GW Parkway in Virginia

This is a discussion on GW Parkway in Virginia within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi, for those of you in DC / Northern VA area: With it now being legal to carry in National Parks (edit: actually 2/2010), this ...

Thread: GW Parkway in Virginia

GW Parkway in Virginia

Hi, for those of you in DC / Northern VA area:

With it now being legal to carry in National Parks (edit: actually 2/2010), this is no longer a moot point:

I just checked google maps, and apparently a portion of GW parkway is considered DC land? This area is right above Reagan Airport - Lady Bird Johnson Park / that mini island that is one side of the Arlington Memorial Bridge.

Anyone know for sure? If it is true, I wonder if there is any risk for driving through while CCing... That land is I would assume patroled by Park Police, not DC police. Thoughts?

2. Remove Ads

If I remember and understand the law correctly, everything upto the VA shoreline of the Potomac is considered either DC or MD, depending on where you are. It is NOT the middle of the river as one might think. So Lady B island might well be considered DC if it's not in the park. Just my thoughts.

Park

The park is in fact in DC, not Virginia. Since the National Park Carry law is bound the to laws of the state that the park resides, Lady Bird Park would be a no carry area.
    I'm your worst nightmare, a liberal with a gun.

VIP Member

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Highpower View Post
    If I remember and understand the law correctly, everything upto the VA shoreline of the Potomac is considered either DC or MD, depending on where you are. It is NOT the middle of the river as one might think.
    Ah, I remember well the slots and beer on the piers extending across the low tide mark of the VA shoreline and into MD.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Quote Originally Posted by landofvanill View Post

With it now being legal to carry in National Parks (edit: actually 2/2010), this is no longer a moot point:

I just checked google maps, and apparently a portion of GW parkway is considered DC land? This area is right above Reagan Airport - Lady Bird Johnson Park / that mini island that is one side of the Arlington Memorial Bridge.

Anyone know for sure? If it is true, I wonder if there is any risk for driving through while CCing... That land is I would assume patroled by Park Police, not DC police. Thoughts?

Absolutely true. Lady Bird Johnson park is on Columbia island which is technically in DC because the the DC / Virginia line is demarcated by the high water mark of the Potomac on the Virgina side, which is not the east side of the river but actually the west side of the Pentagon lagoon adjacent to Boundary Channel drive next to the Pentagon. So the entire island and the GW parkway that runs along it is in DC. The rebuilt bridge just south of the island is the southern DC / VA demarc and there is a small inlet just north of the island that is the northere DC /VA demarc.

Do a Google map search on "Columbia Island DC" and it will show you the northern and southern demarcs.

How do I know this? I was a firefighter in DC for many years and my first assignment was the Engine Company 23 that is "First Due" to the marina on Columbia Island. Hope this helps.

Stu

Quote Originally Posted by landofvanill View Post

I forgot to mention that even though it is in DC, it is National Park property and under the jurisdiction of the United States Park Police, a Federal agency. DC does not allow concealed carry so even after the new law takes effect next February I don't believe any type of carry on that part of the GW Parkway would be allowed as it's DC.

I have the same problem as I live in Maryland and commute to Arlington via the GW every day. I get off the Parkway at the Arlington Memorial Bridge and use VA 110 by the Pentagon to avoid going across the Island at all.

Stu

Links