Federal Facilities

Federal Facilities

This is a discussion on Federal Facilities within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, we all know that guns are a big no no at Fed facilities. Probably the grand daddy of all no nos. I wonder if ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Federal Facilities

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar

Federal Facilities

Well, we all know that guns are a big no no at Fed facilities. Probably the grand daddy of all no nos.

I wonder if there would be a way to get the guards at the entry to set up a weapons check for CCWers. A place we could store our weapons when we get to work. That would rock.

I don't think they'd start it unless alot of people wanted it. Another possibility....I ask, they say no, then search my stinkin' car everytime I get there because they know I carry guns. The latter seems more likely.

Do you think it would even be worth asking? Maybe if I went through someone other than security with the request?
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

Don't hold your breath!

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Like a snowball in hell.------

i agree wouldnt hold my breath

Unless you want to resemble a SMURF... Dont hold your breath .....

I think they are more likely to tell you that you can never carry a firearm if you work in a government office the way things are going
    Stupidity cannot be cured with money, or through education, or by legislation. Stupidity is not a sin, the victim can't help being stupid. But stupidity is the only universal capital crime; the sentence is death, there is no appeal and execution is carried out automatically and without pity.

Assistant Administrator
    jar - I'd love to share your optimism but like the others said - no breath holding!!

Probably best to zip the lip
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    Talk to the provost office for the base. If they have an armory maybe they will make an accomodation. They typically store firearms for personnel stationed on bases. Now if the base has no quarters for military personnel then you will likely be out of luck. Prime example for me was the St. Andrews Annex. It's an old ammo dump site, so no barracks and no provision for firearms storage. All the troops are billeted elsewhere.

I wouldn't bother the gate guys with it though. Definitely talk to the head office on this one. All they can say is no. Which is the default response of course.

-Scott-

It will not happen.

Frank

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott
    Talk to the provost office for the base. If they have an armory maybe they will make an accomodation. They typically store firearms for personnel stationed on bases. Now if the base has no quarters for military personnel then you will likely be out of luck. Prime example for me was the St. Andrews Annex. It's an old ammo dump site, so no barracks and no provision for firearms storage. All the troops are billeted elsewhere.

I wouldn't bother the gate guys with it though. Definitely talk to the head office on this one. All they can say is no. Which is the default response of course.

-Scott-
    Military bases have procedures for this. I am familiar with them. However, I am not on a Military base. I'm now working in the civilian sectory for the feds. These facilities are tighter than a base drum. I really don't think it is possible either, but I thought I'd put the bug out there, just in case someone had any info.
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

I don't know about employees working there full time but a few years ago (like maybe 15-20) I had a couple jobs that required me to go onto military bases. This was in Indiana with a CCW law dating back to 1934 and a population with, I think, the highest percentage of CCW holders in the country. First I was a delivery driver and made deliveries to a SAC base, the guard shack at the receiving gate had lockers for securing weapons. Later when I serviced phone systems I had to make some service calls to a navy base and they also had lockers for securing weapons at the guard shacks.

I don’t think it is unreasonable (but again try explaining “reason” to a fed these days) for federal property in CCW states to provide secure storage if they are not going to allow law-abiding, screened and licensed individuals to carry in the facility.

VIP Member
    Having worked in a federal building in NYC, the answer there (if you were one of the few that had a NYC CCW permit) would be no.....if you were to have approached one of the contract security guards and/or Federal Protective Service personnel, you would have had your weapon and CCW permit confiscated and you would have (likely) been cuffed and perhaps arrested by FPS or held for NYPD.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

VIP Member
    Other federal facilities. Uh no.

Nearby parking outside the gate? A co-worker who can pick you up from the parking?

You'd still wind up leaving your gun in your car though.

-Scott-

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    While Federal Office Buildings generally do not have lockbox arrangements (mostly due to liability, which is why you will never get them to change it), most Federal Courthouses do. They have to have them because even law enforcement are not allowed to carry in MOST (I say again, "MOST") Federal Courthouses. Is there a Federal Courthouse close to your building? Perhaps you could utilize it? Or, invest it a good "trunk safe" that is bolted in your trunk.
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    Hey, if there is enough demand, it sounds like a business opportunity right outside federal facilities.

As a soldier, commander, CCW holder, and hunter, I have been thoroughly educated on pretty much every iteration of getting a weapon on a military installation legally. Definately a PITA, but worth it for me because there is some great hunting available on post.

Several have mentioned the possibility of storing weapons on post. There is a provision for doing so, but only for service members living in the barracks or in post housing. They can store their POWs (Privately Owned Weapons) in their unit armsroom, and just sign them out from the armorer for hunting and target shooting. This requires a memorandum signed by the company-level commander who is the "landlord" for that armsroom, and only for personnel in his command. Bottom line, civilians, contractors, and off-post personnel don't have storage facilities available on post for their weapons.

Another caveat to this whole deal is that you have to register every weapon you bring on post in advance, by S/N, with the provost marshalls office. The form also has to be signed by your unit commander - I used to do this all the time for my soldiers. Not sure how it works for civilians. Once registered, carry the card with you if you have the weapons on board, and again, only for range shooting and hunting - no CCW or just to have it in the truck. You must declare them when you enter the gate, which most times will end up getting your entire vehicle searched, S/Ns verified, and provost marshall's office notified.

I would love the opportunity to check my CCW at the gate, but IMO it ain't gonna happen. Maybe AutoFan is onto something...
    "Speed is fine, but accuracy is final." - Bill Jordan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links