Almost drew gun today, Did spray mace (kinda long)

This is a discussion on Almost drew gun today, Did spray mace (kinda long) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The set up: Horribly stressful day. Needed to get outside and get some much needed exercise and destress. I just got home after one of ...

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Almost drew gun today, Did spray mace (kinda long)

Angry Almost drew gun today, Did spray mace (kinda long)

The set up: Horribly stressful day. Needed to get outside and get some much needed exercise and destress. I just got home after one of my criminal justice classes and strapped on the WT Instructor's Belt and the Kelt Tec P-11. With mace in hand I embark on my brisk walk. I made it 1/4 mile and it happened. A man is taking his kid out of his car and had 2 boxer dogs next to him in his driveway. Boxer one sees me and bolts at top speed right for me. I start yelling "Get your dog, get your dog!" When the dog was about five feet from me I start macing. The owner yells "He won't bite you". I'm not taking that chance. The dog skids to a stop, face coated in mace and runs back to the house. I take a few steps in the direction I was walking and boxer two, about 3/4 grown, bolts towards me. Just before he gets to me I mace him down left handed. He doesn't stop at first so I lifted my shirt and covered my pistol in case I had to draw. The guy started screaming at me"What the H is wrong with you he is just a puppy he isn't going to hurt you, this is ridiculous!". I didn't want to aggravate him but I did tell him that his dogs left his property and made an aggressive move on me, there is a leash law in Michigan. He then told me to get walking and get the H outta there.
    Did I mention how much I HATE living out here and I got the mace after being approached by over 16 aggressive dogs in 3 1/2 years. I called the police because I did touch my weapon and I wanted to cover my buttocks. The Sheriffs Deputy that came out to my house told me that he didn't need to see my I.D. or my Concealed Pistol License. He met me at my house. He was very nice, but since he knows the family that owns the dog I seriously doubt they will be ticketed for violating the leash law. He suggested I keep carrying the mace but then said he probably wouldn't walk with the gun. I just told him I had a permit and don't necessarily carry the gun for dogs. Good experience with LEO and usual but terrible experience with my neighbors as usual.
    Last edited by Captain Crunch; June 25th, 2009 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Language workarounds.
    Kel-Tec P-11, Supertuck Deluxe, Wilderness Tactical Original Instructor's Belt

2. Remove Ads

What???? He said to NOT carry when you was walking??? That is strange I would say,. I've never known an LEO to suggest that at all,. Hmmmm

DrJ
    Agree with what you did. It's the dog owner's responsibility to control his dogs (and I am a dog owner).

DrJ

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    I bet those dogs think twice before charging someone on the sidewalk.

I have dogs - they stay in my yard and don't harasse people walking down the street. If one of them did and someone maced 'em, I'd
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

Some dog owners should be more responsible.

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    I think you were right in macing the dogs. We have a 2 year old Boxer. Although most do not attack,you never know. Bottom line is he should have leashed his dogs until he got them inside or in the fence. There are several Boxers in my neighborhood. The other day, a Boxer that is usually inside surprised me. We were walking our dogs on leash.I looked up to see a 7 year old-90 lb boxer 10 feet away! The owner,standing 50 ft away,told the dog to come inside. I am glad this dog went in because he is huge.

When all is said and done, it's the owner who deserves to be maced. I used to carry a a squirt gun with a mixture of ammonia and water as a dog repellent when bicycling. I used it once. On a Dobe whose owner said he wouldn't hurt me. The dog's ears were back, teeth showing and I wasn't taking any chances. I just wish the I could have squirted the owner.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

I cant stand irresponsible dog owners. I love dogs. I have a pit and a rottie. I also understand that not everyone loves them, likes them, or wants to be charged by them even though they wouldnt bite anybody. Them just running up to you can be scary if you didnt know their intentions. Good job on the spraying. Ive heard it may not work on dogs but seems to in this case. If the owner doesnt want his dogs maced keep them in his yard.

VIP Member
    This is why postal carriers have mace/dog repellant. Even the kindest most loving family pet can be vicious when "protecting" its territory or packmates (owners). It is an instictive reaction. That being said, often the "attack" is bluff and bluster on the dog's part. The problem is that you never know which it is.

Keep the mace handy.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    If they don't want to play with the big (2-legged) dog, they need to stay on the porch. Good job.
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

VIP Member
    I carry when I walk my two dogs since most people in my neighborhood donít follow the leash law. Itís a real problem and there are a couple idiots that have Pit Bulls. Frankly, I wouldnít hesitate to shoot if Iím attacked. The OC is a much better idea and Iím still waiting for my dealer to restock the Kimber device. The local college purchased their entire inventory for their female students.

As for shooting in the neighborhood, I agree with the deputy if he was concerned of collateral damage from your firearm. Based on your words, it didn't sound as though he was ordering you, but rather suggesting an alternative.
    Regards,
    ďMonsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.Ē
    ~ Stephen King

I think you over reacted to a couple of excited puppies.

Quote Originally Posted by highoctane View Post
    I cant stand irresponsible dog owners. I love dogs. I have a pit and a rottie. I also understand that not everyone loves them, likes them, or wants to be charged by them even though they wouldnt bite anybody. Them just running up to you can be scary if you didnt know their intentions. Good job on the spraying. Ive heard it may not work on dogs but seems to in this case. If the owner doesnt want his dogs maced keep them in his yard.
    My wife and I have a pitbull and rottie. We stopped walkign them with us because too many dogs were approaching us with bad intentions. Our dogs would posture up and take action against them trying to protect themselves and us. It made it look like WE owned aggressive dogs. (Because they are aggressive breeds by nature right grrrrr) So it is just me and my mace. No wife, no pets, and no daughter in the stroller.

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Fox View Post
    I think you over reacted to a couple of excited puppies.
    Hopfully this was sarcasm, because it made me smile when I read it. They sure looked excited. But I couldn't tell if they were excited because they were being territorial or they what. Either way, dog off leash, running at me, gets the mace. If it latched onto me it gets the gun. I certainly would hate to do it, it is the owner's fault, but I have a family to go home to.

It's unfortunate that sometimes the animal is smarter than the owner.
    At least you kept your head and the dogs will get over it with a lesson learned.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Links