Condition Orange at CCW class today!

This is a discussion on Condition Orange at CCW class today! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Took my CCW class today. Lots of folks who looked unfamiliar with their guns. The class had 33 people in it, so we had to ...

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Condition Orange at CCW class today!

Condition Orange at CCW class today!

Took my CCW class today. Lots of folks who looked unfamiliar with their guns. The class had 33 people in it, so we had to wait our turn to qualify. We were gathered in a small room looking through the glass at the range area when I noticed 2 young ladies fidgeting with a semi-automatic. One of them was holding it, while the other attempted to show her how it worked. I was swept by the muzzle twice in quick succession, and the 3rd time one lady was able to pull the slide back and the one holding the gun pulled the trigger! I told her in the most stern voice that I could muster "Young Lady, you just pointed that gun at me and pulled the trigger. If you cannot control the direction of the muzzle, you need to put it down!" I looked at the range officer, who was paying very little attention to us, and he just kinda shrugged. The 2 young ladies gave me dirty looks and muttered something under their breath. I just wanted to remind those here who have yet to take their class that they should be very aware of those around them at all times, but especially when surrounded by people with new guns and no clue as to their use. If I had been running the class, they would have left without a certificate today. Instead they cheated off of each others papers during the written test, and are out there somewhere armed and dangerous. Protect yourself at all times!
    " In theory, reality and theory are the same. In reality, they are not."

GLOCK G23, KAHR CW9, RUGER LCP, TAURUS PT92, TAURUS 689, MOSSY 500

NRA member

2. Remove Ads

think we are seeing more in those classes that should not be there.

Quote Originally Posted by jwilli2 View Post
    How else are they going to get the training to become a CCWer if they don't take the classes?
    9MMare likes this.

You missed out on a perfect opportunity to teach these 2 females the rules in a nice friendly manner. You even had a good reason for butting into their business (as they would see it).

It even coulda been fun and you coulda made a couple of nice friends.

But, sadly you didn't. What you did was enforce the stereotype that gun guys are obnoxious rude brutes.
    ntkb likes this.

One problem was the class size. A class of 33 is way to big for the instructor to keep an eye on.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldskoolfan View Post
    How else are they going to get the training to become a CCWer if they don't take the classes?
    Perhaps a test of basic firearms knowledge before they are eligible for the CCW class. If they don't pass, offer remedial training before the sign up. Just a thought.

Dave
    BaconHunter likes this.

Scary, no shortage of idiots who are clueless about guns and basic gun safety. I avoid indoor ranges like the plague and most other public ranges that will allow any fool to do their thing without supervision.

I don't consider it obnoxious to complain when someone points a gun at me and pulls the trigger, but you could be right. The instructor had just 5 minutes earlier told everyone that you never, ever, ever, point a gun at anything you are not willing to destroy. He was not as rude or brutish as I. His method didn't work. I hope mine did, and maybe they won't kill somebody, or themselves.

NRA member

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.

Whoa

Quote Originally Posted by jwilli2 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by BigBear View Post
    ....be very aware of those around them at all times, but especially when surrounded by people with new guns and no clue as to their use. If I had been running the class, they would have left without a certificate today. Instead they cheated off of each others papers during the written test, and are out there somewhere armed and dangerous. Protect yourself at all times!

