CCW friendly counties in NYS?

This is a discussion on CCW friendly counties in NYS? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was wondering what counties in new york state are friendly towards CCW and obtaining a license to carry? Do I have to show "a ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CCW friendly counties in NYS?

CCW friendly counties in NYS?

I was wondering what counties in new york state are friendly towards CCW and obtaining a license to carry? Do I have to show "a need" for a carry permit? I said I'd never live there but with my wife's job and mine we may need to,as her family is there andf at least we would be guaranteed work there.

So my questions are if god forbid we're forced to move to that state whats the best county to live in for a carry permit? I know my wife's family lives in the buffalo area but don't know what county its in.

Also do I have a grace period to bring my handguns into the state prior to establishing residency and or obtaining a pistol permit? If not how do I go about this? Can I leave my handguns in FL and after getting the permit have them shipped to an FFL in New York State? I hope the worst case doesn't happen but if it does whats my recourse?
    Snub nose revolvers,the original concealed carry guns.

2. Remove Ads

Sign on to this board and ask away. Generally most upstate counties issue permits but it may take up to 6 months in some. Full carry permits vary from county to county. Some issue full carry but most issue Hunting/Target unless you can show specific need to carry fulltime.

There is no grace period. You will have to have your pistols shipped to an FFL dealer where they will store them and once you get your permit you can then get them out of jail.

NY Firearms - Home | New York Firearm & Gun Ownership, Laws, Politics, Weapons, Discussion Forums

bosco

Nys ccw

The county around Buffalo is Erie county, If the worst happens and
    you have to move to NY head for the more rural counties near Erie, they are Chautauqua and Cattaragus. The rule of thumb is the more rural the faster it will happen and it will be issued unrestricted. Around Buffalo the county judges want to issue restrictions. The permit or license is good throughout the state except NYC. Leave your guns in Fl until license is issued no lic no handgun. Most ffl's will receive your guns for a fee once you have your lic carry wherever....John ps 6mo to 1 yr wait for lic.

I can honestly say the WORST counties are Westchester and Rockland. After 20 years I was able to get all restrictions removed on my Westchester County permit. I now have a Full Carry. Again NYC is taboo and hands off. Unless you are RICH and/or Famous, mistress to the Commissioner

Okay so if I leave my handguns in FL until the license is approved don't the gun's make,model,serial number and caliber need to be listed on the license? Do the gun's need to be inspected prior to them being added to the permit? Would I be able to legally bring my Remington 870(being its a long gun) into the state for home defense with out a permit?

john452 are Chautauqua and Cattaragus counties good with issuing unrestricted permits? If so what the wait times in these counties? thanks for the help so far guys.

VIP Member
    Long guns are fine as long as I know. I am a CT resident and bought a Mossberg 500 pistol grip and ammo at a Gander Mountain with My drivers license. They handed Me the shotgun and ammo at the counter and said have a good day.

1. Go to the website shown earlier. There are members there from almost every county who will answer your queations.
    2. Find a NY dealer who will hold them (you need to list a handgun on your application).
    3. NYS Police will have to have a brass casing fired from each handgun before you take ownership. (dealer should get this done for you ).

I can only speak for Monroe County (Rochester area), but the BS you have to put up w/ is mostly just bureacracy here. It took approx. 6 months to get my permit. Having owned pistols in my previous state, there is more bureacracy than if you don't own any pistols. PM me if you want more details. It was a really convoluted process for me to add my previously owned pistols to my permit.

Monroe county for the most part has been issuing unrestricted permits as far as I know. I haven't heard of anyone being issued a restricted permit, but that could change w/ the term of the judge reviewing permit applications.

Most county websites have info regarding pistol permits on their websites. I would start by checking those out and by calling their permitting office.

Best of luck

Quote Originally Posted by boscobeans View Post
    3. NYS Police will have to have a brass casing fired from each handgun before you take ownership. (dealer should get this done for you ).
    I don't think this is quite accurate. COBIS procedures are only in effect for new pistols. Since the pistols that he already owns would not be considered new, there is no requirement for the spent brass. (a.k.a. a collossal waste of taxpayers time and dollars seeing as not a single case has been convicted based on COBIS info.)

The reason I believe this to be true is that I have purchased used pistols on gunbroker before and have not been required to have the spent casing.

I could be wrong, but that is my understanding.

Oh I forgot

I forgot to mention that most counties have a minimum residency requirement prior to applying, so be prepared to be disarmed for a while if you decide to move here. Monroe Cty requires you to be a resident of the county for a minimum of a year, + statements of character reference of 3 other residents.

Quote Originally Posted by John OK View Post
    I don't think this is quite accurate. COBIS procedures are only in effect for new pistols. Since the pistols that he already owns would not be considered new, there is no requirement for the spent brass. (a.k.a. a collossal waste of taxpayers time and dollars seeing as not a single case has been convicted based on COBIS info.)

The reason I believe this to be true is that I have purchased used pistols on gunbroker before and have not been required to have the spent casing.

I could be wrong, but that is my understanding.
    They DO realize people replace firing pins and extractors, right? Even polishing, or otherwise sanding down the back face od the chamber defeats the whole purpose. I'll assume lawmakers just sit around dreaming up new ways to screw with gun owners...
    Guns don't kill people.
    Gaping wounds in vital organs do.
    ============
    NRA Life Member
    Colt M1911A1 / H&K USP45

COBIS interpretation can be vague. If you call an FFL dealer in NY you may be able to get a solid answer.

Q - Does this mean that guns received from out-of-state wholesalers aren't affected by this law because they're not received directly from a manufacturer?

No, for purposes of this section, the term "Manufacturer" includes any person, firm or corporation outside this state engaged in the business of supplying pistols or revolvers to licensed dealers in firearms in this state.

Q - Are gun manufacturers required to include a cartridge casing with every gun they ship to New York State after March 1, 2001?

On and after March 1, 2001, any manufacturer that ships, transports or delivers a pistol or revolver to New York State must include a cartridge casing of a bullet or projectile fired from the pistol or revolver in the container with the gun. This does not apply to rifles and shotguns, only to handguns. Failure to do so is punishable as a violation for a first offense and as a misdemeanor for subsequent offenses.

Nothing clear in the above about used or new ???

I would check into it if you do decide to make a move to NY.

bosco

Quote Originally Posted by MedPig View Post
    They DO realize people replace firing pins and extractors, right? Even polishing, or otherwise sanding down the back face od the chamber defeats the whole purpose. I'll assume lawmakers just sit around dreaming up new ways to screw with gun owners...
    Every time this is brought up, the lawmakers generally respond with "criminals aren't that smart".

Neither are the lawmakers, IMHO.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

The law that requires a fired casing applies to NEW only. I purchased a used from gunbroker and there wasn't a case required.
    The term 'Manufacturer' describes 'in the business of''.
    New York is not a friendly gunowner state. The entire state is controlled by reps from NYC and Buffalo. You know the type, the extreme left and afraid of their citizens. The penal law re. firearms is set by the state, but the county judges have their own say. (they take this on their own as the state doesn't give them the authority.)

Joe

I haden't thought of the minimum residencey thing I thought I thought that the moment I was issued a NYS drivers I was then I was considered a resident of New York. I'll check out the suggeted website and also the websites for each counties pistol permit process,you guys have been a great help so far.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links