I can't get comfortable in my carry. What am I doing wrong?

This is a discussion on I can't get comfortable in my carry. What am I doing wrong? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I use VM2's, Tucker, Crossbreed Super Tuck, and other tuckable holsters and I look like I am deformed. It seems that they stick out like ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: I can't get comfortable in my carry. What am I doing wrong?

I can't get comfortable in my carry. What am I doing wrong?

I use VM2's, Tucker, Crossbreed Super Tuck, and other tuckable holsters and I look like I am deformed. It seems that they stick out like a sore thumb. I always tuck my shirt in, so this makes it tougher I guess. It just looks like a growth on my hip. I have tried it at 3, 3.30, 4, and 5 o'clock. I have used a 3" kimber, a 4" Wilson CQB Compact and a Glock 27. I can put smaller guns in my pockets but they are smaller guns.
    How many sizes larger are the pants supposed to be? I am using about 2" larger.
    I have a supertuck on order and should get it in a few days. They have a 60 day return if you don't like it. I read all of the testimonials and they like it. It just looks like it could get mighty congested at that area.

Your thoughts on what I may be doing wrong?

2. Remove Ads

Maybe it's in your eyes and not as obvious as you think. We are so self conscious of anything different on ourselves but not to everyone else.

Sarge posted a thread, can't remember the name of it, but he wore shirt inside out, different color shoe strings , lot of stuff at work and no one even noticed.
    2 Chronicles 7:14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Maybe it's in your eyes and not as obvious as you think
    This is very true. Most average folks won't notice anything they're not specifically looking for. As far as the issue of the big bulge on 1 side of the hip - it's all about symmetry. Use a larger sized shirt if necessary, and try to "blouse" the part tucked in at the waist. It looks a little sloppy, compared to the tightly tucked in style, but it's actually how many people currently wear tucked shirts. That way the bulge is pretty even around the body circumference, and the bulge just blends into the overall look.
    HTH

-jb

VIP Member
    Stop tucking. Maybe your build is giving you away. I almost never tuck and my gun is invisible.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

If you are a lean person like me (6'2" 170lbs) it can be hard to tuck.Try blousing your shirt a bit when you tuck, that does the trick for me.

Fess

I agree that it is most likely just your eyes/self conciousness. Have you carried in public much? It may take a few weeks or even months for it to be second nature, where you are not so self concious.
    Pray for our nations leaders!

You didn't say how you were dressing. Business or causal ? I wear all of my shirts untucked but I dress causal. As mentioned blouse your shirt all the way around. I get shirts that are a size larger with long tails.
    Has anyone asked about your "bulge"? Maybe it is just you. We all have had to make changes and adjustments to carry.
    Welcome aboard the club.
    Semper Fi

Instead of tucking in your shirt like normal, try tucking it in under the belt from the bottom up,.. Just the last inch or so,.. It will blouse it some and hides your weapon better.. I was somewhere a few weeks ago and they gave me a new tee shirt that I needed to wear,. I couldn't let it hang without it printing so I had to get creative, and found out if I tuck like I discribed above, it didn't print at all.. Worked great,.

I agree, to often we know it is there and see things the the sheep don't see,... .Don't worry about it as much as you would like to,.. just a little something isn't anything to most people..

I wear a 100% cotton inner shirt or an underarmor dri-fit one in summer and a half sleeve shirt over it. It conceals perfectly. If I am wearing business casual, I wear a light jacket/sportcoat over the shirt.

Vince K
    Aerospace Designer, Freemason, NRA member

I find tucking to be nearly impossible with a lot of handguns.

The shirt needs to be long enough that you can--what do they call that, "blouse"?--the tail a little bit. This gives some looseness to the shirt and can help conceal it. I wish I could find it, there was a guy who used to CCW a Glock 23 in a CTAC with V-Clips while wearing business casual. He made that thing disappear.

+1 on Wolfshead's post... I've been wearing untucked golf and hawaiian shirts for years and with an undershirt I've found that I can even use an OWB holster and still conceal well. It's more comfortable that way too.

Just my two cents... Stay Safe!
    "The way I figure it having a concealed gun is like wearing your seat belt. You hope that you never need it but, the one time you don't wear it and something happens you or your mourning family will be sorry you didn't have it."

I can't pull off the tucked look, either. I carry a Kahr PM9 or PM45 in a Crossbreed Supertuck - the gun dissapears with an untucked polo or T-shirt, but I get a huge "tumor" when I try to tuck. Not a problem evenings and weekends when I can untuck, but I have to wear slacks and tucked button-down shirts at work (no tie at least, whew). I don't know if it's my build (5'10", 150ish) or what, but I just wear a 5.11 holster shirt at work instead of trying to tuck.
    Last edited by 3KahrGarage; June 16th, 2009 at 02:42 PM. Reason: Typos - lousy tiny smartphone keyboards.
    -LP
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." - Alexander Hamilton, The Federalist Papers at 184-188

For me, what works is a Crossbreed Supertuck at around 3:30 for my G30. It is not very comfortable but it is the most comfortable I have been able to get while carrying such a bulky gun. I wear hawaiian shorts untucked and I even tuck some shirts. When tucked, I "blouse" the shirt over and I use my cell at about 3:00 to cover the waistline deformation.

Works for me, I do presentations in front of people at work and nobody has noticed (or they haven't told me). Good luck!
    G21SF, G30, G36, Ruger SP101 DAO, S&W 642

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    I tuck a G27 and get self concious once in a while. I'm a bigger build weighing about 240 so the grip melds into the softer center. Blousing with loose shirts helps and the cell phone trick mentioned above is huge too. I've been tucking for a year and haven't been busted yet....

If you can't get comfortable with it, try a Smartcarry.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...martcarry.html
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    It might also just be a case of getting your body adjusted to it. I know with how I carry the soft spot under my ribcage in my back is now tougher skin then the rest of my back. I'm also a skinny guy, and no matter what what I carry digs in some how a little.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links