Driving from Charlotte NC to Orlando FL

This is a discussion on Driving from Charlotte NC to Orlando FL within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Going back to visit friends in a few weeks, won't have my CC permit by then. I know FL is NO OPEN CARRY, that's fine, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Driving from Charlotte NC to Orlando FL

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar

Driving from Charlotte NC to Orlando FL

Going back to visit friends in a few weeks, won't have my CC permit by then. I know FL is NO OPEN CARRY, that's fine, my friends have their CCHP in FL. But we are thinking about a trip to the range, and Bunny Jr. and I want to bring our guns. Since we are driving down, is there a one-size-fits-all method to carry in the car throughout the entire road trip?

I was thinking two range bags in the trunk, one with guns (locked, empty, slides locked back) and the other one with the ammo. We have a minivan, so no actual "trunk" to speak of, but there is a cargo area in the back, behind the 3rd row of seats that I would keep both ammo bags in.

If I get pulled over, is this ok for NC/SC/GA/FL? I'd hate to pull over at each state line and rearrange stuff so I'm constantly shuffling in order to stay legal.

Ideas?

I wanted to just fly down there, but Heaven only knows what a pain in the butt THAT would be!
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

2. Remove Ads

Bunny,

Actually, flying is not that difficult. Arms get a little tired, but...
    J/K. Just check the TSA regs and check again for airline of your choice; don't walk up to the counter and say, "I have a GUN!"; and your good to go.

In FL, gun can be loaded and in glove box or console, if 'securely encased.' Doesn't even need to be locked. Don't have to have a CWFL, or NC version of it.

Any BGs you want to shoot while down here is fine with us.
    Favorite bumper sticker: If it's tourist season, why can't I shoot them?
    Last edited by miklcolt45; June 26th, 2009 at 11:49 PM. Reason: add a line
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

in GA since your not eligible for a GA permit(dont meet the residency requirement)(and because you dont possess a reciprocal permit) you must carry in accordance to the federal law

There is no duty to inform what so ever in GA
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

Bunny,
    If the sole reason that you are driving is because of the firearms ,you may want to reconsider. Flying with weapons is no big deal,you'll need a locking case,ask your airline for the particulars. I've done it with handguns,rifles,and shotguns,no problems. Also, you can go to a range with rentals or use your friends guns to shoot .

Ski

Thumbs up

It's really easy to fly with your gun, I just did it on NWA. You just have to declare it at the baggage check- in, open the suit case and show them it's not loaded, they put a tag on it for the x-ray screener. You can keep it locked as long as you have a TSA lock (you can purchase them anywhere just look for TSA on the lock). I had a real good experience.

Quote Originally Posted by miklcolt45 View Post
    Bunny,
    In FL, gun can be loaded and in glove box or console, if 'securely encased.' Doesn't even need to be locked. Don't have to have a CWFL, or NC version of it.
    This is true, I just don't know if it covers non-residents? In Florida you just have to be a legal gun owner. The car is considered an extension of your home. Castle Doctrine, etc. applies while you are driving.

"Encased" can also mean a Tupperware container WITH lid. Also (may only apply to CWL holders?) a visible holster with thumb break or strap mounted in the car.

I'd drive rather than fly, it's not that far, and you'd have a car (rather than renting one). OMO

The wife and I have flown Delta from FL to MI many times without incident. I believe the TSA workers are pretty used to people traveling with guns...it's an easy process.

We are headed to IN/MI in a couple of weeks and have decided to drive this time. Cost of plane tickets, waiting time, and the cost of renting a car as compared to just driving our own vehicle (with two drivers) is less of a hassle. My wife and I both have our permits which are recognized in all the state in which we are traveling, so no problems with the guns.

If you just pack them away unloaded in your trunk you won't have any problems.
    Enjoy your trip and spend lots of money here in FL...our state needs it.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
    This is true, I just don't know if it covers non-residents? In Florida you just have to be a legal gun owner. The car is considered an extension of your home. Castle Doctrine, etc. applies while you are driving.

"Encased" can also mean a Tupperware container WITH lid. Also (may only apply to CWL holders?) a visible holster with thumb break or strap mounted in the car.
    If you have no legal impediment to having a gun in your possession, you are good to go.

Out-of-staters do have to pay an extra tax IF, and only if, they bag more than their legal limit of BGs.

j/k. We wouldn't want anyone to harm the little darlings while they are getting their act together, would we?
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Georgia and Flordia both consider your car as an extension of your home (castle doct.). Your side arms just have to be 'encased'. In a holster tucked within the glove box, center console, etc.

Enjoy the trip!
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Florida

Heres the florida statutes as they relate to concealed carry within a car without a permit.

-----------------------
    Definitions

(16) "Readily accessible for immediate use" means that a firearm or other weapon is carried on the person or within such close proximity and in such a manner that it can be retrieved and used as easily and quickly as if carried on the person.

