Strange threat management video at work...

This is a discussion on Strange threat management video at work... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I got an email from my corporate training group that I had to take a threat management training course. It was a video showing ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Strange threat management video at work...

Strange threat management video at work...

So I got an email from my corporate training group that I had to take a threat management training course.
    It was a video showing how to handle a situation where a disgruntled employee comes in and starts shooting.

They show a guy coming in with an AK 47.

Here are the things they said we should do:

Run out of the building.

Call 911 after you run out.

Hide under the table.

Hide in a room and shut off the lights.

If the killer confronts you, throw a flower pot at him or any available stationary.

Sacrifice yourself to save others by trying to overpower the gunman, take his weapon and shoot him so he doesn't kill others.
    They cited the example from Flight 93 that happened on 9/11

The company has a strict no firearms on property policy, they restrict firearms even in the car.

The video was really bad and would probably scare people more knowing they have no choice but to get killed or "overpower the BG".
    Vince K
    Aerospace Designer, Freemason, NRA member

2. Remove Ads

It always amazes me at the ways the corporate mind works. Sometimes I think prerequisites for working in HR is to forget everything you know. I'll almost bet the whole ordeal was put forth by the company's insurance carrier. Brilliant huh? And at what cost? A lot these large companies don't seem to find the need to hire actual security personnel. The facility I work at relies on a set of double glass doors and an electronic badge system. You should have seen the memo put out last year by our plant operations manager after someone found a couple of empty casings in a locker room. The memo was available to read from behind locked glass. I asked for a copy from the HR manager. Boy was that a mistake!

VIP Member
    Boy! I am really going to watch out the next time I walk in to an office with a lot of potted plants in it. Those people must be ready for anything!

I can get behind the first two items. But to hide under a table? Please!

Overpower the assailant? Wouldn't it be easier to shoot the BG if I had my own gun?

Now, someone kindly explain to me how throwing paper at the BG is going to help, please.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Road runner, the paper is like Chaff from a fighter jet - It blocks the view of the bad guy so he cant get radar lock on you while he is gunning your sorry butt down because the powers that be left you defensless. Great plan - throw paper and hide. Who thinks this crap up? seriously?
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

Out of curiosity how did the video show the BG initially entering the business? If it was in an open area evacuating the building makes to some degree. What if you are in meeting room with only one entrance? You are trapped in a meeting room with the BG.

I can see calling 911 after exiting the building. Makes perfect sense so far.

I suppose hiding under a table if you have no way of leaving the building as well. But if he's right there with you, he'll see you heading under that nice "safe" table! So much for a "safe" table.

I can also see hiding in a room and turning off the lights. But if he's going to go searching for victims he'll go to the room and turn the lights on. And, "voila", there you are hiding from the BG.

I'm sure throwing things at the BG will really keep him from shooting you. Somehow I see this only making him angrier and making you his next victim.

Let me get this straight, "Sacrifice yourself to save others by trying to overpower the gunman, take his weapon and shoot him so he doesn't kill others." I never realized that one of my job related duties was to be a hero to save the lives of my co-workers!

It never ceases to amaze me how corporate America comes up with some rather "interesting" approaches to dealing with violence in the workplace.

At work I carry my G26 in a "Smart Carry" holster. Even though I am employed as an "unarmed" guard I have to think of my own safety first & foremost. If it came right down to it, I have to protect my life under any circumstances.

By the way, I found out that one of my two contacts on the property I guard is also a CCW permit holder. It's amazing how you find people who the same interest. We just started talking and he told me he held a CCW permit from Nevada & Florida. He's a really cool guy about me carrying my G26 on the job. He totally understands under the circumstances.
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

You should send an email to HR that says, "since I'm not strong enough to lift up a flower pot and throw it at someone and knock them out, I'm just going to use my own firearm to stop the threat."

Start loading your desk with weighted flower pots, keep adding til there's hardly any workable space left. Tell everybody to watch out for you cause you're armed to the teeth and ready to sacrifice your plants and yourself for their well being. Then quit, find a new job with intelligent management (if there is such a thing) and live happily ever after.

Oh yeah, I forgot to add, don't put flowers in the pots. That will hinder your aerodynamics when thrown. Just collect empty weighted flower pots.
    "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar

A sheeple production......

RUN AND HIDE FILM WORKS.....
    HEAD IN THE SAND PRODUCTIONS.....
    TELL MY WIFE I LOVED HER, INC....
    Ok, enough, you get the point.
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

This sort of thing makes my eye twitch. At least that HR video could add, "And IF you have a weapon in your car go get it, come back and stop the assailant." I get the same feeling when I watch those commercials about the home-alarm systems, where bad guys break in a door, the alarm goes off, the homeowner runs...and picks up a phone first thing. The bad guys are already running off (is this realistic or what?). Where's any mention of a personal-defense firearm? Amazing.
    Last edited by Pinger; June 23rd, 2009 at 06:53 AM. Reason: Clarification
    The first rule of self-defense is to avoid the situation. The second rule is Train and Prepare.

Just because you have security guards doesn't mean you are secure. I have always found it laughable that the facility I work at stresses its a potential terrorist target and then I look at the unarmed old men and 20 years old 5'3" women who supposedly are going to protect it. They don't even have pepper spray, tasers or batons issued to them. I am almost positive that if someone drives up with a gun and puts it in their face they are going to do whatever they say. Apparently we are too cheap to hire armed guards but too paranoid to allow employees to legally carry.

Exclamation Reply

Quote Originally Posted by wolfshead View Post

The company has a strict no firearms on property policy, they restrict firearms even in the car.
    what they don't know, won't get you fired
    Glock 19 in a Crossbreed supertuck EDC

Ruger LCP W/ CT "the go anywhere gun" EDC

"ALWAYS carry!NEVERtell!" Thumper

Wow, it sounds to me like your employer wants to kill two birds with one stone - for lack of a better term, first to try and subdue the gunmen in question, second to have a workforce/payroll reduction disguised as a workplace violence event.....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Makes you wonder, but doesn't surprise me at all. This is liberal corporate thinking at it's best.

Would the makers of this video do all that they suggest if they were confronted with the same situation? Point a camera at the BG and hope that distracts him enough?

What if the assailant has a handgun or multiple ones that are concealed when walking into the place? Video guys didn't consider that scenario, did they?
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

This does beg the following question: Do injuries resulting from attempting to subdue a gunman with an AK-47 qualify you for a workman's compensation claim? lol Technically it was a work related injury.

Just a thought!
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

Quote Originally Posted by wolfshead View Post

The video was really bad and would probably scare people more knowing they have no choice but to get killed or "overpower the BG".
    Bring in a Chainsaw. When they ask why, tell them you can't have a gun, so you'll have to improvise. Ask what their policy on Axes is. In short, do EVERYTHING you can to make them look like asses for not allowing people to protect themselves. Also, ask what their financial incentives are to 'sacrifice yourself". I'd point to the CEO's office, and say "He's in there..."

The CEO is on his own.
    Guns don't kill people.
    Gaping wounds in vital organs do.
    ============
    NRA Life Member
    Colt M1911A1 / H&K USP45

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links