Not something to take lightly or laugh at.

This is a discussion on Not something to take lightly or laugh at. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; On the thread posted: CHL Man kills attempted carjacker in NE Houston, someone made the comment of having to spray themselves with pepper spray to ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Not something to take lightly or laugh at.

On the thread posted: CHL Man kills attempted carjacker in NE Houston, someone made the comment of having to spray themselves with pepper spray to shed a tear for the BG who died. Now, I do find this comment funny yet unwarrented.

Many people also posted the fact that the BG had it comming and its "okay" to laugh at someones demise. Others have said that its wrong. Yeah, the guy had it coming, I totally agree and would have done the same in that situation. However, I would not laugh or make jokes at the fact someone died. In the Marines, I took several lives overseas and all of them "had it coming." But we never laughed at it. Its a waste and a shame. I dont care if its a mass murderer or a school bus full of nuns, killing someone is just not funny. Every time I had to pull the trigger and take someone life, I felt regret and remorse. How do you think the "shooter" in that story feels now? I bet he feels pretty bad, probably has nightmares and all that.

Its just not funny. Maybe I have too many morals or just see things from a different angle, but I do know that killing someone, even in self-defense is not something to take lightly or laugh at. We all have a responsiblity carrying our guns and being the sheep dog. Lets not runin our already blemished lifesytles by haveing a sheep say "look! He thinks its funny to carry a gun and shoot people!!" That would be bad!!

How do you all feel on this subject? Am I wrong in standing up for this, or am I right in saying what, in my mind, feel right?

I pray I never have to use my firearm...I know my life will be over as I know it. I was almost carjacked once...I will never forget the fear that came with that.. I was lucky enough to see him coming before it was too late...(I was in a drive thru at resturaunt in a bad neighborhood) it was sheer terror for second....I didn't have a gun all I had was my knife and the presence of that scared him off...My father killed many people in Vietnam and I have never heard him once laugh or make a joke of it... Don't get me wrong...I'm not taking up for any BG...I work 2 jobs to make ends meet...but I would never dream of robbing someone no matter how bad things got...I believe if you decide to take that road you need to accept the consequences.... we definitelly don't need to be portrayed as gun toting vigilantes....

The problem isn't that it's funny when the BG "gets what's coming to him." The problem is that the world is full of folks who think that they have to prove something.

Killing, be it human or animal, is no joke. It's not funny. It's not humorous. It's not anything. Killing requires that the lifetaker step outside of humanity for that fraction of an instant necessary to do the job. But there are some people who treat that as a joke because they think it makes them a "bigger man" or "tougher" than they really are.

It doesn't but you'll never convince those wiseacres of that.

Thank you, sir, for your sacrifice to our country.

I feel as you do, whether they "had it coming" or not, a life has been taken.

If I ever have to take a life I am sure it will not be a good day for, and the affects of that day will live with me a long time.

Not funny.
    "Don't be afraid to see what you see.
    -Ronald Reagan-

Gallows or dark humor usually is found in two instances. First when the group or person needs to get through an event without shutting down to process an event. Second is when the person or group is unable to understand the real weight of a situation and resorts to what is perceived to be the "macho humor" response. Most instances will fall into the second group.

As others have said, thank you. As for saying what you think, you have earned that right. As to being right, I think you know that answer also, just remember, the ones that don't understand will hopefully never have to seek out those that do.

Semper Paratus

Well, I can honestly say that I am not sure if I have directly killed a person or not while overseas with a firearm. It's possible it happened, its possible I missed, I just plain don't know, part of firefights at night I guess.

But I feel that you are right Avenger, taking life isn't something to take lightly, as you are taking away all the potential that human being ever will have, and you are also changing your own life forever in a deep psychological sense. Did the BG deserve what happened to him, probably, as there is an inherit right to self defense to maintain ones own life, and the BG forced the CHL holder into that position.

But its not something to take lightly. It's something I tend to see with some of the newer Marines we have here too, the ones that look forward to combat and want a busy deployment so they can get their CARs, me, I'd take a calm 7 months where I get to bring all my friends home any day of the week.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    Avenger, thanks for this post...I felt the same as I read some of the remarks made about the death of the BG. It is sad to think someone could be so "cold-hearted" to make these comments. Taking another human life is not to be taken lightly.

I carry in self defense and am 100% certain I could use my weapon in a life threatening situation, yet at the same time I pray that I never have to use my weapon against another human being.

No matter how "deserving" an individual may be in receiving a deadly response to his actions, we have to remember that person was someone's son, maybe a husband or a father. It is unfortunate that he made the wrong choices along the way eventually costing him his life.

I agree with the sentiments here... taking a life, no matter how justifiable, is no laughing matter. I understand the seriousness of the situation and do genuinely feel bad for a BG that feels crime is the solution to his/her problem and for family and friends of a BG that is killed by someone in self-defense.

