Pistol Permit requirments in NC??

This is a discussion on Pistol Permit requirments in NC?? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Here's my situation: Im in the Marine Corps stationed in NC but as far as the government is concerned Im a resident of NV, pay ...

Thread: Pistol Permit requirments in NC??

Here's my situation: Im in the Marine Corps stationed in NC but as far as the government is concerned Im a resident of NV, pay taxes in NV, and have a NV drivers license which means I cant get a pistol permit for NC without changing my residency. With that being said I would be a NON-resident, though I live in NC 350 days a year when not deployed and I cant find the laws on posession of a pistol by a non resident. Would I be legal to have a pistol in NC without a permit becasue Im not technically a resident?? Im in a sense visiting here for a few years. Thanks for any help

VIP Member
    Unless NC is doing something other states don't your Military PCS orders sending you to NC makes you a resident in the states eyes. As long as you have a place of residence in NC, be it off base housing, on base housing or the barracks you should be good to go. If you want a hunting or fishing license you purchase a resident license not a non resident.

14‑403. Permit issued by sheriff; form of permit; expiration of permit.

The sheriffs of any and all counties of this State shall issue to any person, firm, or corporation in any county a license or permit to purchase or receive any weapon mentioned in this Article from any person, firm, or corporation offering to sell or dispose of the weapon. The license or permit shall expire five years from the date of issuance. The license or permit shall be in the following form:

North Carolina,

______________ County.

I, ______________, Sheriff of said County, do hereby certify that I have conducted a criminal background check of the applicant, ______________ whose place of residence is ______________ in ______________ (or) in ______________ Township, ______________ County, North Carolina, and have received no information to indicate that it would be a violation of State or federal law for the applicant to purchase, transfer, receive, or possess a handgun. The applicant has further satisfied me as to his, her (or) their good moral character. Therefore, a license or permit is issued to ______________ to purchase one pistol from any person, firm or corporation authorized to dispose of the same.

This license or permit expires five years from its date of issuance.

This ____ day of ____________, ________.

Sheriff.

(1919, c. 197, s. 2; C.S., s. 5107; 1959, c. 1073, s. 2; 1981 (Reg. Sess., 1982), c. 1395, s. 3; 1995, c. 487, s. 1; 1999‑456, s. 59.)

Go by the County Sheriffs Office and talk to them. I'm sure they have encountered the question before.

Your military ID and a copy of orders showing you are stationed in NC will work. Go for it!!!
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LeBlanc1775 View Post
    Here's my situation: Im in the Marine Corps stationed in NC but as far as the government is concerned Im a resident of NV, pay taxes in NV, and have a NV drivers license which means I cant get a pistol permit for NC without changing my residency. With that being said I would be a NON-resident, though I live in NC 350 days a year when not deployed and I cant find the laws on posession of a pistol by a non resident. Would I be legal to have a pistol in NC without a permit becasue Im not technically a resident?? Im in a sense visiting here for a few years. Thanks for any help
    Do you mean buy one or have one. Pistol permits are for buying one,
    not possessing one you already own.
    For buying it is a local records check, call the Sheriff's admin, I believe with an Mil ID and a copy of original orders you can get a permit to buy. The permit is surrendered when you buy.
    CCW permits can be gotten the same as civ's, it is just the normal hassle of no concealed carry on base and complying with base registration and transportation regs for firearms, whether long or short guns.

Need a copy of your PCS orders assigning you to LeJune, Your ID, A local background check from your post then take it to your Local Sheriff's Dept + $5.00 per license (up to 5 per background check) will get you your permit to buy in NC.

I'm stationed at Bragg but a TN resident. I not only purchased here but got a concealed license here aswell.

If you get your concealed license first you can avoid the 5.00 fee
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

Ok the permit is for buying not possesing that makes sense. I have my CHL for Nevada but it does not have reciprocity with NC. If I were to get a NC permit I would have to show Im a resident of NC with my orders which would work but what about my resident NV CHL? would it still be valid?

Quote Originally Posted by LeBlanc1775 View Post
    Ok the permit is for buying not possesing that makes sense. I have my CHL for Nevada but it does not have reciprocity with NC. If I were to get a NC permit I would have to show Im a resident of NC with my orders which would work but what about my resident NV CHL? would it still be valid?
    Don't see why not. Alot of people on this board have multiple state CHL's.
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

i dont believe you have to have a permit to own a pistol as long as it was purchased with a permit in another state, although you do have to have a permit to carry concealed

Sponsored Links