Knock on the door at 10:30pm last night...

This is a discussion on Knock on the door at 10:30pm last night... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Last night at 10:30 the doorbell rings. Our neighbors had just left the house about 15 minutes prior, so I thought it might be them. ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Knock on the door at 10:30pm last night...

Last night at 10:30 the doorbell rings. Our neighbors had just left the house about 15 minutes prior, so I thought it might be them. I peered through the door with my G30 on my right hip. It was a woman that I didn't recognize. I opened the door with my hand on my grip, hidden under my cover shirt. The screen door was between us, as I asked her what she needed. She said she had run out of gas and wanted to know if I had any. I answered her honestly as I had just used the last of my gas on my lawn that morning. I offered her to use my cellphone to call someone to help her, but she declined, saying that she didn't know anyone close enough in the area to help. My wife then suggested that I run up to the gas station to get some gas for her. Reluctantly I agreed, and told the woman I would be out in a moment. I closed the door and gathered my shoes, made sure I had my other EDC gear.

I went outside where she was waiting at my sidewalk, and I looked around the area, trying to keep up my SA. Her truck was parked in the middle of the street about 35 yards away with it's emergency flashers on, but there are no street lights in our neighborhood so I couldn't see in. She asked if I smoke, which I assumed was her way of asking for a light, and I said no. She then pulled out 2 plastic wrapped packs of cigarettes and said I could have them for the gas. I told her no thanks. I realized then that I had left my keys in the house and had just locked myself outside, so I knocked on the door, and told my wife that it was me, and that I forgot my truck keys. I came in and told her that I just didn't get a good feeling. She asked for her father to go with me. So when I go back outside, she is standing there with a 5 gallon empty gas jug (not mine). I took it from her and said I'd be right back.

While driving away with my father-in-law we see, as she gets in her truck that it's her and someone in the drivers seat. My father-in-law said he should have stayed at the house as we drove away. We got the gas and returned. The driver and passenger were both waiting in the truck. I walked the gas to them with my flashlight turned on, which I shined in the cab of the truck to confirm it was just the two passengers and to see anything else that I might NEED to see. The driver got out of the truck and took the gasoline and filled the tank up. He was very quiet, and didn't say much, and never made eye contact. When he finished, and was putting away the gas he asked if I had lived at my house long, and I just answered yes. He said he had a friend that lived there years ago. I didn't say anything in response. Next he asked, “Are you around home much?”, I asked why, and he said it was because he wanted to pay me for the gas and I just said I was glad I could help and that he didn't need to pay me for the gas. I walked away, he started up his truck and left.

Here's the oddities and tidbits.

1.)Our neighborhood is a circle, off a main road. There are a few side roads in the circle, but it's not a place someone would drive through, empty on gas, and with apparently no reason to be in the neighborhood (didn't live there, and admitted not knowing anyone who lived close by)
    2.)There is a gas station at the entrance to our neighborhood.
    3.)Why offer cigarettes to someone who said they don't smoke? If you can afford smokes, you can afford gas (granted, they could have been bought awhile ago)
    4.)Why not just walk the 1/3 mile to get the gas instead of knocking on someone's door at 10:30 at night?
    5.)I should have left my father-in-law at the house, or sent him to get the gas while I stayed at home with my family. My wife however had access to the other gun in the the house, though not proficient in it's use (hope to resolve that issue this week).
    6.)My dogs were let in the house when we left...my Rotty-Chow is a good deterrent for anyone wanting to break in.
    7.)When I drove away from the house to get the gas, initially I was worried, but they wouldn't have anticipated for me to offer to get gas...right?
    8.)The truck was a 90's model Chevy. It started up immediately without hesitation. Would that happen on empty, having just filled up with 4 gallons?

Any thoughts? Comments? Do you think they were casing the house? What would you have done different?
    Sejune
    Glock 30 .45
    Springfield XD 9

Sure sounds fishy to me. Glad you're okay.
    I ain't what I otta be, I ain't what I wanta be, I ain't what I could be,

But thank God, I ain't what I used to be,
    And, Praise God, I ain't what I'm gonna be!