Great ammo for the anti's; brilliant posts. [/sarcasm]
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Took my CCW class today. Lots of folks who looked unfamiliar with their guns. The class had 33 people in it, so we had to wait our turn to qualify. We were gathered in a small room looking through the glass at the range area when I noticed 2 young ladies fidgeting with a semi-automatic. One of them was holding it, while the other attempted to show her how it worked. I was swept by the muzzle twice in quick succession, and the 3rd time one lady was able to pull the slide back and the one holding the gun pulled the trigger! I told her in the most stern voice that I could muster "Young Lady, you just pointed that gun at me and pulled the trigger. If you cannot control the direction of the muzzle, you need to put it down!" I looked at the range officer, who was paying very little attention to us, and he just kinda shrugged. The 2 young ladies gave me dirty looks and muttered something under their breath. I just wanted to remind those here who have yet to take their class that they should be very aware of those around them at all times, but especially when surrounded by people with new guns and no clue as to their use. If I had been running the class, they would have left without a certificate today. Instead they cheated off of each others papers during the written test, and are out there somewhere armed and dangerous. Protect yourself at all times!
    I would have jumped on them the minute that muzzle was pointed in a direction other than down range. That range officer is a jackass and he should be terminated. He was not doing his job. You can pretty much tell who the green ones are and those people have to be watched with more scrutiny. You're lucky that nothing happened. You could have been shot. Where was the instructor? The first thing he should have done was find out in advance who were first time shooters. He could have taken them aside for more personal instruction. In fact, first time shooters should have to take a handgun safety course before taking CCW instruction. This is why I don't like large CCW classes.
    "[A]rms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine, Thoughts On Defensive War, 1775

I would think that those who make excuses for those who act in an unsafe and dangerous manner while handling firearms would be more likely to create "ammo" for the antis. I may have misjudged the intent of this forum. I respect everyone's right to arm themselves in order to protect themselves and their loved ones. I'm not going to defend those who act in a wreckless fashion just because they are on "my side". I'll make sure and run any future posts thru you first, bbqgrill, to make sure they pass your scrutiny.

NRA member

I would think that those who make excuses for those who act in an unsafe and dangerous manner while handling firearms would be more likely to create "ammo" for the antis. I may have misjudged the intent of this forum. I respect everyone's right to arm themselves in order to protect themselves and their loved ones. I'm not going to defend those who act in a wreckless fashion just because they are on "my side". I'll make sure and run any future posts thru you first, bbqgrill, to make sure they pass your scrutiny.
    There's no excuse for it.
    "[A]rms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine, Thoughts On Defensive War, 1775

Don't people take ccw classes to learn about guns? You can't buy any kind of gun in MA with out taking a class first.

I don't think you should have blamed the girls, the instructor is at fault, not them. And if you had said something when you were first swept, politely then you probably would have gotten further. Being rude doesn't help anything all they walked away from that situation with is "some jerk lectured me and treated me like a child when I was trying to LEARN something at my CCW class".

They probably forgot instantly what you were reprimanding them about because of the tone.

I feel bad for anyone that takes a class when the instructors are not more attentive. I will be forever grateful for the people that taught my class!

~Krockett

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.

You missed my point

I do not defend any unsafe action that jeopardizes others whether it is the use of an automobile, firearm or any other means. My point is that characterizing the class, instructors and process as "armed and dangerous" in a world wide forum shows complete lack of mature discretion. By no means do I want to censor the discussion or your comments I simply felt obligated to point out that you might consider a little fore thought to the implications of your comments. Sorry for the sarcasm in the previous post, just a little food for thought.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    Wow, I'm afraid to ask where here in NC you took this class, but I can 100% guarantee who is wasn't with! Our classes are taught by Ex-military and ex-LEO on a private police range, with a 1:2 instructor-to-student ratio for the CCW class. The Basic Pistol has a 1:2 ratio as well. Class is taught in the room with a FAKE PLASTIC GUN for illustration, and we have a rule that at least 2 people clear each weapon on the range. No live ammo allowed in the classroom, and no one charges a weapon on the range until we've done range safety and are given the all-clear. AT NO TIME is any student UNSUPERVISED WHILE CARRYING. Even during dryfire exercises, we stood on a line, 8 of us, with 4 instructors behind us, moving around so that each student was supervised -- despite the fact that each weapon was cleared and there wasn't any ammo even in the building with us!

33 students to one instructor and a shruggy R.O? That sounds like a very high degree of irresponsibility to me. Are they out to EDUCATE folks, to keep citizens safe, or are they motivated by the almighty dollar? From your description, this was clearly an accident waiting to happen! Glad it didn't, but the "almost" would have been too close for comfort to me.

If I'd seen 33 students and one instructor, I would have turned tail and walked out of there to find a different instruction school.
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Links