Do I have this right?

This is a discussion on Do I have this right? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'll be driving from Florida to Ohio next month. I'll be going through Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Virginia and West Virginia before I get ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do I have this right?

Do I have this right?

I'll be driving from Florida to Ohio next month. I'll be going through Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Virginia and West Virginia before I get to Ohio. My Florida permit is recognised in all states.

Georgia: Gun must be holster and no carry where they serve alcohol.

South Carolina: No carry where they serve alcohol.

North Carolina: No carry where they serve alcohol. No carry in rest area.

Virginia: Open carry where they serve alcohol.

West Virginia: No restrictions on restaurants?

Ohio: No carry where they serve alcohol. No loaded gun in glove box. Gun must be carried in car?

How close am I on these regulations???
    Tony

2. Remove Ads

I live in North Carolina and don't recall anything about not being able to carry at rest areas? We cannot carry in any form in places where alcohol is served for consumption.

In Georgia, no carry in a bar....restruants that serve are OK AS LONG AS you are not drinking.

Also Georgia is a Castle Doc. state.....your car is an extension of your home. http://georgiapacking.org/law.php can answer most Ga. questions you have.

.....and Welcome Aboard GlockGal!
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

It is no longer illeagal to carry in places that serve alcohol in GA. after HB89 last summer. You can carry in alcohol serving establishments as long as 51% of their earnings are from food. The only stipulation is a person carrying a gun in these places cannot drink.

Quote Originally Posted by GlockGal View Post
    I live in North Carolina and don't recall anything about not being able to carry at rest areas? We cannot carry in any form in places where alcohol is served for consumption.
    I guess that I was mistaken on that one!!
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by dam294 View Post
    It is no longer illeagal to carry in places that serve alcohol in GA. after HB89 last summer. You can carry in alcohol serving establishments as long as 51% of their earnings are from food. The only stipulation is a person carrying a gun in these places cannot drink.
    Almost like Florida. I don't drink when I'm carrying anyway, Just to be safe...
    Tony

I forgot to mention this. While I'm driving the gun will be holstered in the glove box. I think that Ohio is the only state that this is not allowed?
    Tony

In NC, carry IS allowed in rest areas, the only state-owned property where concealed carry is legal.

Also, carrying in glove box is considered COncealed carry and you must inform LEO of permit at beginning of interaction

I just got my ccw in ohio and i thought you were able to keep a loaded gun in a glove compartment or center council if you have your license. I checked to make sure and the line in the ohio concealed carry law booklet reads:

"The loaded handgun is securely encased by being stored in a closed, glove compartment or console, or in a case that is locked."

There are two other ways to carry a loaded handgun in the car that are mapped out on page 13 and 14 of that booklet:

http://www.ag.state.oh.us/le/prevent...9_ccw_book.pdf

You unfortunately were right about no carry in a place that has a class D liquor permit (sells for the purpose of consumption on property). There is a bill going through the state legislature that will hopefully change that.

hope this all helped

-spoz
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."-Thomas Jefferson

G19

Ohio, Gun can be carried on person or in any type of close-able container in car (other words can't be sitting in the open but can be in center console, glove box, brief case, cooler and if you really wanted to argue a zip lock bag, would not recommend though.) Can be loaded in any of these locations. On person carry is allowed anywhere but government buildings, schools, or if alcohol is served to be consumed on site. Open carry is also permitted in all these locations except for car. If you want more specifics Ohioans for concealed carry website has a ton of info.

VIP Member

Traveling alone?

Quote Originally Posted by Realleycat View Post
    I forgot to mention this. While I'm driving the gun will be holstered in the glove box. I think that Ohio is the only state that this is not allowed? [emphasize added]

Are you going to be in the vehicle alone?

If so OK.

If you will have someone else in the vehicle you might want to reconsider "holstered in the glove box" here in Virginia -- unless they also have a CHP. The issue is "Who has control/possession of the weapon?" It's a clear violation if you get out, however briefly, and the other person is still in the car with a concealed weapon in the glove box. Also, the fact that the glove box is more accessibly to the passenger than the driver could be a sticky point w/ the wrong LEO/judge.

OTOH, if it is in plain sight you and your passenger would be OK -- i.e., we're an Open Carry State.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

lol, the state laws can get confusing. Ohio it is oh to have it holstered or un-holstered in the glove box but you can not openly be carrying it in the car even though we are an open carry state. however you can conceal carry on your person in the car. The part about other people in the car while you are not would apply in Ohio too so make sure you are the last to get out of the car. I have not heard of anyone having issues with this or the passenger thing but it doesn't mean it can't happen. The other really really really (am I stressing this enough) important thing about Ohio is informing the police officer immediately that you are a permit holder and are carrying. Most people give advice of just showing your permit and license at the same time. There has been cases where the permit holder was accused of failure to inform by using this technique. This can also get tricky with officers who want to give you orders right away without you saying anything until after you comply... so be insistent that you must speak if you find yourself in this situation. It has been generally accepted that starting off with "officer I am required by law to inform you....."

Quote Originally Posted by tflhndn View Post
    In NC, carry IS allowed in rest areas, the only state-owned property where concealed carry is legal.

Also, carrying in glove box is considered COncealed carry and you must inform LEO of permit at beginning of interaction

Oh Yes. I forgot about informing LEO!!! In Florida you don't have to..
    Tony

The gun would be in the glove box while driving, but holstered when I get out of the vehicle. I don't have a good driving holster and after several hundred miles it get's to be a pain in the Side!!!
    Tony

Another point about Ohio--if it is on your person, it must be in a holster. You cannot just tuck it in you waist band or stick it in a pocket. Pocket holsters are ok though--they are "holsters". The best thing to do is go to the site previously posted by another Ohioan and read all the info about Ohio carry laws. Have a good and safe trip.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links