Running, jogging, biking with CHL, what to carry?

This is a discussion on Running, jogging, biking with CHL, what to carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Quick question for anyone who's run into this situation, what do you carry when running or jogging wearing typical runners clothing? I wear an undershirt ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Running, jogging, biking with CHL, what to carry?

Quick question for anyone who's run into this situation, what do you carry when running or jogging wearing typical runners clothing? I wear an undershirt and usually a jersey or under armor type light overshirt with runners shorts. Something like a small .380 auto or J-Frame .38 still seems like it would bounce around or print badly and IWB isn't a good option since I don't wear a belt while running.

I'm considering just going with my CRK&T My Tighe folder instead, since I can't think of another option. Some situations I guess you just have to either avoid (don't run) or deal with being armed with less than a handgun. Any ideas?
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down & lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, & may posterity forget you were countrymen.

I don't have any advice other than I've heard some carrying in a Smart Carry when excercising. Good luck!
    Protection is a responsibility not just a right.

fanny pack, you might look a little "weird" but its effective. I dont run on the open road (treadmil, have my gun in my bag) but I do rollerblade, I still wear IWB but I am not moving around as much. I like your question, its a good head scratcher. I am curious as to what other post.

I don't run but if I did I'd wear a smart carry or fanny pack. Neither would look odd in running tights. The smart carry might make you sweat more though.

I do bicycle and I carry while I do it. I have a frame bag, a camel-bak backpack, and a fanny pack and change off between them as I feel like it. For most athletic workouts, a fanny pack is a good option. Plus you can carry just about anything in one.

If I were to go running I would probably choose a fanny pack, but I dont run....my knees are messed up enough.

I do ride a bike and I've tried an IWB holster but didn't like sweating all over my gun and holster. I usually just strap on my Thunder 9mm and a belt and OC, its by far the most comfortable.

I carry a 642 in smartcarry daily. I don't know if you'd find it all that comfortable jogging any real distance. At least not over your private parts. It's not bad hiking though. Wearing an LCP, etc on the hip with a small smartcarry would probably work OK. There is little comparison to a pistol vs. a knife. Even if you are an expert trained in personal combat with your folder you are still at a disadvantage from someone who simply wishes to pull the trigger on you.
    For the stength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack. - R. Kipling

Romans 1:22 Claiming to be wise, they became fools [professing to be smart, they made simpletons of themselves].

I run at the gym, I keep my gym bag near me that has my water, gatorade, towel, exercise sheet, Glock....I used to run on the street or on the trail before...not a good idea in my neighborhood.
    Vince K
    Aerospace Designer, Freemason, NRA member

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    I don't run- severe spinal arthritis and spinal stenosis in the lower back, not to mention that I'm fat and very out of shape. But, I've seen something that would work for you. It's a carry pack that straps on your chest. I can't remember where I saw it (some help I am, huh?). But it exists, and can be found if you look hard enough.

I like the Smart Carry. Does not move. This is also available... Wilderness Tactical Products, LLC
    Hope this helps.
    Take care,
    VTXDM40...........Molon Labe

Openroad I would suggest go to Dillon Precision: Reloaders, Reloading Equipment, Bullet Reloading, Bullet Reloaders and check out the concealment products they offer. They have elastic waist bands that are higher than the smart carry, so you will not have the problems carrying low. And still be able to carry concealed, as far as if it is comfortable that is a crap shoot. Hope I helped?

MK9 in a Camelbak Goblin....
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

I run a lot (about 2500 miles a year) and carry in a fanny pack. I rigged a fanny pack to hold a pancake type holster inside, since I wanted a specific running pack. It's not ideal (access takes longer than a normal carry situation), but it works best for my situation.

I carry a .45 or a .44 magnum in an owb with a good holster and belt when I walk the dogs. Don't down play the walk. I am at 8600 ft in the mountains and I keep up with the dogs. I work up a good sweat after 3 miles.
    I don't have to worry about bad guys too much but we have resident bears and cougars. Also the coyotes are not afraid of humans.
    Don't wear shorts either.
    Semper Fi

I carry my .38 J-frame revolver with a smartcarry holster. As long as you keep it high and tight you shouldn't experience any discomfort from bouncing where you don't want it bouncing. I usually have about a half inch of the handle outside of my pants with my shirt covering it (just to give you an idea of how high you may need it).

I don't run anymore, but when I did I used a fanny pack,.. Only problem I had with it was I couldn't get it tight enough to stay up, Maybe they make better ones that have a better retention????

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links