More CCW Victories in Tennessee!

This is a discussion on More CCW Victories in Tennessee! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Wow, things are really happening quickly here. Yesterday, our Gov signed a bill allowing carry in State parks, county and local parks. Also signed a ...

Thread: More CCW Victories in Tennessee!

More CCW Victories in Tennessee!

Wow, things are really happening quickly here.
    Yesterday, our Gov signed a bill allowing carry in State parks, county and local parks.
    Also signed a bill allowing carry of loaded long guns [no round in chamber] in your vehicle.
    Also allowed into law [but did not sign] the "Tennesse Firarms Freedom Act".

Since we changed our House Speaker, we have made big-time progress.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Yup. There is still resistance on a few local fronts, but we certainly have made great progress. Surprising the Gov signed the two newest bills after attempting to block restaurant carry. Pretty cool.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Go TN!

Keep up the great work with the politicians...apply lots of pressure!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    I've always thought of myself as bestowing bad luck (even though I don't believe in luck.) Right when I get out of there, good things happen. Even more evidence.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Distinguished Member
    This definitely brings the state into line with the recent vote in congress regarding carry in NPS and WMA lands. Author of the congressional amendment, Senator Tom Coburn says, "This amendment has two important purposes. First, this amendment is about protecting every American’s Second Amendment rights. Second, this amendment is about protecting the right of every state to pass laws that apply to their entire state, including public lands." The Coburn Amendment is set to become the law of the land in February, 2010 (with the Credit Card bill on which it rode into law), though "Senator Coburn intends to introduce the Amendment in other bills that will take effect before the current 2010 date as the intent was for the measure to take effect immediately."
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Funny he would sign the park bill but veto the restaurant one..

I thought they asked for the parks bill to be recalled? I still don't like that local can make policy on that. I think it should be the same state wide...

He didn't want to be a 3 time loser.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Quote Originally Posted by Gibber View Post
    .... our Gov signed a bill allowing carry in State parks, county and local parks.
    True........but..........the bill also allows each local (county, city, etc.) to ban carry in their parks. The majority already had signs up, and the majority will leave those signs in place. So in essence, for most areas of the state, it is moot. In fact, some local TN goverments are already attempting to "use" the bans allowed in the park bill to ban restaurant carry in the ones that serve alcohol. I don't know how far they will get - but without someone suing them, they will succeed.

Go t

VIP Member

Exclamation

Please note the different effective dates for different types of parks (and please verify before visiting):

State parks--effective immediately.

Local parks--effective 1 September 2009, after localities have had the opportunity to opt out if they choose to do so.

National Parks--effective February 2010, per national legislation.

Wildlife Management Areas were removed from this bill and placed into a separate bill, which has not yet been finalized.
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

Links