New Utah Concealed Carry Video

This is a discussion on New Utah Concealed Carry Video within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Me and another instructor in my group just posted this new video on our site about Utah Concealed Carry Classes. What do you guys think? ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Utah Concealed Carry Video

Me and another instructor in my group just posted this new video on our site about Utah Concealed Carry Classes. What do you guys think?

YouTube - Utah Concealed Carry Classes from CarryUtah.com
    Jacob S Paulsen
    http://www.carryutah.com
    Utah Concealed Carry Instructor, NRA Instructor & RSO

Well you asked.

I think its a good ploy to get people into your class but you are claiming its a good general firearms training course. Well how can that be. How can you teach firearm safety, range safety, cleaning, ect without getting hands on. An important part of firearms is shooting isn't it? There are way better beginner firearms classes out here then the Utah CWP class. I also like how you talk down on classes taught by retired or active officers. I would rather get instruction from a guy with some real life experience then a guy with some book learning. Plus the big guy needs to work on his public speaking, the hand gestures would drive me crazy during a class.

Guess the class I took from the cop was worthless.

Yeah you did ask,

I didn't watch the whole thing cuz, I am old and I fall alseep easy. I did go to your website and I noticed acouple of things.

1st, its a nice website very sharp and clean.

2nd Between the 4 instructors you have a total of 7 years instructing.

Which to me explains why you do not have your students shoot live fire.

3rd You state that your classes are scheduled for three hours, the BCI website recommends at least 4.

From the BCI website

To properly teach the courses minimum training standard, in person training consisting of a minimum of 4 hours is recommended. This time frame should consist of course related material not to include extra services such as fingerprinting, photos, etc.
    My classes at 8 hr classes, my law and legal issues are 3 hours by themself. If a student is going to get in trouble is going to be because of a lack of knowledge in the legal issues.

But at least your website states that its the best CCW class in Utah.

When you stop teaching for the money and teach for the benefit of your student, then you'll be doing it for the right reason.

I would like to say mine is the best class in Utah but since I am a current police officer (30+ years) with only 15+ years of teaching experience. I would not even consider making that statement, but yeah what do I know.

Good luck with your venture, Make lots o money.

Dan

AZ & UT CCW Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle & Shotgun Instructor, NRA SRO, AZ & UT POST Handgun Instructor, AZ POST Rifle, Shotgun, High Risk Vehicle Stop Instructor, H&K SWAT Instructor school, Surefire Low Light Instructor, High Risk Entry Instructor, Tactical Tracking Instructor, Less Lethal Instructor, Sig Sauer & Colt 1911 Certified Armor, SWAT Commander
    "Arms in the hands of individual citizens may be used at individual discretion..in private self defense." John Adams

Can I get in on that Valentines Day deal?

A Utah Concealed Firearm Permit class is not supposed to be "general firearms training course".
    You are there to verify a few requirements that the State has laid out.
    If you wish to further educate someone about firearms, I think you should offer that as additional training.
    I see no need to confuse an applicant with Utah law and instructor opinion.

Utah code requires an applicant to show... (d) evidence of general familiarity with the types of firearms to be concealed as defined in Subsection (7).

(7) (a) General familiarity with the types of firearms to be concealed includes training in:
    (i) the safe loading, unloading, storage, and carrying of the types of firearms to be concealed; and
    (ii) current laws defining lawful use of a firearm by a private citizen, including lawful self-defense, use of force by a private citizen, including use of deadly force, transportation, and concealment.

That's it. All of the other requirements will be verified by the State.
    These training requirements are less strict that what they were just a few years ago, which I believe to be a good thing.
    The State of Utah is slowly realizing that criminalizing concealed carry is useless, and hopefully we will adopt an "Alaska Style" carry next year.
    I have heard from two legislators so far that are working towards this goal. I urge you to support them if they do introduce a bill.

If you want to be in the business of selling training, then I say "good for you!"
    But in all reality, I see no need to include additional training that the State has not required.