That said, given my own personality and use of humor and sarcasm, I can see myself mumbling a similar comment under certain circumstances. The world is a dangerous place and there is a disturbing divide between those that believe individuals have a right...even an obligation to protect themselves and their fellow man and those that believe that should be left to the government... military and police. The latter of those two groups literally makes me angry if I think about it for too long. Stories about the BG getting off with two lashes with a wet noodle, or worse, winning a civil suit against the victim for injuries while committing a crime infuriate me. That's why I lose sympathy for the assailant.

For me, it's less about the lack of sympathy for the BG and more about disgust for those individuals (both gov't and private citizens) that suggest my right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness should rest in the hands of a BG, and disgust for laws that support that idea by making it a tedious legal exercise for me to determine if I'm "allowed" to defend myself. For those people, a resounding NO... I will not shed a tear for protecting myself, my family and even strangers from those who clearly have no respect for others.

I hope this isn't misinterpreted as callous or cold-hearted.

Great posts. I think that the comment on taking away that perso 's potential was right on target. No telling what the future could have been for the BG. Several of us could have been a BG to some extent in the past but by the grace of God moved past it to be on the good side. Several very notorious BGs are now top citizens with a scary past just lucky enough to have lived. However, don't let your guard down to give them the chance at the expense of you or your family.
    "I wish I would have done the hard things when they were easier to do."

Quote Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
    On the thread posted: CHL Man kills attempted carjacker in NE Houston, someone made the comment of having to spray themselves with pepper spray to shed a tear for the BG who died. Now, I do find this comment funny yet unwarrented.

Many people also posted the fact that the BG had it comming and its "okay" to laugh at someones demise. Others have said that its wrong. Yeah, the guy had it coming, I totally agree and would have done the same in that situation. However, I would not laugh or make jokes at the fact someone died. In the Marines, I took several lives overseas and all of them "had it coming." But we never laughed at it. Its a waste and a shame. I dont care if its a mass murderer or a school bus full of nuns, killing someone is just not funny. Every time I had to pull the trigger and take someone life, I felt regret and remorse. How do you think the "shooter" in that story feels now? I bet he feels pretty bad, probably has nightmares and all that.

Its just not funny. Maybe I have too many morals or just see things from a different angle, but I do know that killing someone, even in self-defense is not something to take lightly or laugh at. We all have a responsiblity carrying our guns and being the sheep dog. Lets not runin our already blemished lifesytles by haveing a sheep say "look! He thinks its funny to carry a gun and shoot people!!" That would be bad!!

How do you all feel on this subject? Am I wrong in standing up for this, or am I right in saying what, in my mind, feel right?
    That you for a thought provoking and insightful post.

As previously mentioned, you have to, "step outside of humanity for a bit to kill." The reason is because the alternative is worse, and that is death. Killing, be it animal or human, requires a certain hardness that many people don't have. It's one thing to look at the steak on your plate and eat it. It's a whole nuther ball game when you raise that cow from a calf and then have her look at you as you place that bullet between her eyes.

I think Massad Ayoob said it best, "There are no winners in a gunfight, only survivors." The "locker room" talk is most often by those that haven't had to go to that dark lonely place, and seen the elephant. I have smelled the elephant, and heard him rustling in the brush near me, but I have yet to see him, and I hope I never do.

I've had people literally die in my hands, but not by my hands. I have also used a gun defensively, but with no shots fired. I was prepared to fire, and in the act of doing so when the situation changed. That's what I mean by hearing and smelling the elephant.

Firearms are a "tool of last resort", much like nuclear weapons, and I treat them as such. I am willing for our country to actively bomb another country with nuclear weapons if that is the only option left and the alternatives are worse. I am also willing to use a firearm in defense of self, or in some cases, others, because the alternative is worse.

When the "scumbag" dies he or she ceases from being a "scumbag" and becomes someone's son or daughter, husband, wife father, brother sister and friend. That is a heavy burden to bear, IMO. That is why you need to be sure that there is no other viable option and that the firearm you wield is a "tool of last resort".

I have certain "lines" for lack of better terminolgy where my response is to shoot. Once that line is crossed there is no turning back unless the person commiting the act stops. All I want to do is stop the action. How it stops ceases to be a matter of concern for me at that point.

I left the macho trash talk back in the locker room years ago.

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by Avenger View Post

Good post & I agree with you on this.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience.

I agree with you that itís a shame that some citizens feel that is funny when someone kills a BG.

But I will offer that the jesting comes from relief that the good guy won out, and they hope that if such a situation should ever happen to them they too would be one still standing.

Interesting - coming from someone with the handle of Avenger.

My wife and I discussed this once after shortly after we got married...27 years ago. I told her that although I would not be happy that someone had to die, I believe that if someone forced me into shooting them, I'd have trouble feeling remorse for doing so.

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    Good post and I agree 100%. I hope never to have to use any of my self defense training. EVER. It is no laughing matter to take a life, even in defense.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links