II Cor 3:18

wow, close one. Sound to me like they might have been casing your house! If no one answered then they would proceed with the break in. Since you did answer the door, they had to have a reason.

I would get your wife trained up on firearms use, make sure you lock your doors and windows, ALWAYS carry, and if you ever see them again in your neighborhood make sure to say hello...

The truck probably would not start only after a few truns of the motor. Usually it takes a few good cranks.

Hind sight is always 20-20. I have had simular experences and only after it happened realized that things were not as they might have seemed.

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    If a vehicle runs out of gas it takes a few tries to start back up, but that's if it literally cuts off do to lack of fuel. The whole thing just seems off to me.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

VIP Member
    Sounds like they ran out of gas to me. Sometimes people act funny when they are embarassed.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

The truck was a 90's model Chevy. It started up immediately without hesitation. Would that happen on empty, having just filled up with 4 gallons?

Yes it would start without any hesitation. I have a 98 F150 and have ran out of gas. But as they say go with your first instincs I hope I spelled that correctly.

Would have gone myself and not left my wife home alone.....that was risky IMO.

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    Fuel injected engines start fast. Glad all went well. Maybe they had no money for gas,who knows. At least you were prepared to protect yourself if the good deed went wrong.

Mid 90's = Fuel Injected...

Yes, it would start right up as long as the fuel line was pressurized.

Quote Originally Posted by xXxplosive View Post
    Would have gone myself and not left my wife home alone.....that was risky IMO.
    Agreed. I did fail to mention that my mother-in-law was home with my wife as well. Sorry, forgot to add that detail.
    Sejune
    Glock 30 .45
    Springfield XD 9

A couple of things stick out for me: "he never made eye contact", which might mean he didn't want you to get a good look at him. "Are you around home much" knowing the layout of your house stating that a friend lived there. Yeah I think something was going on here.
    Make sure Rotty-Chow always stays a little hungry.

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    He said his friend used to live in your house, maybe they were hoping he still did, and wold have asked HIM for gas, but then YOU answered the door, and they had to ask you instead? Sounds like the guy was really embarassed, which might explain why no eye contact. If they were desperate enough to beg a total stranger at 10:30pm for gas, they probably had absolutely NOTHING of value, and felt like offering you cigarettes was the best they could to do try and make it right. Also sounds like maybe they did time in the pokey -- aren't cigs used as currency there?

Definitely glad your SA was up, you were armed, and nothing happened. They might have been casing the place, but then, some people are just plain WEIRD. That could very well have been it, too. Who knows?
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

They were probably checking out the house. My neice is married to a preacher. He had someone call him one night that went to his church (a teenager). Said he was out of gas and would he come help him. He had tried calling his dad but he wasn't answering. So good hearted guy he is, he dressed went to put gas in the car and as he was putting the gas in, he caught a glance at a crowbar coming down toward his head. He saw it just in time to swing the gas can in the guys face. Broke his teeth out and the guy ran.

The next day the guy's dad showed up at the preachers dad's house wanting to know if Jay was going to pay for the son's teeth.

I think if I had been in your situation, I would have very casually said. I'll be right back, I have to get my gun, you know you can't be too careful these days going out this late. You should be more careful also lol. That would have give them food for thought.
    2 Chronicles 7:14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Had a similar experience last year. Gal ran out of gas in front of my house (on a sparsely-populated and not well-travelled road); I always keep 5-10 gallons on hand and was able to help her out. But I was hyper-alert and made sure no one else was around in the car or the field across the road before I put the gas in her car. Many years ago (before cell phones), my motorcycle lost the oil from the sump on a rural road one night. I hiked to the nearest house, but they wouldn't call my wife for me or even call the highway patrol. Luckily, another rider went past about an hour later and gave me a ride to the nearest town where I could use a pay phone to call my wife to bring the van. I understand their fear, but sheesh, they wouldn't even call the cops!

I would have asked her to give it one more try (sometimes these trucks can be tricky...is what I would have said) and I would view the gas gauge...really on empty?

Sounds like you had your bases covered though...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links