Sell it separately, you might make some more money.
    Kevin Jensen
    Utah State Researcher,
    www.opencarry.org

You DID ask for opinions. This is a joke, right? That's 5 minutes and 28 seconds of my life I'll never get back, sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by CarryUtah View Post
    Me and another instructor in my group just posted this new video on our site about Utah Concealed Carry Classes. What do you guys think?

YouTube - Utah Concealed Carry Classes from CarryUtah.com
    It's not 'Me and another instructor'...it's 'Another instructor and I' (nominative case)...if in doubt, take "and another instructor in my group"out of the sentence.
    I'm just sayin'...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Fair Enough

I appreciate your feedback. I value the opinion of people who as far as I can tell do know what they are talking about and so for that thank you.

As a fair reply I would like to add that where we say things like the best instructors and best classes in the state we are obviously advertising and yes it is our hope to do a good business. Of course we cannot know or guarantee that we have the best class or instructors in the state.

That having been said I don't think its super fair for you to pass judgement on us or our instruction. BCI does suggest a 4 hour class but Doug Anderson and Jeff Dunn who are in charge of concealed weapon instruction have both sat through my 3 and 1/2 hour class and feel strongly that we do a very good job at explaining the laws and covering all the required instruction in a clear and concise manner.

The instruction is general in nature as I think you would agree its far from specific in any degree. I agree 100% that anyone committed to carrying a firearm should get some time on the range and some additional training but we aren't the only people around teaching a class without range time and in fact I'd say the majority don't. We do offer additional training on the range to our students who request it after the class and yes we do have a degree of experience that may not match many of you but if we went shooting together I'm sure you would not be soo quick to judge.

As to the comments about our experience you are right that in many ways we do not have the years of experience that many instructors bring. I took the class from an ex-cop and enjoyed my experience but I do truly believe that there is a difference in perspective from an instructor with a law enforcement background vs an instructor without any military etc.

I'm sure that Clark Aposhian and Steve Beckstead would agree with me since they are generally acclaimed as the best instructors in the area and neither have law enforcement experience. I'm not trying to discredit those from that background but simply point out the difference.

When its all said and done you are right that the video is meant to be an advertisement and not an informative video. We do value business and yes we even intend to profit from our labor. But please don't pass judgement so quickly as to claim that we do not value the instruction or the importance of how it is taught and to whom it is taught. I wouldn't make claims against any of you or your methods unless I witnessed them in person.

Thanks for the compliments on the website by the way!

Jacob Paulsen
    Jacob S Paulsen

VIP Member
    I tried to watch the entire video. I had to turn it off at about the 3 minute mark. I doubt very many people are going to take the time to watch the entire video. The cutting away, almost mid sentence, was annoying. Good luck with your class.
    Prepare for the worst and hope it never happens

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    I mean this to be CONSTRUCTIVE criticism. The guy in the tie could stand to tuck the shirt better, wear the tie so that it goes down to the beltline. Try not to talk with your hands as much. The second guy just sounds too defensive. Don't spend so much time telling us how most people will not actually carry. This is a carry course. Tell us about what we will learn at the class. Don't put down other classes, sell us on the merits of your class. Honestly, you both look pretty young and that will just plain hurt you with potential customers that are older than you. Also, I don't think it was a plus to put down instructors with LE experience, there is just no upside to doing that.
    Some video editing suggestions. For a promo video, this is a little long. Get it down to three minutes tops. There were several points where it was redundant. Try getting some other footage in there, perhaps some scenes from a real class, some range footage, or even a mocked-up defensive situation (all with voice-over).
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

Just to comment on the length of the UT course...

Having experienced a 6+ hour UT course myself, 2 hrs. would have been more than sufficient.

Your 3 1/2 hr. course length sounds fine to me!

When I first read the comments, I thought wow, these guys are being rough. Then I watched the video. No, they are pretty much on the spot. I don't know about the regs in Utah about class time, etc. so I won't comment on that. However, since you wanted feedback, here's what I would suggest (Some of which has already been suggested).

