Moms who carry

This is a discussion on Moms who carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; How do you carry your child and all the crap you have to carry with them (mine is only 4 months) and a gun... Is ...

Thread: Moms who carry

Moms who carry

How do you carry your child and all the crap you have to carry with them (mine is only 4 months) and a gun... Is it harder to conceal? What about when you were prego?
    "When a strong man, fully armed, guards his house, his possessions are safe."
    - Luke 11:21

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

2. Remove Ads

Well I'm not a mom, but when my kids was little I used to carry in a shoulder holster,.. Lived in the cold country, so conceal was easy then.. Cannot help on the prego thing,. But I was heavier then and it didn't seem to make much difference.. LOL..

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...r-options.html

Here is a thread started by limatunes who is herself a good resource for ladies and guns as well as guns in general.
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    My son is 10. The only problem I have had with him so far (and at the moment, I can only OC because CC Permit is taking forever) is that when he is distracted and then bumps into me, he usually whacks himself on the butt of my holstered gun. I carry strong side about 2 o'clock. At the very least, he's respecting my personal space alot more lately :)

If I had an infant, I would just carry the baby on my hip, on my non-gun-carry side, I guess, or use a stroller. Or you could carry your baby in one of those snuglis in the front, and use a small-of-the-back holster?

As far as pregnant, that was over a decade ago, and I was very ill most of the time. didn't carry back then BUT -- when I was able to go out in a wheelchair, I guess I would have carried in a purse at that point.
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    At the very least, he's respecting my personal space alot more lately :)
    there is a silver lining to everything
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

Mrs Superhouse says:

No carry in a purse, bag, diaper bag or anything off-body. On the belt only. Too easy to lay it down and forget it or loose control of it with all the other stuff being carried around.

As for carry while pregnant, we were one of those "didn't know she was pregnant until she went into labor" stories. She used to carry in a Bagmaster belt pouch, looks kind of like a camera case. Hers is purple, but they discontinued that color. Doesn't use it much anymore, uses a FIST IWB holster instead.

BAGMASTER - Quality Bags, Cases and Holsters

FIST holsters

Are you more worried about carrying, or more worried about having a free hand to grab your gun if you need it?

I don't think there's any really good answer. The amount of stuff any mom, working outside the home or not, has to carry is phenomenal. And usually all at the same time, with one or more active, noisy kids to handle, too. Your hands are NEVER empty.

I purse carry, because I don't wear pants with belts (too fluffy), but I no longer have little kids at home. So I don't worry as much.

Try lots of different methods, and see what helps. Use a rolling backpack or regular one? A rolling one is easy to drop if you need a free hand for your gun. Use a rolling cart to get your groceries inside? That's what I use. Do you have an umbrella stroller? If your baby isn't quite old enough to sit in one, s/he will be shortly.

I've heard some people here say "always keep a hand free, just in case." That is nearly impossible for moms. Just do the best you can -- whatever works.
    "I pledge allegiance to the war banner of the united states of Totalitaria. And to the Republic, which no longer stands, several bankers, who are now god, indivisible, with Bernanke bucks and credit for all."

Please don't forget for the expecting and new moms, don't handle the ammo and wash hands good when handling the firearm. The lead and other contaminants are not worth the risk. Target shooting and practice should be avoided while pregnant if at all possible.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    Please don't forget for the expecting and new moms, don't handle the ammo and wash hands good when handling the firearm. The lead and other contaminants are not worth the risk. Target shooting and practice should be avoided while pregnant if at all possible.
    AMEN!!!!...

My wife has a Ruger SP-101 she has carried in a small fanny pack for years.....One time she was questioned by an LEO about the contents of "the pack", and she opened it to show him baby wipes, medicine, antiseptic, band aids and tampons.

Of course, behind the velcro enclosure, lay the SP-101 and a speedloader.....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    Concerning the lead exposure: My wife's doctor told her that an outside range, with me doing all the handling of the rounds, etc. was okay. Definitely no inside range time, because the lead and other contaminants can be in the air.

Carrying: I'm a Dad, not a Mom, but sometimes my wife trusts me with the baby enough to let me go out by myself. I don't carry any different, IWB right on the strong-side hip. Her diaper bag is a backpack, so that helps. When I carry her, I have the backpack on (correctly, i.e. both straps) and carry her on my left (weak) side, which leaves my right hand free for things like unlocking the car door, etc. If I go to the store, I put her in the cart and put the backpack/diaper bag in the cart too. Same thing for the stroller. It's not been to much of a hassle, but I agree there is a lot of stuff you have to carry. The smaller they are, the more stuff you have to transport everywhere.

My wife doesn't carry a gun yet, but she suggests looking into a Moby, Rebozo or other non-sling wrap if you want to carry on the waist band. She would probably wear an inside shirt like a tank top and an outside blouse unbuttoned with it. There are alot of videos on YouTube on the many different ways to tie baby wraps so you can easily find a way they can work with your chosen holster. Pouches and slings don't have as much versatility.

Links