for such a person to expect it. -- Isaiah Amberay

I sense MALL NINJAS
    One more step and it's on!

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    Check with your local LEO Department. It is very possible for the Mall Security to be licensed in such away as to have Full Police Powers when on duty on Mall property. I guarntee you that they are not carrying weapons without having the authority to do so.

But your best source of this information is from your local Sheriff or Police Chief, not internet "experts".
    Rabbit212 and mkh like this.
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by SubNine View Post
    a shopping mall here has security officers that claim to be fully deputized, and they can do everything the local PD does.
    I find this very hard to believe. Sounds to me like they're trying to bluff their way into making people comply. If you really want to uncover the truth, find out specifically which PD supposedly deputized them, and then call that PD to verify.

Quote Originally Posted by digitalexplr View Post
    It is very possible for the Mall Security to be licensed in such away as to have Full Police Powers when on duty on Mall property.
    I betting that you're right. They likely have some sort of armed security guard license, rather than actually being deputized LEO's.

Texas, for example, has a bureau within the Dept. of Public Safety that regulates private security. An armed security guard license allows limited powers on private property of their employer, but nothing more. I'm not very familiar with what it entails, but it is certainly not a LEO deputization.

Gecko45, Is that you???
    ws76133 likes this.
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dripster View Post
    I sense MALL NINJAS
    I think Dripster called it!
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

Ask to see their commission card. I know in my state if asked a law enforemcent officer has to show their credentials. If they don't have one, they are full of it, which is what I am guessing they are. It could be possible that they are part of some reserve program though.
    ‘‘To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.’’

— George Mason

I found out when I was working security at their transit center for the public transportation system. I didn't ask to see their credentials, I just sort of brushed it off, but then it got me thinking about being disarmed by them. They were telling me the only thing APD does is haul off their prisoners, but I will certainly be contacting the police department about this.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

HAHAHA! I was waiting for the Gecko45 reference....

That made my day, it looks like we have finally located the elusive Mall Ninja!
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by edr9x23super View Post
    HAHAHA! I was waiting for the Gecko45 reference....

That made my day, it looks like we have finally located the elusive Mall Ninja!
    LOL you wish I was that clown!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links