1.) The length is too long.
    2.) Your talking points are all over the place, from talking down LE instructors, to the low numbers of people who carry after taking the course. Advertise...this means push your product. Don't put down other courses, and explain WHY I need to attend your class. You told me a number of reasons why I shouldn't.
    3.) Attire. Both of you guys are dressed like you are going to an 8th grade formal. Matching T-shirts with your business logo, etc. would be better. You need to project yourselves as instructors. All I get from watching you two is that you seem to be two amateur instructors with a video camera with no prior teaching experience.
    4.) Location. Pretty, yes, but it tells me NOTHING about your classes. Show footage of you teaching. Show footage of range shooting. Sitting in front of foliage tells me nothing, other than it looks bright outside. Are you teaching the class outdoors? That's the impression your location gives.
    5.) Editing. The transitions are terrible. Don't cut mid-sentence for the other guy to pick it up. It's confusing and annoying, and those two things will make people close your video and start looking for Mentos/Diet Coke explosions, which would be far more entertaining.

If I was looking at taking a CCW course in Utah, and ran across your video, I'd keep searching. Honestly, that video will probably hurt your business more than if you didn't have it at all. I know the criticism might hurt, but it's honest. If you can fix the problems, and take another shot at it, you will be further ahead of the game than if you let this video run online any longer.
    Sejune
    Glock 30 .45
    Springfield XD 9

I'll comment on the video too...

In agreement with the above poster, the length may be a little long. Maybe something more in the 3 min. range would suffice.

The sound quality is slightly lacking. It's hard to hear the what is being said. - This may be due to my little laptop speakers though.

I also agree about "not" saying anything negative about other instructors, but just mention some positives regarding your own instructors.

The uniform idea may be a good idea, but it might have too much of a militant look and/or feel to it. - Don't know..?

5 Stars / "A" for effort!

Good points!!!

Quote Originally Posted by PastorPack View Post
    I mean this to be CONSTRUCTIVE criticism. The guy in the tie could stand to tuck the shirt better, wear the tie so that it goes down to the beltline. Try not to talk with your hands as much. The second guy just sounds too defensive. Don't spend so much time telling us how most people will not actually carry. This is a carry course. Tell us about what we will learn at the class. Don't put down other classes, sell us on the merits of your class. Honestly, you both look pretty young and that will just plain hurt you with potential customers that are older than you. Also, I don't think it was a plus to put down instructors with LE experience, there is just no upside to doing that.
    Some video editing suggestions. For a promo video, this is a little long. Get it down to three minutes tops. There were several points where it was redundant. Try getting some other footage in there, perhaps some scenes from a real class, some range footage, or even a mocked-up defensive situation (all with voice-over).
    This is great feedback. I agree. We didn't plan very well and I think we will redo it keeping all of that in mind!
    Jacob S Paulsen

Appreciated.

So here are some of the key points I'm taking from everyone's comments.

1. Background... Nice but has nothing to do with the content. Maybe a gun range...
    2. Clothing... We were going for a business casual type look. Maybe something more uniforms like would be better
    3. We should have focused on promoting our course and not on putting down the courses of other. (I'm now feeling really bad about that by the way)
    4. Length. 3 minutes tops would be best. This just went on too long.
    5. Sound quality. Background noise and bad equipment didn't help.
    6. Age. Filming a video with our two youngest instructors may not produce the right confidence in people.
    7. Choppiness... Better transitions between each segment would have helped the overall quality.
    8. Content. Maybe some clips from an actual class or feedback from a student or two would help add credibility and variety.

This is really valuable feedback. It will make for a much higher quality job in the future.

Anything else?
    Jacob S Paulsen

Video Deleted

Everyone upon hearing your feedback I have decided to delete the video for now. We will do a better job in the future and I will probably seek your feedback when we get it up.

Thanks!

Jacob
    Jacob S Paulsen

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links