Westchester County NY Full Carry Permit Holders

This is a discussion on Westchester County NY Full Carry Permit Holders within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Greetings all. Back in Feb 2009 I was successful in removing all restrictions to my NYS Pistol Permit. Hence it is now a Full Carry ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Westchester County NY Full Carry Permit Holders

Westchester County NY Full Carry Permit Holders

Greetings all. Back in Feb 2009 I was successful in removing all restrictions to my NYS Pistol Permit. Hence it is now a Full Carry permit. It was a painful process but worth every once of effort. It would be great to hear what other Westchester residents have gone through to obtain their Full Carry permit. I know that it is indeed a rare event to obtain a Full Cary here in Westchester. Yet one goes to the next county northward e.g. Putnam and the process is so much easier. Looking forward to hearing from you.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    congrats! i didn't know anywhere in NY offered full permits...
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

For New York State the licensing authority is each of the counties. Excluding NY City because it is almost impossible to get a pistol period, the most notorious counties are Westchester and Rockland counties. Two of my family members have placed paperwork to remove their restrictions (target & hunting) and be granted Full Carry status but they were denied. It is just screwed. However, I now have been carrying since Feb 2009 and I love it. It is an awsome responsibility as well as a way of life. Gotta love the 2nd Amendment.

VIP Member
    How about a brief rundown on the hurdles?
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

First off Westchester County does in fact discourgae permit holders from an amendment change to Full Carry. In fact there is nothing to suggest that the County has such a process. Back when, if one called the County to see what the process entailed to obtain a Full Carry, the clerk would simply state the "County does not have such a process". However I spoke to an individual who was successful in amending his pistol permit to Full Carry status. When I found that out, I went IN PERSON to the County Clerk Office. Well, after a lengthy debate the County did in fact have a process for an amendment change. First and foremost, an individual MUST POSSESS JUST CAUSE to obtain a FULL CARRY license. Since I am in a very security sensitive profession I had an excellent shot. The paperwork was I believe 2 or 3 pages. Surprisingly no additional references were required. Once the paperwork gets completed it is sent to the County Police Commissioner where HE makes a reccomendation of affirmative or denial. That outcome is then sent to the Judge where he or she signs off on the proposed amendment form.

After 2 months, I finally received noticed of a Reccomendation of Denial. Basically it stated I did not have sufficient cause for a Full Carry Permit. However I was given an opportunity to appeal. This time I wrote a detailed 5 page single spaced explanation with 25 exhibits. Oh notarized signatures all over the place. Anyway 2 weeks later, the final tally, I WAS APPROVED! I was so happy. No lawyers. ALL ME. I have heard of people spending thousands of dollars on lawayers fees. That day I was on a quest to purchase a carry piece as a gift to myself. And sure enough I was true to my word. The moral of the story NEVER EVER GIVE UP THE FIGHT FOR WHAT IS A FUNDAMENTAL RIGHT OF MAN TO OWN A FIREARM!
    maniacmechanic likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    Congrats! Personally, I hated Scarsdale, it was like Nazi Germany. You can only have x-type of vehicles from this time to this time, you can't plant so-and-so bushes, trash must only be out between the hours of...we had the police come because we were MOVING IN and the moving van was there 15 minutes after 7pm, and we got a ticket. SERIOUSLY! (Maybe it was 8pm? Anyhow.) I think all of Westchester is pretty restrictive, which stinks, because anyone who heads into certain areas of Mt, Vernon or WP after dark SHOULD be armed.

Glad you were able to get an unrestricted permit. One carrier down, many more to go. Spread the word! :)
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

NY is too damn restrictive. One area of the country that I am looking at is NC or TN. In my profession I am always in the CLT RDU GSO and BNA areas. Love it. When did you move down?

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    To NC? 2 years ago. But we'd already moved back South years ago. NY was a quick blip where I took leave of my senses and agreed to live there for 24 months. I still wake up in a cold sweat from the nightmares! CLT is lovely, but try and get your CCW permit in any other county than Mecklenburg, the wait times here are insanity!
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jetpilot007 View Post
    First off Westchester County does in fact discourgae permit holders from an amendment change to Full Carry. In fact there is nothing to suggest that the County has such a process. Back when, if one called the County to see what the process entailed to obtain a Full Carry, the clerk would simply state the "County does not have such a process". However I spoke to an individual who was successful in amending his pistol permit to Full Carry status. When I found that out, I went IN PERSON to the County Clerk Office. Well, after a lengthy debate the County did in fact have a process for an amendment change. First and foremost, an individual MUST POSSESS JUST CAUSE to obtain a FULL CARRY license. Since I am in a very security sensitive profession I had an excellent shot. The paperwork was I believe 2 or 3 pages. Surprisingly no additional references were required. Once the paperwork gets completed it is sent to the County Police Commissioner where HE makes a reccomendation of affirmative or denial. That outcome is then sent to the Judge where he or she signs off on the proposed amendment form.

After 2 months, I finally received noticed of a Reccomendation of Denial. Basically it stated I did not have sufficient cause for a Full Carry Permit. However I was given an opportunity to appeal. This time I wrote a detailed 5 page single spaced explanation with 25 exhibits. Oh notarized signatures all over the place. Anyway 2 weeks later, the final tally, I WAS APPROVED! I was so happy. No lawyers. ALL ME. I have heard of people spending thousands of dollars on lawayers fees. That day I was on a quest to purchase a carry piece as a gift to myself. And sure enough I was true to my word. The moral of the story NEVER EVER GIVE UP THE FIGHT FOR WHAT IS A FUNDAMENTAL RIGHT OF MAN TO OWN A FIREARM!
    This alone is a pile of 'toro feces'...adding in all the other garbage should be criminal in and of itself.
    Congrats on your tenacious efforts.
    Aceoky likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

My friends grandfather just had his permit revoked. Apparently he had been in an auto accident, while he was carrying, and they decided to revoke his license because he had his gun in his pocket and not a holster Can you believe this?
    Note: This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, or may entirely lack a coherent theme. These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the overall beauty of the post.

Wow. Very impressive! Congrats. I'm a Westchester Co. transplant. The requirements to own, much less carry, a firearm are ridiculous. My wife wants to go back. Me and my guns want to stay right here;)
    HK45c V1

Thanks everyone. Jbone: The revocation was in Westchester? That is just plain nonsense. What next. The politcal system in this state makes my sick. I am hoping that in the next major elections we can vote the bums out. I am sick and tired of hearing law abiding citizens having their rights infringed. Just plain nonsense.

The whole state is a sh** hole,and those clowns in Albany aren't making it any better.

Thats why residents are leaving in large numbers. I hate NYS. 2 of the most detestable senators and a corrupt governor and legislature. Bunch of corrupt morons.

Congrats. Way too many counties are like yours. Fortunately I live in one that does not restrict.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links