NJ gun laws

This is a discussion on NJ gun laws within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'll be in NJ for 2 days in a few weeks, my gun will be in a locked in a container in the trunk. Can ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NJ gun laws

NJ gun laws

I'll be in NJ for 2 days in a few weeks, my gun will be in a locked in a container in the trunk.

Can I bring HP or do I need to bring FMJ ammo?
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government".
    Patrick Henry

2. Remove Ads

EW3
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy McC View Post
    I'll be in NJ for 2 days in a few weeks, my gun will be in a locked in a container in the trunk.

Can I bring HP or do I need to bring FMJ ammo?
    Do you plan on spending some time in jail?

I hope this post is a joke, as what you are planning on doing is considered a felony in the People's Republik of New Jersey.
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

Yeah, NJ is a great place to be FROM, but not friendly to guns right now. Best hope they don't have some reason to find it, you'll be doing some time. I don't think they honor anyone's CCW but their own, and just about nobody in NJ can get one.
    Guns don't kill people.
    Gaping wounds in vital organs do.
    ============
    NRA Life Member
    Colt M1911A1 / H&K USP45

IIRC HP Ammo is illegal in NJ.
    I carry a bible and a gun. Your Point?

Vindiciae Contra Tyrannos (meaning: "A defence of liberty against tyrants")

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    I spent 3 months there with my job... I'll never look back. Don't even bother bringing your gun. If they discover it, loaded, unloaded or torn apart in 15 parts you're looking at jail time, and I wouldn't dare bring a hollow point round in either.

NJ is probably one of the most strict states in the nation in regards to gun laws.

Quote Originally Posted by MedPig View Post
    Yeah, NJ is a great place to be FROM, but not friendly to guns right now. Best hope they don't have some reason to find it, you'll be doing some time. I don't think they honor anyone's CCW but their own, and just about nobody in NJ can get one.
    According to Handgunlaw.US the NJ State Police say, firearms shall be carried unloaded and contained in a closed & fastened case, gunbox, or securely tied package, and locked in the trunk of automobile.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government".
    Patrick Henry

According to Handgunlaw.US the NJ State Police say, firearms shall be carried unloaded and contained in a closed & fastened case, gunbox, or securely tied package, and locked in the trunk of automobile.
    Ya... passing through per Federal interstate transport law. Not staying.

Concerning the interstate transportation of firearms, federal law provides at 18 USCS 926A:

926A. Interstate transportation of firearms

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter [18 USCS 921 et seq.] from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver's compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

Under this law, to legally transport a firearm interstate all the following need apply:

(1) You are not otherwise prohibited from possessing a firearm
    (2) It is lawful to possess AND carry the firearm in the place of origin
    (3) It is lawful to possess AND carry the firearm in the place of destination
    (Not legal in NJ, so the federal interstate transport does not apply to you)
    (4) The firearm must be unloaded
    (5) The firearm and any ammunition are not readily accessible OR directly accessible from the passenger compartment (if not possible see below)

Note: In vehicles without a trunk separate from the passenger compartment any firearms AND ammunition must be in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

Before engaging in interstate travel, the gun owner should ensure that all the above criteria apply before transporting firearms. Before travel, the gun owner should verify that it is legal to both carry and possess the firearm in the jurisdiction of origins and destination. Immediately before beginning travel the gun owner should ensure the firearms are all unloaded, unloaded all magazines, and secure them separately. Although not required by law, unless in a vehicle without a compartment separate of the passenger compartment, it is advisable to secure the guns also in a locked case or with individual locks. This may make transport also lawful under state or local law as well as federal law which will provide an extra layer of protection.
    Also in addition from NRA-ILA:

NEW JERSEY--New Jersey laws governing firearms permits, purchaser identification cars, registration and licenses do not apply to a person who is transporting the firearm through this State if that person is transporting the firearm in a manner permitted by federal law. This federal law permitting interstate transportation of a firearm applies only if all of the following requirements are met: possession of the firearm was lawful in the state in which the journey began; the possession of the firearm will be lawful in the state in which the journey will end; the person is transporting the firearm for a lawful purpose; the firearm is unloaded; the firearm is not directly accessible from the passenger compartment of the vehicle; the ammunition is not directly accessible from the passenger compartment of the vehicle; if the vehicle does not have a compartment separate from he passenger compartment, the firearm and ammunition must be in a locked container other that the vehicle's glove compartment or console. A person transporting a firearm through the State of New Jersey in the manner permitted by federal law need not give notice. Whenever an officer has probable cause to believe that a person's possession of a firearm is in violation of New Jersey law and not permitted by federal law, then the law enforcement officer may make an arrest.
    NJ Does not allow handguns without a permit to possess, and does not allow carry without a permit. Since you can't get either of these you aren't legal to have it if you are staying in the state, only passing thru via interestate transport.

Do what you want, but I'm telling you, if caught in NJ... you are in deep doo-doo.

Here in Newjerseystan, you can legally transport through the state or directly to/from a shooting range, gunsmith or FFL, but not much of anywhere else. You can also possess hollowpoints and even shoot them at a range. But God help you if you get caught with a loose H-P on the floor of your car. I might be able to retire in a year or two and move back to America, if it's still there.

My dad was an LEO in NJ for 20 years. DO NOT bring it to NJ if you are not just passing through the state. If caught YOU WILL lose your freedom for a considerable amount of time.

It is such a shame that the stinking politicians have messed that state up so badly because there are some very beautiful places there.

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fireman836 View Post
    IIRC HP Ammo is illegal in NJ.
    ...only in the commission of a felony...which would be gun locked in trunk without NJ permit....
    Last edited by hudsonvalley; June 10th, 2009 at 08:18 AM.
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

Thanks PRO2A and all others for info. I'll be there for 2 nights after coming from a visit to PA. I have VA and PA permits but I'll have to leave my G26 home. That's a shame for a few states to have "may" issue and 2 (WI - IL) that have no issue.
    Patrick Henry

Thanks PRO2A and all others for info. I'll be there for 2 nights after coming from a visit to PA. I have VA and PA permits but I'll have to leave my G26 home. That's a shame for a few states to have "may" issue and 2 (WI - IL) that have no issue.
    It depends on the state. My dad lives in MD, and I would be legal to transport my firearm to his property (he has no problem with me having my 1911 there). No permit needed to OWN a gun in MD, just carry... which as we know is not happening there.

In NJ you need a permit to own and carry. One for each... and you can't get either. So without a permit to own in NJ... you are illegal.
    Last edited by Pro2A; June 10th, 2009 at 07:58 AM.

Quick recap of a story from the past.

Man travels legally on airline with handgun in checked luggage.

Stops in Newark,NJ for transfer and second flight cancelled. Must wait till morning for new flight. This is the AIRLINES FAULT! Man gets free hotel room and his luggage delivered. Police show up to arrest him for having a handgun.

Man gets to spend 4 days in one of NJ's fine correctional facilities where he is entertained with participation in sort of mixed martial arts events and man love. Comes out in a much worse condition than he arrived.

Last I heard the lawsuit was still pending.

Welcome to New Jersey.

I am soooo glad I don't live there anymore. Grew up south of Princeton, and all my family is there. I hate visiting because I have to travel as a sheep through all the gun hating states. I wish the reciprocity laws were more like a driver license, you prove your self worthy in your state, your good to go.
    CHP holder. EDC G27. I support VCDL, so glad to have them fighting for my rights.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links