Westchester County NY Full Carry Permit Holders - Page 2

Westchester County NY Full Carry Permit Holders

This is a discussion on Westchester County NY Full Carry Permit Holders within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello Gentlemen, Listen i was trying to get a permit so i can attend a school. How bad is westchester county in getting one for ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 36
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Westchester County NY Full Carry Permit Holders

  1. #16
    New Member Array salsero76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    1
    Hello Gentlemen,
    Listen i was trying to get a permit so i can attend a school. How bad is westchester county in getting one for school issues??? 2 do i need to have a NY LIC because being in the military I have another state Drivers LIC. i read so much about this full carry. Should i go full out and get one so i can travel so I can get to ranges and places to practice so i can be set for school???


  2. #17
    Member Array jbone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    NY, USA
    Posts
    438
    Quote Originally Posted by salsero76 View Post
    Hello Gentlemen,
    Listen i was trying to get a permit so i can attend a school. How bad is westchester county in getting one for school issues??? 2 do i need to have a NY LIC because being in the military I have another state Drivers LIC. i read so much about this full carry. Should i go full out and get one so i can travel so I can get to ranges and places to practice so i can be set for school???
    What type of school? I do not believe NYS makes any exceptions for people in the military unless it is a military issued firearm that you have permission to carry (better check to be sure). Im pretty sure you also have to have a permanent residence in NYS to get a pistol license.

    P.S. - I also dont suggest calling them and asking what you need to do to bring a gun to school...
    Note: This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, or may entirely lack a coherent theme. These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the overall beauty of the post.

  3. #18
    Member Array jbone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    NY, USA
    Posts
    438
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetpilot007 View Post
    Thanks everyone. Jbone: The revocation was in Westchester? That is just plain nonsense. What next. The politcal system in this state makes my sick. I am hoping that in the next major elections we can vote the bums out. I am sick and tired of hearing law abiding citizens having their rights infringed. Just plain nonsense.
    Yup, Westchester. Im trying to get more details but my friend is still on vacation.
    Note: This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, or may entirely lack a coherent theme. These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the overall beauty of the post.

  4. #19
    Senior Member Array boscobeans's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    upstate new york
    Posts
    1,178
    I would like to hear the details of the permit revocation for pocket carry.. I, as well as a few people I know, pocket carry a lot and some of them are LEO's.

    Could it be that he had a permit with restrictions and was carrying the pistol outside of those restrictions ?

    bosco

  5. #20
    Senior Member Array SCfromNY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    1,062
    First as an ex NY resident congratulations on your full carry. It is a fact that except for NYC the rest of NY's permits are ALL FULL CARRY!. The retrictions are administrative only. If you have a target/hunting restriction and get caught carrying concealed you will 99% of the time lose your permit BUT there are no legal consequences.

    Also you can carry to a range and there are many 24 hour ranges. Ask yourself why?
    Registration: A prelude to Confiscation and Anarchy.

  6. #21
    VIP Member Array JonInNY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Mid-Hudson Valley New York State
    Posts
    4,207
    Congratulations! That's a great achievement. I',m two counties to the north of you, in Ulster, where it's reatively easy to get the full carry CCW.

    And c'mon guys, let's not bash NY State. Some of the comments above are a little nasty. Aside from our ridiculous gun laws, NY State is a beautiful place to live. I would not bash anyone else's home state, and I've been to almost all of them. Every state has beauty in it's own way! My 2.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

  7. #22
    Member Array jh225's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Down South
    Posts
    162
    Quote Originally Posted by JonInNY View Post
    And c'mon guys, let's not bash NY State. Some of the comments above are a little nasty. Aside from our ridiculous gun laws, NY State is a beautiful place to live. I would not bash anyone else's home state, and I've been to almost all of them. Every state has beauty in it's own way! My 2.
    Sorry, but NYS and it's liberal, anti-constitution, gun grabbing, tax you until you bleed politicians are one of the main reason I will soon be departing after almost 50 years. That plus the welfare clowns, ignorant drivers who think they own the road (while going no where in a hurry), rudeness, and the list goes on and on.

    Upper NY has some beautiful land, but I am done. Hell, I am well done, close to burnt. Grew up here, played here, did 20 for .Gov here and its time to go where citizens are still free.

  8. #23
    Senior Member Array SCfromNY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    1,062
    As an ex NY resident i agree with both sides.

    I found that living on L.I. I had access to some of the best restaurants with a stunning variety. We could argrue restaurants forever just do not try to compare pizza and bagels.

    I could also on my motorcycle or car in about an hour either be in mountains, a major city, or the best beaches in the world. Mountains are now 5 hours away.

    NY taxes are ridiculas as well as their liberal laws. My taxes are now 10% of what they were and at least living in Ny you can look down on NJ.