(17) "Securely encased" means in a glove compartment, whether or not locked; snapped in a holster; in a gun case, whether or not locked; in a zippered gun case; or in a closed box or container which requires a lid or cover to be opened for access.

--------------
    790.25 Lawful ownership, possession, and use of firearms and other weapons

(3) LAWFUL USES.--The provisions of ss. 790.053 and 790.06 do not apply in the following instances, and, despite such sections, it is lawful for the following persons to own, possess, and lawfully use firearms and other weapons, ammunition, and supplies for lawful purposes:

(j) A person firing weapons for testing or target practice under safe conditions and in a safe place not prohibited by law or going to or from such place;

(l) A person traveling by private conveyance when the weapon is securely encased or in a public conveyance when the weapon is securely encased and not in the person's manual possession;

-------------------

5) POSSESSION IN PRIVATE CONVEYANCE.--Notwithstanding subsection (2), it is lawful and is not a violation of s. 790.01 for a person 18 years of age or older to possess a concealed firearm or other weapon for self-defense or other lawful purpose within the interior of a private conveyance, without a license, if the firearm or other weapon is securely encased or is otherwise not readily accessible for immediate use. Nothing herein contained prohibits the carrying of a legal firearm other than a handgun anywhere in a private conveyance when such firearm is being carried for a lawful use. Nothing herein contained shall be construed to authorize the carrying of a concealed firearm or other weapon on the person. This subsection shall be liberally construed in favor of the lawful use, ownership, and possession of firearms and other weapons, including lawful self-defense as provided in s. 776.012.

What can I say? I really bored! Have fun in the sunchine state! Watch the weather also, those big red blobs turn into swirly things over night!
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    Question everything, Learn something, Answer nothing.
    Those who have an answer for everything, have an answer for nothing.

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    Ok, I looked. It's a $130 difference between flying two people r/t from CLT to ORL, or renting a car and paying $2.70/gallon to drive the 8 hours there. (I'm not taking the Dog Hauler, it's a guzzler and we're not bringing the dogs.)

No need for rental car once we get there, so that's a non-issue.

How much of a hassle is it to fly with 2 firearms? Seriously, do they end up getting "lost" a lot, have any of you had major issues with this? I can grab ammo in FL, so not worried about that. What do you think? Bite the bullet and fly, or save the $$ and drive?

Or not go at all and buy another gun instead? (Looking at a Glock to add to the family.)
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

Quote Originally Posted by goldshellback View Post
    Georgia and Flordia both consider your car as an extension of your home (castle doct.). Your side arms just have to be 'encased'. In a holster tucked within the glove box, center console, etc.

Enjoy the trip!

this is not true, he is not eligible for a GA permit(since he isnt a resident) and does not have a NC(which would allow him to carry here)

the only way for him to carry is in accordance with Federal transport laws.t or to openly carry(which according to case law is pretty much impossible)
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post

How much of a hassle is it to fly with 2 firearms? Seriously, do they end up getting "lost" a lot, have any of you had major issues with this? I can grab ammo in FL, so not worried about that. What do you think? Bite the bullet and fly, or save the $$ and drive?
    I had to fly to Michigan a couple months ago... here's a post I made about the airport check-in...

I was anticipating hassles and anal probes at the airport, so I got there early... but I have to say, check-in went off without a hitch. I told the lady at the counter that I was traveling with a firearm, and she actually looked kinda surprised, like she had to think back to her training on what to do.

She asked me to unlock the case, I demonstrated that the weapon was indeed unloaded, and she stuck a red slip of paper in the case that said "Unloaded firearm"... she then told me to stand aside, my bag was handed off to a TSA official who took my bag to an X-ray machine. 2 minutes later, he gave me a thumbs up, and I was off to my gate.

On the return, the lady at the ticket counter again looked surprised, called over a supervisor, but we did the unloaded check and the red slip of paper, and this time, I did not have to wait for TSA... I proceeded directly to my gate.

So all in all, things went great... no hassles at the airport, I got my business concluded, got to see some old friends, and felt secure in the knowledge that I was armed in an unfamiliar, albeit probably very safe little town.

If your permit is valid in your destination state, don't be deterred from taking your weapon... from my experience, I think traveling with a dog or golf clubs would be a much bigger hassle...

"Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

I agree with retsupt above........ I'd drive. NC to Orlando is a piece of cake. We drive from Colorado to FL yearly to visit family. That's a lot farther, but the fact is we both love road trips. Gun wise for us it's no problem... we both have permits that make us good to go the entire way.

Another reason for driving is I hate flying and airports. I did 30+ years of that in the corporate world. (I'm now retired)

Have a good trip........

Be Alert and Stay Safe

FastDraw

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links