CPL slips out of back pocket...

This is a discussion on CPL slips out of back pocket... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was at a mall in the southern part of King County. I didn't see any "no firearms" sign at the door so I walked ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

I was at a mall in the southern part of King County. I didn't see any "no firearms" sign at the door so I walked right in, concealed carrying, of course.

I heard from someone on this forum, that it is wise to laminate your CPL, so I did and it was in my back pocket.

I finish eating at the food court and try and look for a leather store since I wanted a jacket. As I walk past the stores, I notice a wheelchair bound lady coming towards me "Young man, young man..." I stopped and asked her if she needed help.

She asked me if I was missing something out of my back pocket. I was naturally alarmed that my CPL mysteriously slipped out of my back pocket by some insane law of physics. Then she asked me if it was a concealed weapons permit. I nodded in the affirmative. I thought she found it and was going to hand it to me. She then told me that she gave it instead to a security guard and had asked him to call the police. As soon as she said that, she hurried away on her motorized wheel chair.

I was going, "what????" So I hurry out of the mall since I don't have a CPL on me at that point, lock my handgun inside my car safe, take a copy of my CPL from my glove box, and walk into the security office.

The guard there asked me if I was there for the CPL and I said yes. He saw my ID and handed the CPL to me without a single question.

I am kicking myself for laminating the CPL. As soon as I got into my car, I ripped the plastic out and folded it into my wallet. The CPL from my police department is oversized and cannot fit in any wallet.

(((These incidents have to stop...too much excitement! *sigh*)))
    Vince K
    Aerospace Designer, Freemason, NRA member

VIP Member
    Well glad You got it back. At least the Lady was nice to let You know and where it was.

I am glad she let me know, but I didn't understand why she said that she asked him to call the police?
    Vince K

VIP Member

Because

Quote Originally Posted by wolfshead View Post
    I am glad she let me know, but I didn't understand why she said that she asked him to call the police?
    Because she didn't know better and was scared. Maybe she thought it might be bogus.

You do raise the irksome issue of being illegal when the license isn't on one's person. I wish the legislatures would change that so there is no crime involved if you can show that indeed you are licensed.

Close call, at least you have a copy and could probably use it if you never found the orginial. I laminated mine and it sits where the bills should. I dont carry cash in my wallet so it works fine there. You can also trim it down a bit to make it fit a bit nicer. Laminating your card will make it last. I didnt do it to my old one and by the end of the 5 year mark, it was so flimsey and worn out that you couldnt read it. Thats not a good thing.

They used to do that with permits here and people were laminating them. Now they are made just like driver's licenses.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar

I don't get it...

OK, she finds a license and gives it to a guard. Then later she asks you if you lost it. How did she pick you out of the local population?

Maybe she memorized the license photo and cruised around until she saw your face... If no photo on your license, how she found you is an even bigger mystery.

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    Maybe she memorized the license photo and cruised around until she saw your face...
    We dont have pictures on our CPLs. I pretty much just says our name, address, DOB, description, issuing agency, exp date, and number. Just for your information.

VIP Member
    *ARGH* I thought that kind of thing only happened to me!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Gee whiz! I'm glad it turned out okay for you.
    I do find it odd that the lady thinks you need the cops called, and then wants to confront you alone.
    Maybe I'm missing something in the translation.
    It’s so much easier now days, to "Love and honor" my wife, when she is armed, and shoots a better group than I do. (Till death do us part, eh?)

“The way you get shot by a concealed weapons permit holder is, you point a gun at him,” the Sheriff said.

glad in TN ours are just like our DL except it says handgun permit and red boarder. I had an extra one before i renewed this last time. I need to get a copy. I had a DL and HCP duplicate that I left in my glove box with my car insurance. I have actually walked out of the house with out my wallet before

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    OK, she finds a license and gives it to a guard. Then later she asks you if you lost it. How did she pick you out of the local population?

Maybe she memorized the license photo and cruised around until she saw your face... If no photo on your license, how she found you is an even bigger mystery.
    She saw the CPL falling out of my pocket, she obviously read it and saw concealed pistol license. There is no photo on the CPL. There is no other way she could have known it was mine unless she saw it fall off. I know I will have nightmares of old women on motorized chairs trying to run me over.
    Vince K

ok, I have to ask. What is it with you dude? So little time and so many "incidents". Are you a magnet for this or is something else going on?
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

Quote Originally Posted by tbrenke View Post
    ok, I have to ask. What is it with you dude? So little time and so many "incidents". Are you a magnet for this or is something else going on?
    I have no idea, this has never happened to me at such close intervals. Maybe its one of those times when my stars are not aligned correctly...I don't beleive in that anyway...

I must admit, misplacing my CPL in the mall was my own stupidity. I should have been more alert and had the CPL in my inner jacket pocket instead of the back pocket.
    Vince K

I would say that for the next month, I would just go to work and go home. see if this trend will ware off before things turn bad. best wishes to you.

try hanging around up here for a while. no issues.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links