Moving to a "wild" city. Maybe you could give me a few tips/tactics?

This is a discussion on Moving to a "wild" city. Maybe you could give me a few tips/tactics? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys I'm moving to Tempe AZ soon if my credit check for the apartment and a whole bunch of other stuff clears (which it ...

Hey guys

I'm moving to Tempe AZ soon if my credit check for the apartment and a whole bunch of other stuff clears (which it will). I've been told by a police officer from that area that Tempe can be pretty wild at times. Right now I live in a town of 542 people so if any of you have come good CCW/situational awareness tactics you could throw at me, I'd appreciate it.

I was reading another thread and HappyGunner said that when he's loading groceries into his truck , he has hif wife atand guard. thats a great tactic IMHO. I'll be doing the same wiht my girlfriend (although I don't think anyone would mess with us when I have a gothic vampire with me )

Anywho, what are some other things I should know?
    "There are more things on this planet with fangs, claws, poisons, and scales, than there are things that are warm, fuzzy, and full of love. It's just a simple fact." - James Keating

Assistant Administrator
    To be honest Justin - I don't think it matters where you are or will be - the same ''rules'' apply really.

So - con' yellow should still embrace all the sensory aspects of alertness, and, maintain distance from possible problem situations. Guess too we can include the old friend ''common sense'' - it has much useful value

If girlfriend is with you then for sure some ''team'' approach is excellent - that is always improving odds I think. Oh and, probably goes without saying - know the AZ laws re carry, restrictions thereof, etc.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Thanks Chris :)

I'm always aware of my surroundings and stuff like that :) I just never thought of the "having the gf stand guard" thing, and was wondering if anyone else had any cool things like that :)
    "There are more things on this planet with fangs, claws, poisons, and scales, than there are things that are warm, fuzzy, and full of love. It's just a simple fact." - James Keating

Lead Moderator
    Be aware of ruses to get you isolated, distracted, cornered. fender benders, fake calls for assistance ,ect. Just use your head, be wary of people and cond. yellow.
    the majority of people out there are good, just a few bad apples. Enjoy your new job.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    AZ doesn't honor other states' permits for their own residents. In other words, once you become a "resident", your PA CWL isn't good there. It's still good in other states, but not in AZ. Kinda silly, but I guess they want their money.
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

DC Founder
    Tempe is wild, alright, from a partying sense. It is one of the more liberal cities surrounding Phoenix, probably less illegal aliens, more college students and democrats than other areas of town, but alot happens in Tempe. Relatively high crime all over the Phoenix (and surrounding area) so just stay on your toes and you will be fine. If you have never experienced a truly hot dry experience, get ready for summer. It will be an eye opener for you. Winters are great! Not that summer isn't, particularly if you have some water toys.....

Get signed up for an AZ CCW permit when you hit town, it opens up alot of states for you. We LOVE our guns here
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

I thought Tempe was a college town....If I were you I'd subscribe to the local newspapers, paper and on line. The high crime areas show up fast.

VIP Member
    ....I love Goth girls!
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

I agree with the idea to sign-up for the Arizona Republic. When I was planning on relocating there, my ex-GF and I subscribed. Great area, great paper, well as good as local newspapers get.
    You can get the online version at www.arizonarepublic.com
    Dave

“The highest obligation and privilege of citizenship is that of bearing arms”. General George Patton—US Army

Vis et Veneratio

"So this is how democracy dies: to thunderous applause." Actress Natalie Portman as Padme in Star Wars Revenge of the Sith

srfl, here ya go, lol

Thanks guys. I'll defenitley get that online paper once I get there.

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by dpesec
    I agree with the idea to sign-up for the Arizona Republic. When I was planning on relocating there, my ex-GF and I subscribed. Great area, great paper, well as good as local newspapers get.
    Here, we call it (due to it's liberal position on everything) the Arizona Repugnant, but it is the biggest paper around for ads and such. They helped beat last year's law that would have allowed us to carry, with a CCW, into restaurants that serve beer, wine and liquor as long as we didn't consume.

When you get moved, check out The Tribune.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

[QUOTE=Bumper}When you get moved, check out The Tribune. [/QUOTE]

I have to agree with the lib slant, but it was all I could get on-line.

I never heard of teh Tribune. Is there an online edition?
    Dave

“The highest obligation and privilege of citizenship is that of bearing arms”. General George Patton—US Army

Vis et Veneratio

"So this is how democracy dies: to thunderous applause." Actress Natalie Portman as Padme in Star Wars Revenge of the Sith

My fiance lives in Tempe (right on Mill Ave), and I've been known to stay at her place quite often. Like Bumper said, it is a college town, definately the more liberal part of Phoenix. Be aware a large part of town is places that serve alcohol or campus property. (Both are no-no's here.)

Give me a PM if you want any info/ have any other questions/ want to a friendly face when you get here.

P.S.- If you're from PA bring a supply of Yuengling, they don't have it here.
    TSgt. Lickey

It takes a college degree to break'em;
    and a high school education to fix'em!

Links