Defensive Carry banner

Harris Co, TX Residents and Former Residents

1K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  chepo06 
#1 ·
I am currently holding at 109 days for my CHL. I just spoke to a DPS rep and my hold up is my Harris Co. background check. I have not lived in Harris Co sinse 1994! Have any of you experienced excessive delays because of the HC bg check?

#2 ·
I haven't personally, but that has been a common problem for sometime now. Check out this site:

TexasCHLforum.com

There's a section called "The Waiting Room", a lot of which are threads for Texas CHL applicants in various submission months (Feb, Mar, April, etc.) who are waiting on their plastic. However, there is one thread titled "Harris County Applicants", if that tells you anything about the backlog there. Pretty bad hold up from what I hear.

#3 ·
I am now more than 120 days because of Harris County background check. Given that CHL is a fee sponsored DPS activity and these county based background checks are not required by statute, there is really no excuse for not using the required resources to meet the statutory requirements.

Just my $0.02

#5 ·
It's pretty lame, I agree. I can walk into a gun shop, and buy a handgun, and be out of the store within 15-20 minutes from start to finish. They do the background check over the phone. You'd think the CHL's could be handled the same way. You already let me buy the gun, let me have the license to carry it. :)

#6 ·
135 days for me today Mr. Ernie :) I would suggest doing what I do, work, come home, go jetski, wakeboard or fishing.....and just forget about the license, it's going to be a while :)

To add insult to injury my wife and her mom bent the prop on the boat yesterday while I was at work.....so, there goes wakeboarding and fishing for me, time to go jetskiing :)

BE PATIENT GRASSHOPPER :)

#8 ·
Harris County, especially the Sheriff's dept. (my former agency) has been underfunded and understaffed for more then 30 years. I'm sure they have no more than one person doing background checks for CHL's. The county commissioner's give the budgets to the constables so they can have their own personal police forces.

#9 ·
FYI......Just got the message..."Application Completed - license issued or certificate active" online! Today makes it 162 days. How long has it been for you now Ernie?? Now we'll see how long it takes to get me the plastic here in Willis :)

#10 ·
Ernie, you've posted enough buddy, and with the same question every time. Mine took 150 days (also Willis), but our area is served by the Houston (SE Texas region) DPS background checks. And they are backed up since the hurricane.

You can call DPS, but please be polite, since they get lots of calls from people who want their licenses. I don't blame you, but be polite, write letters, make polite calls, and it still probably won't help too much. They are working, and your license will come.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.