Traveling in The People Republic of California

This is a discussion on Traveling in The People Republic of California within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; We are driving down to Orange County. I know we can not carry concealed and most likely will not open carry but will have a ...

Thread: Traveling in The People Republic of California

Traveling in The People Republic of California

We are driving down to Orange County. I know we can not carry concealed and most likely will not open carry but will have a fire arm in the car and where ever we stay. The question is is it legal to have a loaded firearm in the car. If not what are the specific criteria we must follow. Mag out of gun. Or must the mags be unloaded? Or gun in glove box mags in trunk?. Do all mags have to be under ten rounds capacity or can we only have ten rounds in a mag? Or must the high cap mags be unloaded?
    What about knives? Legal to carry on person? What about camping gear. Are larger knives a BK2 BK7 or Kershaw Outcast Ok in the car? The trunk? Strapped to a pack? Thank you for your help
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by swatspyder View Post
    thanks I will look at that when I get home. I'm on the road using the hotel puter seems I can not D/L anything onto their machine.

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Distinguished Member
    According to California, a handgun is concealable, and every handgun is "concealed" and, so, in violation of the law, with exceptions noted. A good resource for California carry says that a handgun
    "Must be transported unloaded in a locked case or vehicle trunk" (not acceptable are glove box, console, etc.). Transport includes car, bike, or walking from the car to the hotel room. And, by any means, the firearm must be "locked", i.e., in "a secure container which is fully enclosed and locked by a padlock, key lock, combination lock, or similar locking device."

"A common misconception is the belief that ammunition cannot be stored in the same case as a firearm, or that it must be locked up separately somehow. This is not true. There is no code to support this myth."

"Unloaded" includes meaning that a cartridge is not chambered ("when there is an unexpended cartridge or shell in, or attached in any manner to, the firearm, including, but not limited to, in the firing chamber, magazine, or clip thereof attached to the firearm.")

"Nothing in this section shall prevent any person from having a loaded weapon, if it is otherwise lawful, at his or her
    place of residence, including any temporary residence or campsite.... But PC 374c makes shooting from any public road illegal, which triggers 12031(f). Additionally most counties have ordinances prohibiting shooting near roads, residences, etc. This effectively makes carrying loaded illegal in all but the most remote areas of unincorporated territory."

California defines a "large-capacity magazine" as one capable of holding more than ten rounds and makes illegal to transport, etc., such a magazine.

So, legal transport means that the mag of 10 or less rounds can be loaded and in the same locked case as the firearm but, in the least, released from the mag well.

This is the best resource that I find for California knives law. And I don't find any restrictions specifically of and for Orange County.

I am not a lawyer but an ordinary citizen and don't otherwise give legal advice.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Quote Originally Posted by Pistology View Post
    According to California, a handgun is concealable, and every handgun is "concealed" and, so, in violation of the law, with exceptions noted. A good resource for California carry says that a handgun
    "Must be transported unloaded in a locked case or vehicle trunk" (not acceptable are glove box, console, etc.). Transport includes car, bike, or walking from the car to the hotel room. And, by any means, the firearm must be "locked", i.e., in "a secure container which is fully enclosed and locked by a padlock, key lock, combination lock, or similar locking device."

"A common misconception is the belief that ammunition cannot be stored in the same case as a firearm, or that it must be locked up separately somehow. This is not true. There is no code to support this myth."

"Unloaded" includes meaning that a cartridge is not chambered ("when there is an unexpended cartridge or shell in, or attached in any manner to, the firearm, including, but not limited to, in the firing chamber, magazine, or clip thereof attached to the firearm.")

"Nothing in this section shall prevent any person from having a loaded weapon, if it is otherwise lawful, at his or her
    place of residence, including any temporary residence or campsite.... But PC 374c makes shooting from any public road illegal, which triggers 12031(f). Additionally most counties have ordinances prohibiting shooting near roads, residences, etc. This effectively makes carrying loaded illegal in all but the most remote areas of unincorporated territory."

California defines a "large-capacity magazine" as one capable of holding more than ten rounds and makes illegal to transport, etc., such a magazine.

So, legal transport means that the mag of 10 or less rounds can be loaded and in the same locked case as the firearm but, in the least, released from the mag well.

This is the best resource that I find for California knives law. And I don't find any restrictions specifically of and for Orange County.

I am not a lawyer but an ordinary citizen and don't otherwise give legal advice.
    +1 I think you pretty much covered it.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

In CA be careful if the gun is in a locked container with mags and ammo if any of those happen to be touching the other it is a violation. I might be wrong but This has been the the advice of several LEO to ensure compliance.

The biggest problem is most LEO use their own interpretation of the laws. I have asked several LEO about this and get different answers.

I do not have my permit yet, so I carry the gun in a Gunvault the ammo and mags in a range bag in separate compartments none of these items within reach of me. I have a pick-up and hatchback style vehicles.

I would have given you a whole $.02 but the state government has confiscated most it and taken a loan on my heirs $.02 also.

CrewDog
    Last edited by crewdog; June 13th, 2009 at 06:44 PM. Reason: I might be wrong

IMO, just avoid CA. But that is just what I think...

I have been down there, and it's nice to visit, but the big cities are annoying.

Back Home in America

Quote Originally Posted by swatspyder View Post
    IMO, just avoid CA. But that is just what I think...

I have been down there, and it's nice to visit, but the big cities are annoying.
    That would be a ideal, IMO all cities are annoying at best but in this case avoiding LA would have entailed my breaking my word. Something I have managed not to do in over half a century. So not something I am going to start doing especially with my daughter. She graduated with her 3.8 GPA. So she got her week in Disneyland & Knots Berry Farm with her friend as promised. Thankfully she bailed on Universal studios.
    We did make it back in one piece, with only one incident with a vato that needed a lesson in manners. (another thread) Anyway we left the high caps at home, carried the 380 in a portable gun-safe. The Becker BK7 & BK9 was strapped to our hiking packs. BTW Becker makes an awesome pack. The Becker large Patrol Pack available from Eagle Industries is massive. With infinitely adjustable shoulder straps waist band and chest strap it is well designed to effortlessly carry over 50 lbs. Believe me with a daughter and wife to pack for I know. It is Hydration Compatible with four water proof interior pockets, huge side pockets, slots for a gun or fishing gear on each side. MOLLE attachment points top center and bottom smaller pockets up top and a semi secret pocket inside the lid. Virtually bulletproof construction AND it straps onto my bike. It will be the last pack I will ever need
    Back on topic. I carried my Kershaw Outlaw most every where except Mickey land. While in Disneyland, we left the guns back in the hotel in a gun safe cable chained to the toilet. I carried my cane, used my Boker Subcom as a money clip, a small Kershaw Chive on my key chain and a Becker Necker stashed on me. Overall I never felt unarmed, even when confronted with the vato bangers or wannabes. Thanks for all the input and help especially Pistology and swatspyder. The PDF file is downloaded and the sight bookmarked for future reference

Links