Carrying in AZ Heat

Carrying in AZ Heat

This is a discussion on Carrying in AZ Heat within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello all, I carry ccw here in Arizona, however I haven't been carrying during my commute to work. My concern is leaving my XD in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carrying in AZ Heat

Carrying in AZ Heat

Hello all,
    I carry ccw here in Arizona, however I haven't been carrying during my commute to work. My concern is leaving my XD in the car in the AZ heat (I cannot legally bring it into my employer's place). Anyone have any thoughts on leaving their firearm in the car when it's parked outside and it's 115 degrees out (and a lot hotter inside the car)? Any potential problems?

My concern would be with leaving a gun unattended and unsecured.

Locked in a floor safe would be better, IMHO. As far as the heat, not really an issue.

Biker

You bring up a good point regarding leaving a handgun in a car. I live next one state to your left in Las Vegas, Nevada. Like you, it does concern me that I may have to leave my G26 in my COM safe in my pick-up. The heat does concern me to some degree.

My primary concern is keeping my G26 secure. My secondary concern is how hot the gun will get.
    My COM safe is cable locked to the bench seat of my pickup truck. I'm hoping that being beneath the seat will keep the heat from heating the gun up in the heat of the summer.

This is the first summer I will most likely have to store my G26 in the heat here in Vegas. I'm not too worried but the heat is an issue in which I'm concerned.

Only time will tell.
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

My Center of Mass safe is 'hidden' in my car. Someone taking my car would not find the safe. Heat is not a problem with which I am at all concerned.
    I seldom leave my gun in the car, but if I must...you are not going to find it.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Administrator
    "when it's parked outside and it's 115 degrees out (and a lot hotter inside the car)? Any potential problems?"

Not a problem for the gun or the ammo.

Though constant prolonged exposure to direct sunlight (strong UV radiation) can degrade some polymers.
    Also...higher temps can cause some oils to much more easily "migrate" so you should not internally oil your magazines or heavily oil the internals of your firearm.

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    I wouldn't sweat the heat. The polymers in your XD won't begin to get loosy-goosey until they are several hundred degrees, and ammo cooks off at higher than that unless you are using something weird.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

As many have said already,.. The heat isn't a problem.. My work currently will not allow in the building either,. I stow mine in a safe during the day in the car/bike...

The concern if making sure you have a safe,.. Not good to just leave it, but if no-one knows it is there you more then likely wouldn't have a problem.. Just recommend a safe..

My only problem with the AZ heat...is that my gun gets REALLY hot...like burn your hands hot.
    "I'm a big, hairy, American winning machine!" - Ricky Bobby

Quote Originally Posted by hidden View Post
    My only problem with the AZ heat...is that my gun gets REALLY hot...like burn your hands hot.
    WOW... Are you leaving them in the direct sun light?? I've never had any of mine get THAT hot.. Hmmmm

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    My concern would be with leaving a gun unattended and unsecured.

Locked in a floor safe would be better, IMHO. As far as the heat, not really an issue.

Biker
    agreed...i can't bring mine in here either (CO) so i lock it in the glovebox. I know a safe would be best and when i get the funds, i plan on getting one.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

Yeah what AZ rider said, the heat will not hurt the gun or ammo keep it out of the direct sunlight under the seat in one of those bolt down car guns safes, if anyone finds out you have a gun stored in the car you may come out one day to broken windows and no gun.....

Just beware of one thing, it can easily exceed 140 degrees in a closed vehicle there, so when you enter you car you could get burned by your own gun.....
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    Hey, Retsupt... how is your safe "hidden"...?
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon J View Post
    Just beware of one thing, it can easily exceed 140 degrees in a closed vehicle there, so when you enter you car you could get burned by your own gun.....

Oh the JOY in Polymar,.. I think the highest I've saw in inside of the car after sitting all day is 160 degrees,.. I keep a guage in the dash (not sure why) but is is nice to see that your AC is working on a hot day and you wonder why is seems so warm in there..

VIP Member
    I can’t think of any technical problems of leaving a gun in your car would have on the weapon. Perhaps a gun with CT grips containing batteries may be affected. Perhaps a good insulated gun rug will preempt any possible heat related concerns. Place it under the seat or in the trunk, etc.
    Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    Here in southwest Missouri it gets in the triple digits on occasion. I have been storing my pistol in my truck while at work for a number of years. It is locked in a center of mass safe and hidden were there is no direct sunlight hitting the safe. Never had the pistol too hot to grip.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links