    I am currently satisfied in SC but driving skills are as bad if not worse. No inspections, no registration or lights required for many trailers.

    However , I now carry daily and in the last 9 days have shot an USPSA match, An IDPA match, and a bullseye match.

    Almost everywhere has its pros and cons though I would be hard pressed to list the pros for NJ and IL.
    Registration: A prelude to Confiscation and Anarchy.

  9. #24
    New Member Array GunLawyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    5
    That sounds like a typical Westchester response, no matter what happened try to take away the pistol license. Hopefully, things will change soon. Your grandfather should fight the revocation. He has four months from the date he received notice from the Court to file an article 78 proceeding.

  10. #25
    New Member Array GunLawyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetpilot007 View Post
    For New York State the licensing authority is each of the counties. Excluding NY City because it is almost impossible to get a pistol period, the most notorious counties are Westchester and Rockland counties. Two of my family members have placed paperwork to remove their restrictions (target & hunting) and be granted Full Carry status but they were denied. It is just screwed. However, I now have been carrying since Feb 2009 and I love it. It is an awsome responsibility as well as a way of life. Gotta love the 2nd Amendment.
    Just because they were denied once doesn't mean they can't apply again. Don't give up!

  11. #26
    New Member Array GunLawyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetpilot007 View Post
    First off Westchester County does in fact discourgae permit holders from an amendment change to Full Carry. In fact there is nothing to suggest that the County has such a process. Back when, if one called the County to see what the process entailed to obtain a Full Carry, the clerk would simply state the "County does not have such a process". However I spoke to an individual who was successful in amending his pistol permit to Full Carry status. When I found that out, I went IN PERSON to the County Clerk Office. Well, after a lengthy debate the County did in fact have a process for an amendment change. First and foremost, an individual MUST POSSESS JUST CAUSE to obtain a FULL CARRY license. Since I am in a very security sensitive profession I had an excellent shot. The paperwork was I believe 2 or 3 pages. Surprisingly no additional references were required. Once the paperwork gets completed it is sent to the County Police Commissioner where HE makes a reccomendation of affirmative or denial. That outcome is then sent to the Judge where he or she signs off on the proposed amendment form.

    After 2 months, I finally received noticed of a Reccomendation of Denial. Basically it stated I did not have sufficient cause for a Full Carry Permit. However I was given an opportunity to appeal. This time I wrote a detailed 5 page single spaced explanation with 25 exhibits. Oh notarized signatures all over the place. Anyway 2 weeks later, the final tally, I WAS APPROVED! I was so happy. No lawyers. ALL ME. I have heard of people spending thousands of dollars on lawayers fees. That day I was on a quest to purchase a carry piece as a gift to myself. And sure enough I was true to my word. The moral of the story NEVER EVER GIVE UP THE FIGHT FOR WHAT IS A FUNDAMENTAL RIGHT OF MAN TO OWN A FIREARM!
    Congratulations! It is not common to get a full carry without someone walking you through the process, but it definitely can be done. Paying someone, even a lawyer, thousands of dollars to complete a pistol license application, or writing a letter to the court to rebut the police commissioner's recommendation of denial, or filing an article 78 proceeding seems high to me. I would expect that type of money for an "official" appeal, only. Good luck!

  12. #27
    New Member Array GunLawyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by salsero76 View Post
    Hello Gentlemen,
    Listen i was trying to get a permit so i can attend a school. How bad is westchester county in getting one for school issues??? 2 do i need to have a NY LIC because being in the military I have another state Drivers LIC. i read so much about this full carry. Should i go full out and get one so i can travel so I can get to ranges and places to practice so i can be set for school???
    Because you're in the military it should be easy for you to get a full carry, as long as you put the right info in your application. But, BE CAREFUL about carrying on school grounds. Guns of any kind on school grounds is a sensitive subject these days, and many governments both big and small have laws about it. Some of those laws have teeth, others don't. Even if your school doesn't have a law with teeth, you'll have to go through the whole process of proving it's a toothless tiger to get the judgment saying it's toothless. The cost of going through that process, both emotionally and financially, is probably not worth the judgment (a piece of paper) you may get, to hang on your wall.

  13. #28
    New Member Array GunLawyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by SCfromNY View Post
    First as an ex NY resident congratulations on your full carry. It is a fact that except for NYC the rest of NY's permits are ALL FULL CARRY!. The retrictions are administrative only. If you have a target/hunting restriction and get caught carrying concealed you will 99% of the time lose your permit BUT there are no legal consequences.

