New to CC. Question for those more experienced

This is a discussion on New to CC. Question for those more experienced within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As the title says I am new to the forum and relatively new to CC (will be applying for my license later this year), but ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to CC. Question for those more experienced

As the title says I am new to the forum and relatively new to CC (will be applying for my license later this year), but I had a question for those who have been around it more.

Anyway, are there any statistics available, or at least an educated guess on what percentage of CC holders have ever actually had to draw (or fire for that matter) their weapon?

Just my curiosity at work.

Thanks

None that I am aware of. You would be hard pressed to find anything solid for law enforcement either. What kind of case are you trying to build? You can look at the crime history and tell how many people wished they had a gun to draw after the fact.

Senior Moderator
    I don't know of a good place to get hard numbers but if I had to guess in would be less than 1%
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

There are some estimates that lawful citizens use their weapon for defensive purposes (not always firing it, by the way) somewhere between 800,000 and 2,500,000 times a year.

I know that is not what you asked, but it is the closest numbers I know of.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by FlyboyLDB View Post
    What kind of case are you trying to build?
    Not really trying to build any kind of case. I grew up shooting and hunting, most of my girlfriend's immediate family is gun friendly, so I don't really have anyone to convince of anything.

I was just curious.

Hi

Not worried re intention, implictit or explict.

Main thing is u need ccp if u carry and are stopped.
    Glock 33 .357 SIG plus .40 S&W barrel for most of practice. Keep loaded with .357 SIG hollow point for home protection.

RugerLCP .380 equipped with Crimson Trace for everyday carry.

http://www.christinacooks.com/

Welcome to the forum. I hope I never need to use mine, but I feel good knowing I can defend myself and my family if needed.
    We can't stop here...this is bat country.
    Μολὼν λαβέ
    Res Ipsa Loquitur

Welcome...

from Central Florida!

The news media ignores any successful efforts by CCW'ers in defending themselves from roaming thugs. Even if it happens, the CCW part us never given any headlines.

ret
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; June 17th, 2009 at 12:17 PM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    from Central Florida!

The new media ignores any successful efforts by CCW'ers in defending themselves from roaming thugs. Even if it happens, the CCW part us never given any headlines.

ret
    Actually, I was shocked last night to see a positive blurb on the tube about an 85 year old woman who had a gun and held a young home invader at gunpoint, made him dial 911, and kept him spread eagled on the floor till the LEOs arrived. It also mentioned she had been on the Today show and a couple of other programs. It wasn't much, she didn't have to shoot, but she did use a gun to protect herself and the news put her in a positive light!! Amazing!
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Quote Originally Posted by JDE101 View Post
    Actually, I was shocked last night to see a positive blurb on the tube about an 85 year old woman who had a gun and held a young home invader at gunpoint, made him dial 911, and kept him spread eagled on the floor till the LEOs arrived. It also mentioned she had been on the Today show and a couple of other programs. It wasn't much, she didn't have to shoot, but she did use a gun to protect herself and the news put her in a positive light!! Amazing!

Always good to see stories like that make headlines. But, if it were a 30 year old male who defended himself that way, he wouldn't be a Today show guest. They just like the novelty of an old lady defending herself. Did they comment that it would be nice if all Americans could defend themselves this way?

I just did a little research and you have about a .02% chance of being a victim of violent crime in a year. So if you carried every day for 50 years there would be a 10% chance you would have actually needed it.

According to this month's (July 2009) column "The Armed Citizen" in the American Rifleman, "firearms are used over 2 million times a year for personal protection, and that the presence of a firearm, without a shot being fired, prevents crime in many instances".

Now that doesn't answer your question about how many times a firearm was drawn, but let you know how any times they have provided protection.
    Nill illigitimi carborundum
    -----------------------------
    Captain von Trapp: If the Nazis take over Austria, I have no doubt, Herr Zeller, that you will be the entire trumpet section.
    Herr Zeller: You flatter me, Captain.
    Captain von Trapp: Oh, how clumsy of me - I meant to accuse you.

Quote Originally Posted by coltrane59 View Post
    Always good to see stories like that make headlines. But, if it were a 30 year old male who defended himself that way, he wouldn't be a Today show guest. They just like the novelty of an old lady defending herself. Did they comment that it would be nice if all Americans could defend themselves this way?
    In answer to your question no. And I agree, they were making a big deal out of her being a little old grandma. Probably would have been much different if it had been a young male. Actually, probably would not have even mentioned it. But at least it was positive toward the use of a gun for self defense, and pointed out to the sheep who watched that not all gun owners are beer bellied rednecks out blasting indiscriminately at bambis, road signs, and honest citizens. Ever seen any of Mike Peters editorial "cartoons"?
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    I don't know of a good place to get hard numbers but if I had to guess in would be less than 1%
    I agree with this number. (best guess).

and, welcome to the fourm.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

Well, we know it does happen because there are documented news reports on it, but I suspect the % is very small probably well under 1%. I've carried for almost three years now and I have never even come close to any situation where I thought I might have to.
    JimH
    Kentucky
    S&W 442, Bersa 380, S&W 9mm M&P, Springfield XD40c
    Member: NRA, USCCA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links