History of Florida's concealed carry law?

This is a discussion on History of Florida's concealed carry law? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been researching the history of "shall issue" carry laws online lately and it seems like a lot of states started changing their carry laws ...

Thread: History of Florida's concealed carry law?

History of Florida's concealed carry law?

I've been researching the history of "shall issue" carry laws online lately and it seems like a lot of states started changing their carry laws around the same time.

I was also interested in the history of Florida's concealed carry laws.
    I know that Florida became a "shall issue" state in 1987,but prior to this did Florida have any type of concealed carry licensing in effect? Were they a discretionary issue state prior to this,was it difficult for law abiding Floridians to carry concealed handguns before the law change in 1987?

I know this may seem lame to some here but I've always enjoyed reading up on things like this,thanks for any help.
    Snub nose revolvers,the original concealed carry guns.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    In 1985 I believe Florida was an open carry state, but when they removed that from the law, they suddenly had a lot of irate people and they added the CC laws.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

They were discretionary like NY and CA. The local police chiefs had almost unlimited power to decide who carried(legally) and who didn't.
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

Try Googling Marian Hammer (not sure of spelling).
    She's the lady who was a big force behind the law.
    I believe she is still the FL "Rep" for the NRA.
    " Keep On Packin' On The Bimah"

She is the head of Unified Sportsmen of Florida as well. If you are not a member, you should be, whether you hunt or not, becuase they are THE pro-gun group in Tallahassee.

I once had a politician in Fl say to me that if the issue is guns, Marion Hammer is who they go to first.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

thanks guys

mkh
    Also ask your question here - Florida Concealed Carry Forum

Current law came into effect in 1987..........original licensing law (applied to both handguns and repeating rifles....smoothbore guns and single shot rifles were not even mentioned!) enacted in 1894..........First law was so drawn as to be applicable in ONLY the county in which the license was issued.....Licenses were issued by the various County Commissions and one had to post at 100.00 cash or surety bond.....unlawful carriage was until the '87 law only a misdemeanor......Concealed carry was not permitted prior to the early '70s when the original law was modified somewhat to permit that method, but still was only good in the specific County in which it was issued.

As you can imagine, some of the more urban Countys refused or really dragged their feet and tried to discourage applications from other than the 'influential' betters in our society!

Insofar as the discretionary issue goes, a man was denied a license in Sarasota Co. in the early '70's and appealed the denial to the Fla. Supreme Ct...........that Court stated clearly that carriage was a right and guaranteed by the Constitution of Florida, and that the various Commissions MUST issue. Believe the Judge writing the finding was then Chief Justice England.

Open carry was legitimized less any license with the passage of the '87 act that required licensing only for CCW..........the press went crazy...........helped along by a bunch of fools that insisted on packing fast draw rigs in downtown Miami.............Janet Reno, later of Waco and Ruby Ridge fame, was then SA in that circuit.........she jumped on the bandwagon and along with an horrendous cacophony of NY press types managed to scare our gutsy Florida legislature into outlawing OC...........

That's a quick and dirty outline, but suffice it to say that the Florida Police Chief's Assn, the Fla. Sheriff's Assn strongly supported the '87 law and in truth were never consulted on the OC issue to the best of my knowledge....and I was a member of the former during that period.

Senior Member Array InspectorGadget's Avatar
    Thanks,
    I have heard bits and pieces but never had a decent layout of what happened.
    Colt 1911 New Agent, CTLaser

You do not work for them, they work for you.
    Senators http://senate.gov/general/contact_in...nators_cfm.cfm
    Congressmen http://www.house.gov/house/MemberWWW_by_State.shtml

thanks tghis is exactly what I was looking for. Makes me think maybe someday we can get the other states turned around on this so law abiding gun owners there can legally carry to protect themselves.

Links