    Also you can carry to a range and there are many 24 hour ranges. Ask yourself why?
    NYS Penal Law section 400.00 governs the issuance and renewal of pistol licenses for the entire state. Violation of any of the provisions of your license is classified as a class A misdemeanor. However, governmental authorities can also proceed against you through an administrative process and have your license suspended or revoked. If it's revoked and you subsequently decide to buy a long gun, you will have to answer "yes" to the question "Have you ever had a firearm license revoked?" That could delay or prevent you from buying that gun you want, depending on the level of service the salesperson displays. So, there ARE legal and non-legal consequences for violating the terms of your license. Which of these you will face depends on your local government and the facts of your case. Also, to "carry" generally means to have on your person; to "transport" generally means to have in a carrying case and stored out of reach (read trunk) in your car. Generally, if you have a target/hunting license you can have it on you as you go to and from the range/hunting area, and short detours like getting gas, a cup of coffee, cigarettes, bathroom, etc, because the alternative, leaving it in your car unlocked and/or unattended is worse and has resulted in people having their license revoked. One detour that I've seen a court hold to be invalid is going from the range to a wedding. Not only did the individual stay at the wedding for some time, but they started a fight with someone in the wedding party and lost the gun in the shuffle. Avoid that fact pattern. Also, courts are savvy to abuses of the 24 hour ranges. If you're stopped north of your home as you're driving north, and the range is south of your home, you better have a real good explanation to justify the claim of "I was just going to the range." Courts don't have to believe everything you say. If the judge/licensing officer finds your testimony to be "not credible" he/she will rule against you and suspend or revoke your license. Be smart. Just follow the rules, and everyone wins.

  14. #29
    New Member Array Kyle Anthony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Westchester County NY
    Posts
    11
    Congrats on getting those removed! I am working on putting together a package to try and do the same.


    Salsero,
    from my understanding, being current military may only help you carry while working and if it is your duty to carry at that time. I do not think they issue permits for that because it is already an excemption in the law.

    Prior millitary will only exempt you from taking a firearms course. It may help in getting your application approved but will likely do little in removing restrictions in westchester county.

    As for carrying at school: (according to my interpritation-see article below)The NYS law allows carry on State School property if you are licenesd to carry and have a letter from the president of the school allowing you to carry there. I have heared through the grape vine of a few SUNY presidents actually doing this. Which is a good thing since I was at SUNY westchester when a gunman shot his ex-girlfriend then himself. Luckily he didn't shoot anyone else. As for private schools I assume it would be the same since they are probably "gun free zones" but being private property you would need permission.

    Also non-resident permits are issued, but apparently you need a very very good reason..... whatever that means


    The Military Exemption is Article 265.20 (exemptions)
    (a) Persons in the military service of the state of New York when duly
    authorized by regulations issued by the adjutant general to possess the
    same.
    (d) Persons in the military or other service of the United States, in
    pursuit of official duty or when duly authorized by federal law,
    regulation or order to possess the same.

    The School exepmtion is under 265.01 Criminal possession of a weapon in the fourth degree.

    (3) He or she knowingly has in his or her possession a rifle, shotgun
    or firearm in or upon a building or grounds, used for educational
    purposes, of any school, college or university, except the forestry
    lands, wherever located, owned and maintained by the State University of
    New York college of environmental science and forestry, or upon a school
    bus as defined in section one hundred forty-two of the vehicle and
    traffic law, without the written authorization of such educational
    institution
    ; or

    If you read Article 400.0 you will see the exemptions and other things referenced in Article 265.20 and others

  15. #30
    New Member Array piper091's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    New Rochelle, NY 10805
    Posts
    1

    Westchester County Permit recommended for denial

    Hello I am new to the forum. I am in the same position you were. My permit for full carry has been recommended for denial and I now have 10 days to respond. What type of exhibits did you submit to refute your denial letter?

    Sincerely

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Hello from Westchester County
    By riavarone in forum New Members Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: July 11th, 2010, 06:38 PM
  2. Concealed Carry Permit Holders
    By foots402 in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: February 1st, 2010, 11:39 AM
  3. Upgrading to a Full Carry in Putnam County, NY?
    By MMOUNTAIN in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: July 23rd, 2009, 01:33 PM
  4. What is our mission as concealed carry permit holders?
    By Slimz13 in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: October 14th, 2008, 03:50 PM
  5. New Guy From Westchester County NY
    By Kyle Anthony in forum New Members Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: October 9th, 2008, 08:49 PM

Search tags for this page

concealed carry westchester county ny

,

full carry permit ny

,
full carry permit westchester county ny
,

westchester county carry permit

,

westchester county concealed carry permit

,

westchester county full carry

,

westchester county full carry permit

,
westchester county full carry pistol permits
,

westchester county pistol permit amendment

,
westchester county pistol permit full carry
,

westchester county pistol permit holders

,

westchester county pistol permit process

Click on a term to search for related topics.