I hate this -- Arena, not sure what to do

This is a discussion on I hate this -- Arena, not sure what to do within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So, Holly and I love hitting up NBA games 2 hours north of where we live. We drive to a certain MAX station (essentially a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

So, Holly and I love hitting up NBA games 2 hours north of where we live. We drive to a certain MAX station (essentially a tram that takes you there), and there are dark parking lots, and narrow gateways before and after boarding. Being an NBA game, this is all in a big city. There is no place we'd rather carry obviously. I'm sure this has been talked about before, but the arena has a no guns policy, which I honestly have no trouble breaking, but the people at the door have metal detector wands that they seem to use at total random. I've never once been checked in probably the 10 times I've gone since carrying, and I was only carrying 3 or 4 of those times -- although never checked, I'm completely paranoid and not sure if my permit would keep my out of trouble of checked. I mean, if the wand went off, I suppose I have the right to refuse a search and just leave? I guess I have it in my mind that they'll tell me to empty my pockets (simple pocket carry) and not allow me to leave because they may assume I'm up to something. PLUS, even if I were allowed to leave which is obviously most likely what WOULD happen, I'd have no where to go! Except take the 45 minute tram ride back to our car only to drive two hours back home and be out the money for our tickets, tram ride, and gas money (which is plenty expensive). Ugh!

I don't need to carry in the arena whatsoever, but the feeling of uneasiness during the trip there and back is enough for me to break the rules.

I'm not sure if I should just not carry at all during this time or what -- I wish there was some sort of "check-in" where I could drop off the ruger and pick it up on the way out (yeah right). I don't even think spray is allowed inside. All these games start at 7, and get over around 9:30. The MAX ride is long, by the time we get back to our car, it's very late. OPTIONS? I know, don't go if I'm that worried, but I'd sure love a solution to this. Perhaps there is a simple solution that is evading me.

P.S: Every purse is checked upon entry inside and out.
    It is utterly illogical to believe that passing laws to reduce gun violence will be successful when those who are commiting the gun violence do not obey the law.

I dont know man. Thats a tough one. Maybe carry a small knife that you can act like you forgot about having if busted? I know its not much but its better than nothing.

Portland can be a bad bad place at night, especially on and at MAX stops. maybe a smart carry or belly band?
    ‘‘To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.’’

— George Mason

Distinguished Member Array CDW4ME's Avatar
    Another vote for Smart Carry / Thunderwear. If your shirt is tucked in and no buldge in pockets, less likely to be checked.

Personally I don't want to see a game bad enough to disarm and walk through dark alleys, parking lots ect... late at night to boot.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    In addition to the Smart Carry/ Thunderwear, wear a belt with a large metal buckle thats visible. You could also throw in a large set of keys and plenty of change. Anything that could be a distraction.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

How thorough is the wand search? Could an ankle holster or SOB IWB get through?
    ‎An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine. I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force, nor is it wise for such a person to expect it. -- Isaiah Amberay

Poor security

I was struck at the lack of security at the gate. The arena where I attend NHL hockey and college basketball games has walk thru metal detectors, and x-ray machines.

Unless there's a check-in service, inside or outside of the arena, I don't see any way around it. Seems to be an opportunity for some one enterprising to start a service, maybe in an armored car parked outside the arena. You may want to check with the team management to see if they would sponsor something like that.

First time posting, and I love the forum. Thanks, guys, and you ladies, too!

Sig P6
    Sig 223 w/tritium night sights (wife's purse carry and my night stand piece)
    Kel-tec P3AT (my pocket carry)

Here in Texas you can loose your license if you carry at any sporting event, even if it doesn't charge admission, including your kids softball game, soccer match, or any other sport game is considered off limits.

"Don't take your gun to town."
    Jerry

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    What is the status of no-gun signs in Oregon? In a lot of states, the only charge is trespassing if you refuse to leave after being asked to do so. On the other hand, there are states where the signs themselves carry the force of law and if you pass one while carrying, you have just committed a crime---quite possibly a felony---and we are obviously not going to consider that approach.

The problem is that even if Oregon uses the trespass implementation, that doesn't mean you might not get detained at the arena, with whatever inconveniences go along with that.

So, if you are comfortable with leaving if asked (and that is the worst you face), then what you are trying to do is figure out how not to get asked to leave. I think you have some good ideas here, like ankle or Smart Carry.

Or just get one of those evil all plastic guns and plastic bullets that the metal detectors can't find!!!
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

I'm not a big-morass-of-people type of person, so for me the choice is simple. I get a better view on the tube anyway, without the crowd and noise.

In Oregon, posted signs at venues have no real force of law. So, you takes your chances. Seems to me that if there's wanding going on, you've got a choice: put it where it won't be wanded/found; carry normally and hope you don't get wanded; or, don't carry. Pick one. The risk of each are simple and clear.

Quote Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
    "Don't take your gun to town."
    Jerry
    But "town" is where the danger is. The bureaucrats know it. The legislators know it. We all know it.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by gumaro View Post
    Here in Texas you can loose your license if you carry at any sporting event, even if it doesn't charge admission, including your kids softball game, soccer match, or any other sport game is considered off limits.
    Not completely correct. It is only illegal for high school, college or professional sports. You are OK for your son/daughter little league games.

PC 46.035. UNLAWFUL CARRYING OF HANDGUN BY LICENSE
    HOLDER. (a) A license holder commits an offense if the license
    holder carries a handgun on or about the license holders person
    under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code,
    and intentionally fails to conceal the handgun.
    (b) A license holder commits an offense if the license holder intentionally,
    knowingly, or recklessly carries a handgun under the authority
    of Subchapter H. Chapter 411, Government Code, regardless of
    whether the handgun is concealed, on or about the license holder's
    person:
    (2) on the premises where a high school, collegiate, or professional sporting event or interscholastic event is taking place, unless the license holder is a participant in the event and a handgun is used in the event

Use a belly band and carry behind a HUGE belt buckle?
    How thorough is the 'wand'? Ankle carry?

You could also have a sidearm stashed in a CoM safe in your car, but that doesn't help much on your way TO the car.

Usually, having a weapon at a professional sporting event is illegal in many states. You may not be given the opportunity to just leave if discovered...tough spot.

Bottom line? I wouldn't pay those (poor excuses for role model athletes) guys the the exorbitant prices to watch something with a better view on my 53" HDTV anyway, but that's just me.
    I understand your desire to BE were the action and vibes 'flow'.

Good luck...hope you don't come across a BG who preys upon stadium folk.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    You need to find out what the Oregon and Portland laws say.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by CDW4ME View Post
    Personally I don't want to see a game bad enough to disarm and walk through dark alleys, parking lots ect... late at night to boot.

I agree with this totally.. If ya cannot carry, stay home and watch it on TV with the comforts of your house..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links