How much training do you do?

This is a discussion on How much training do you do? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I live in the country and I carry around my property most of the time. I can draw and dry fire over and over and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much training do you do?

I live in the country and I carry around my property most of the time. I can draw and dry fire over and over and I practice with and without my laser sites. I try to practice tactical shooting at least twice a week, sometimes with my carry guns and sometimes with a Ruger Mark II, just to save on ammo. I spend way too much time on forums trying to learn and reflect on others information. This is after carrying a weapon for 16 years as part of my job and becoming a NRA instructor. Sometimes I still don't think this is enough. How much is enough, how much do you train?

Distinguished Member Array mathewsman's Avatar
    i like to practice draw a lot when i am doing nothing or at my parents house they live in the country and thats where my shooting range is.
    NRA sence 2003 Colt defender Taurus .357 mag
    Taurus tcp x box gamer tag mathewsman

How much is enough depends on who you're up against I guess. As long as your a better than the enemy, your good enough. Preferably a lot better and a bit of luck don't hurt either.

Problem is, you never know how good the enemy will be.

I practice as much as I can find the time and money for ammo and hope for the best.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

I don't go to the range as much as I should go, but...I'll be in an advanced SD handgun class in Aug, and a Threat Focused Shooting class in Sept.
    I think that training is very important to survive in the real world, but nothing can match the adrenaline flow of an actual 'event'...hope it never happens.

I have purchased the ammo ahead of time (lots of it in 2007/early 2008) so it's not so costly...that's my plan.

Stay armed...train when you can...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I don't go to the range on my own much in the summer but go once every two weeks in the winter. I just target shoot from behind the bench.

All year I shoot defensive pistol (IDPA style) every week.

When I am not teaching classes, I am on either at the indoor range, out door range, 3 times a week. Every other weekend I am doing force on force training also to include combative type training also.

I run my rifle just as much as my pistol.

I like to train and take a minimum of two classes with someone else every summer.
    You do not think the 9mm is effective? Then let me shoot at you.

VIP Member
    It isn't practice that makes perfect. It is perfect practice that makes perfect. One should eliminate training that exposes one unnecessarily or longer than necessary in a shootout. Training in safety sets muscle memory and determines what happens under stress.
    If you maintain your skills at presenting and squeezing with accuracy, and with clearing stoppage, then you probably have sufficient technique to prevail and should guard against diminishing returns, as above. There's no shame in minimal technique. An expert martial artist may prevail many times using the same minimal technique but using it well.
    This is not to include situational awareness, tactics, use of cover, but just muscle memory. And I hope to benefit from your posts in the future.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

VIP Member
    Not near enough! Yes, the economy, being disabled and some good old fashion lazy habits, seem to keep me grounded far too often. In fact, it's a thread like this that can help me realize that I've got to get off my tail and practice!
    Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    Not near enough! Yes, the economy, being disabled and some good old fashion lazy habits, seem to keep me grounded far too often. In fact, it's a thread like this that can help me realize that I've got to get off my tail and practice!
    Regards,
    Same here... Of course I just finished an advanced handgun class Sunday...
    "Deeds Not Words" - Motto of the USS Gettysburg
    NRA Life Member
    http://www.alioofficium.com/ (Personal Responsibility)

I try to shoot every week. At least twice a month. I practice drawing some at home. Not near enough. Im going to take a defensive pistol class in august.

I hit the range about 2 times a month minimum and practice draw at home as much possible (when family is not around).

Although, I don't feel it's truly enough and am looking into local SD classes.

200 rnds practice per mo. w/my EDC, minimum + USPSA & IDPA once per mo; probably 400 rnds per month total.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

twice a month. except for the last 2 months.
    saving for a XDm in .40
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

VIP Member
    A lot... and not enough! The older I get the faster I get slower too.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Shooting is important, but tactics are more important.

Study tactics is my advice. All the shooting in the world won't keep you alive if you just stand there and imitate a bullet sponge.

Biker

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links