Northern Virginia Summer BrewFest

This is a discussion on Northern Virginia Summer BrewFest within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Northern Virginia Summer BrewFest Festival Info Can I carry? If so, must it be open or can it be concealed? The website for the festival ...

Thread: Northern Virginia Summer BrewFest

Northern Virginia Summer BrewFest

Northern Virginia Summer BrewFest Festival Info

Can I carry? If so, must it be open or can it be concealed?

The website for the festival does not mention weapons at all...what does Virginia State Law have to say about this?

The event is held at Morven Park in Leesburg. Their website only mentions that fishing and hunting are not allowed...

Help!

As an aside, let's please keep this thread on topic. No one want's to hear you get on your soap box about mixing guns and alcohol...we all know it's dangerous. For those who are interested, I am volunteering/unpaid working this event for a few hours with a few other people I work with at my restaurant...team bonding, fun stuff!

2. Remove Ads

I'll look for you there. Missus Mac and I are heading there this weekend. No carry for me as I will be imbibing.

foobar!

http://novabrewfest.com/summer/wp-co...space-2009.pdf

While our VA ABC permit specifies that beer sampling must stop 60 minutes before the official close, public safety precludes vehicles entering the site prior to the official closing. Your cooperation is appreciated.
    I would take this to mean they have a VABC permit to sell for on site consumption. ...

You have the following choices:
    1. Carry open
    2. Dont carry at all
    3. Take your chances and don't ask don't tell (NOT ADVISED)
    4. Don't go

"My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

VIP Member
    No person shall carry a concealed handgun onto the premises of any restaurant or club as defined in 4.1-100 for which a license to sell and serve alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption has been granted by the Virginia Alcoholic Beverage Control Board under Title 4.1 of the Code of Virginia; however, nothing herein shall prohibit any sworn law-enforcement officer from carrying a concealed handgun on the premises of such restaurant or club or any owner or event sponsor or his employees from carrying a concealed handgun while on duty at such restaurant or club if such person has a concealed handgun permit.
    I would say that while your working CC would be legal. If you hang around after your shift switching to OC would cover you.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    I would say that while your working CC would be legal. If you hang around after your shift switching to OC would cover you.
    heh...good call. I forgot about that "restaurant or club" part.

Carry on.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    foobar!

http://novabrewfest.com/summer/wp-co...space-2009.pdf

I would take this to mean they have a VABC permit to sell for on site consumption. ...

You have the following choices:
    1. Carry open
    2. Dont carry at all
    3. Take your chances and don't ask don't tell (NOT ADVISED)
    4. Don't go

They probably have a special event ABC Permit which does not preclude CC. VA law only excludes CC in restaurants and clubs and the event does not meet those definitions
    18.2-308 J3. No person shall carry a concealed handgun onto the premises of any restaurant or club as defined in 4.1-100 for which a license to sell and serve alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption has been granted by the Virginia Alcoholic Beverage Control Board under Title 4.1 of the Code of Virginia; however, nothing herein shall prohibit any sworn law-enforcement officer from carrying a concealed handgun on the premises of such restaurant or club or any owner or event sponsor or his employees from carrying a concealed handgun while on duty at such restaurant or club if such person has a concealed handgun permit.
    However I do not recommend the carry of firearms while imbibing in alcohol in a public area.
    I carry a bible and a gun. Your Point?

Vindiciae Contra Tyrannos (meaning: "A defence of liberty against tyrants")

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fireman836 View Post
    VA law only excludes CC in restaurants and clubs and the event does not meet those definitions

FWIIW:

4.1-100. Definitions.

As used in this title unless the context requires a different meaning:

"Club" means any private nonprofit corporation or association which is the owner, lessee, or occupant of an establishment operated solely for a national, social, patriotic, political, athletic, or other like purpose, but not for pecuniary gain, the advantages of which belong to all of the members. It also means the establishment so operated. A corporation or association shall not lose its status as a club because of the conduct of charitable gaming conducted pursuant to Article 1.1:1 ( 18.2-340.15 et seq.) of Chapter 8 of Title 18.2 in which nonmembers participate frequently or in large numbers, provided that no alcoholic beverages are served or consumed in the room where such charitable gaming is being conducted while such gaming is being conducted and that no alcoholic beverages are made available upon the premises to any person who is neither a member nor a bona fide guest of a member.

Any such corporation or association which has been declared exempt from federal and state income taxes as one which is not organized and operated for pecuniary gain or profit shall be deemed a nonprofit corporation or association.

"Member of a club" means (i) a person who maintains his membership in the club by the payment of monthly, quarterly, or annual dues in the manner established by the rules and regulations thereof or (ii) a person who is a member of a bona fide auxiliary, local chapter, or squadron composed of direct lineal descendants of a bona fide member, whether alive or deceased, of a national or international organization to which an individual lodge holding a club license is an authorized member in the same locality. It shall also mean a lifetime member whose financial contribution is not less than 10 times the annual dues of resident members of the club, the full amount of such contribution being paid in advance in a lump sum.

"Restaurant" means, for a beer, or wine and beer license or a limited mixed beverage restaurant license, any establishment provided with special space and accommodation, where, in consideration of payment, meals or other foods prepared on the premises are regularly sold.

"Restaurant" means, for a mixed beverage license other than a limited mixed beverage restaurant license, an established place of business (i) where meals with substantial entrees are regularly sold and (ii) which has adequate facilities and sufficient employees for cooking, preparing, and serving such meals for consumption at tables in dining areas on the premises, and includes establishments specializing in full course meals with a single substantial entree.

OTOH, there are other places (in addition to special events) that can be licensed.

4.1-100. Definitions.

As used in this title unless the context requires a different meaning:

"Bed and breakfast establishment" means any establishment (i) having no more than 15 bedrooms; (ii) offering to the public, for compensation, transitory lodging or sleeping accommodations; and (iii) offering at least one meal per day, which may but need not be breakfast, to each person to whom overnight lodging is provided.

"Canal boat operator" means any nonprofit organization that operates tourism-oriented canal boats for recreational purposes on waterways declared nonnavigable by the United States Congress pursuant to 33 U.S.C. 59ii.

"Day spa" means any commercial establishment that offers to the public both massage therapy, performed by persons certified in accordance with 54.1-3029, and barbering or cosmetology services performed by persons licensed in accordance with Chapter 7 ( 54.1-700 et seq.) of Title 54.1.

"Designated area" means a room or area approved by the Board for on-premises licensees.

"Gourmet brewing shop" means an establishment which sells to persons to whom wine or beer may lawfully be sold, ingredients for making wine or brewing beer, including packaging, and rents to such persons facilities for manufacturing, fermenting and bottling such wine or beer.

"Resort complex" means a facility (i) with a hotel owning year-round sports and recreational facilities located contiguously on the same property or (ii) owned by a nonstock, nonprofit, taxable corporation with voluntary membership which, as its primary function, makes available golf, ski and other recreational facilities both to its members and the general public. The hotel or corporation shall have a minimum of 140 private guest rooms or dwelling units contained on not less than 50 acres. The Board may consider the purpose, characteristics, and operation of the applicant establishment in determining whether it shall be considered as a resort complex. All other pertinent qualifications established by the Board for a hotel operation shall be observed by such licensee.

OTOH the park is not a public owned park (rather owned by The Westmoreland Davis Memorial Foundation, Inc.). So, they can ban, if they want to.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Links