In my opinion

In my opinion

This is a discussion on In my opinion within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Here in North Carolina you have to go through a firearms course to carry concealed, even if you have had experience with Firearms, such as ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In my opinion

In my opinion

Here in North Carolina you have to go through a firearms course to carry concealed, even if you have had experience with Firearms, such as LEO, and Military Police.
    Which is about 120.00 plus the permit which is 75.00.
    Yet, you can open carry without any training.
    In my opinion that is about the stupidest thing my state has ever done.
    Why can't they have a system where you can bypass the classroom, such as go to the range and show that you are proficient with your firearm, but if you can't you must go to through the classroom course.
    Am I the only one that feel's this way or are there others?

VIP Member
    The class is about more than firearm proficiency. It also teaches when and when NOT to use a firearm. It also teaches, at least a little, about the legalities of a self-defensive shooting. These are only the first couple of things that come to mind.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner71 View Post
    The class is about more than firearm proficiency. It also teaches when and when NOT to use a firearm. It also teaches, at least a little, about the legalities of a self-defensive shooting. These are only the first couple of things that come to mind.
    Yes I understand that and that was also one of the things I meant by being proficient.
    Last edited by JD; June 15th, 2009 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Removed bold font.

It could honestly be worse, try getting a ccw in NJ, MD, DE, ect.....
    CHP holder. EDC G27. I support VCDL, so glad to have them fighting for my rights.

I want to agree with you... I'd think that if you can challenge and pass the "Safety Course" test, and then go to the range and show your proficiency with a handgun, then you should get certified. Unfortunately, as I understand, the instructor must teach a minimum number of hours (16?) to validate his training.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

It's a revenue source for the state. Also, having the additional apparatus in place to process persons with firearm experience would be expensive. One produces money for the state and the other cost the state money. Plus the logical stuff mentioned by other posters.
    "You have to answer for Santino, Carlo. You fingered Sonny for the Barzini people."

Until we got a CCW law, it was a puzzle that as an OC state anyone could carry without any license, training, qualification, or background check. That is still the case, but if you want to CC you must go through the process, and pay your money.

The antis did and still do talk about the Dodge City problems of CC, but never worried about it before.
    Kinda reminds me of the NP issue, and some folks are sure everyone will be in danger, although it escapes them that the crooks always disobeyed the law, and carried as they willed.

Regards,
    Jerry

First, in NC the state makes little to no money on the individual taking the required CHP course. The instructor gets the money. Second, the usual course is about 9 hours. Approximately 4 hours of that is on the law concerning the use of deadly force and the laws pertaining to concealed carry. Then you have about 4 hours of firearm familiarization and safety. Then usually the last hour is range time for shooting proficiency.

People that open carry without getting to know the legal requirements for the use of deadly force stand to lose more than they bargained for.

While I agree that there should be as little government intervention in legal carry, I also see why we end up legislating stupid out of the population.

Unfortunately, common since isn't common.

Personally, I'm glad the state at least tries to make sure the permit holder is exposed to the legal aspects for people that want to conceal carry.

You would not believe what some people THINK the laws are vs what they really are for self defense.

Look at my avatar,,,,,Sheep. You would think they would make you pay, get a permit for open carry since you could scare the sheep instead of concealing the firearm where no one is supposed to know you have it. Sometimes laws do not have to make sense, just $ DOLLARS.
    Never argue with idiots - they'll drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

VIP Member
    The problem you will encounter with what you suggest is how do you enforce it? A permit is not required to OC. Are you suggesting a permit be needed for open carry, so they can ask to see your permit to insure you have taken the course? The vast majority of OC states do not require you to have a permit to do so. A few are OC with permit. Never let the government fix a problem that doesn't exist.

I am almost to the point of regretting my NC CHL. I have "outed" myself to the local and state governments, and they are the ones who will be be showing up at my door for the confiscation rites that will take place when the laws suddenly change - most likely at the federal level.

It’s a legality liability issue.

The same reason LEO’s today have to re-qualify with their duty and personal carry sidearm’s and take classes annually.

You can thank lawyers and legal restraints put in place for protection from lawsuits for it.

Oh.. BTW… Florida did away with open carry jus t after it passed the CCL laws.

What in the world is "Cancel Carry"?
    Proofread before you post!!! A reminder to me.

Quote Originally Posted by bigrebnc1861 View Post
    Am I the only one that feel's this way or are there others?
    I feel that it is retarded that any State would require its citizens to get a permit for any type of firearm related activity.

We need more States like Vermont and Alaska.

What's next? Cell phone permits?
    Kevin Jensen
    Utah State Researcher,
    www.opencarry.org

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Jensen View Post
    I feel that it is retarded that any State would require its citizens to get a permit for any type of firearm related activity.

We need more States like Vermont and Alaska.

What's next? Cell phone permits?
    I agree. The Constitution doesn't say we have the right to bear arms
    if we attend 20 hours of class study and qualify on a range.
    NRA life member.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links