First time i had to draw my gun

This is a discussion on First time i had to draw my gun within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Was sleeping Monday night when around 0145 my car alarm goes off (there's been a rash of breakins in my area). I jump up grab ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First time i had to draw my gun

Was sleeping Monday night when around 0145 my car alarm goes off (there's been a rash of breakins in my area).
    I jump up grab my gun from my night stand and run into the kitchen where I find my son standing with his gun.I told him to wait by the
    Sidedoor while went out the back. We ended up at the truck at the same time and saw the person running down the street. I told the wife to
    call 911 and believe or not they were flying up my street about 4-5min later.
    One stopped to see witch way the guy went and if I could describe the person all he said about my gun
    was to ask if it was loaded to keep pointed at the ground. Never tried to take it or ask me to Put it away.

Good experience with LEO just wish I could have caught the guy.
    I just hate a thief!
    Courage is knowing what not to fear. Plato

awsome deal bud. glad things worked out for u. sorry to hear about your car.

He (the LEO) really had no reason to take your gun, and his focus was on the BG.
    Sounds like it worked out well...at least the dirtbag didn't get into your car.
    Your car alarm did it's job.

The dirtbag will eventually get caught, greed for more is always their downfall. It may take many months, but he'll be nabbed.

Did the cops stop back to chat further with you?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    You know, for a minute, I was envisioning your son being littler, maybe around 7, and his gun was a cap gun. I'm pretty sure I'm wrong

Anyways, nice job keeping your head on! I agree...that guy will get caught sooner rather than later. They always do.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

Here in NC, I can't go outside and shoot a retreating thief with my handgun - personal feelings aside. However, I don't see where it says I must go outside unarmed. When they're running away, you have to let them go.

When the story ends with a potential thief running away to be pursued by the cops, and no one gets shot, it's a good outcome.

Glad your vehicle was ok, all in all, and good for the LEO also.. We're all on the same side.
    --I'M PROUD TO HAVE THE ABILITY TO BEAR ARMS--

Glock27/ KaBar TDI/ MTAC Holster. I have more also, but this combination works well..

My sons 19 and has been around guns his whole life. Lol could see a kid in pampers and a cap gun
    backing me up. Yeah they road by yesterday and stop to talk said I wasn't the first one in the
    Area and the were stepping up patrols. Well see.
    Courage is knowing what not to fear. Plato

VIP Member
    I didn’t take from the OP that he would have engaged the BG with his gun. Personally, I wouldn’t shoot a person for stealing my property although I would protect my home from any deliberate threat.
    Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    I didn’t take from the OP that he would have engaged the BG with his gun. Personally, I wouldn’t shoot a person for stealing my property although I would protect my home from any deliberate threat.
    Regards,
    I agree for the most part. If he is in the house stealing, it is fair game. As for being out in my driveway, I would bring a gun, but I would yell at him first to get him to stop and drop the stuff. If he came at me then force would be used, otherwise let him run. Atleast he knows that this house is armed.

As for the son... I would have made him stay inside, protect family, and do not fire unless the man is inside the house. I wouldnt want my son to be the one pulling the trigger on a guy that is outside of the house. That could make for a mark on his records at a young age.

Either way, it ended well for you. Congrats

I'm curious as to the happenings where the LEO came on the scene. Unless he personally knows you, how did he identify you from the BG. What prevented him from drawing on you for his own safety?
    ...we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain—that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom—and that government : of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.
    -Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Kmank View Post
    I'm curious as to the happenings where the LEO came on the scene. Unless he personally knows you, how did he identify you from the BG. What prevented him from drawing on you for his own safety?
    That's why I keep my Boeing badge on me at all times....

just kidding!
    Vince K
    Aerospace Designer, Freemason, NRA member

Just a little nit-picking as to the title ...

Technically, you did not draw your weapon; it was not concealed (or even in open view) on your person. You took it with you in your hand when you went outside.

With all due respect, I am not sure running outside with no idea of what, or who, you were up against was a smart move, but I do understand the impulse to do so.

I'm happy nothing unpleasant ensued once you were outside.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Once you call 911 you would be better served staying in one location, preferably inside behind locked doors.

You have declared the areana to the warriors once you make that call. If you step outside, or go "searching" through your house you start to do a pretty good imitation of a badguy.

In short, call 911 and stay put. If you had been shot by that police officer it would be of your own doing. You called them, and then went to play in their sandbox. It stopped being your sandbox the second you made that 911 call.

I'm glad this worked out for you, this time. Next time you may not be so lucky. Another thing to consider, when you both went outside who was inside protecting the other innocents inside the domicile? Don't think you can "handle" it, as graveyards are full of people that thought they could "handle" it.

I'm glad it worked out for you. Next time you may not be so lucky.

Biker
    Last edited by BikerRN; June 24th, 2009 at 04:30 PM. Reason: typo

Good deal! Regarding not shooting someone for stealing property.. If I catch you stealing from my home or vehicle.

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Sounds like a good outcome to me. You still have a car. BG got a workout. Cops got a lead.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links