Reloads or factory ammo in CC weapons?

This is a discussion on Reloads or factory ammo in CC weapons? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As many of my fellow packers point out, there are pros and cons with reloads for SD (mostly cons by a wide margin). My vote ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Reloads or factory ammo in CC weapons?

Another vote for Factory ammo for CCW

As many of my fellow packers point out, there are pros and cons with reloads for SD (mostly cons by a wide margin).

My vote goes without reservation to facory ammo for CCW. It is one variable to stack on your side and not be used against you.

To restate what others have said...why take a chance?

Especially when there are so many good SD factory loads.

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    I don't use reloads for CC because 1. possible (however unlikely) prosecution. 2. I want new, never been relaoded brass casing that should cycle the most reliably. 3. better for a factory to mess up loading , if the ammo some how fails.

I did read an article on weighing your carry ammo to insure a powder charge was present. I have adopted this practice.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by rocky
    I don't use reloads for CC because 1. possible (however unlikely) prosecution. 2. I want new, never been relaoded brass casing that should cycle the most reliably. 3. better for a factory to mess up loading , if the ammo some how fails.

I did read an article on weighing your carry ammo to insure a powder charge was present. I have adopted this practice.
    Can you comment further on this rocky? what do you use to weigh it and do you weigh them 1 at a time.

This is interesting.

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    I meant it in most sarcastic way possible.
    First you have to win. Then worry about lawyers.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

Assistant Administrator
    what do you use to weigh it and do you weigh them 1 at a time.
    Not to answer for Rocky - but I have done this, mainly when I was suspicious of a batch of 9mm's I'd loaded up. Yes, checked one at a time.

I reckon it can work, but IMO needs electronic scales. The powder charge is gonna be around 5 or a little over grains usually - and providing bullet weights are only +/- about a grain or so either way - it is generally possible to spot an odd one. This may not mean no powder but could be worth putting any low tolerance rounds to one side for range practice.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Hi. This event has happened here in AZ been quite awhile ago if memory serves. The guy was out testing loads he was working on long story short ended up having to shoot a guy. The family lawyer of the guy he killed stated he loaded the round with the intent to kill whom ever showed up that day. Problem was he didn't know which of the rounds he had shot the guy with as he had diff. in the gun. So from a legal stand point if you shoot someone the cops will take you gun and ammo you have no way to prove what you loaded as far as was it a hot load or what. With factory ammo it's easier to get a lot number from the box and your lawyer can get all he wants of it to show that it was loaded to factory specs. Ain't anything wrong with reloads just easier to prove you didn't load to kill. See my point.
    [B]Kurt Pietrzak
    [I]Maricopa Shooting Service
    S.W.A.T. ( South West Airsoft Tactical )
    CCW Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor
    Maricopa ,AZ. 85239

I reload for everything, including CC. I don't want to look too "fishy" by buying special carry ammo when I reload everything else.
    "Why did you buy this ammunition when you never buy for any other of your other firearms...bad intent?" I could imagine hearing that.

Since we seem to be hell-bent on "what-iffing" this one to death, despite the lack of credible evidence that hand loads play much of a part in real, verifiable court cases. . .

Just about every gun mag out there is chock-full of adds for various factory loads that all claim to the be superior MacDaddy of them all for serious knock-down, super-expanding, energy-transferring POWER, I'd kind of think that those adds would be just as likely be used as evidence that you were "out to kill" as any reasonable hand load would be.

In reality, it could go either way. Until I see where the choice of bullets actually impacts a real court case, I'm NOT going to worry about it.

As has been said, "A good shoot is a good shoot. Period."

mm
    Political Correctness has now "evolved" into Political Cowardice.

Quote Originally Posted by Ti Carry
    Can you comment further on this rocky? what do you use to weigh it and do you weigh them 1 at a time.

This is interesting.

Ti.
    Weigh them on a reloading scale and look for any that are way lite or super heavy compared to the rest ..

That way you can make sure they all have powder and are not over charged

I've used both...........done my own reloads for carry, and made sure they worked 100% before I ever carried em............that was in my younger days..........now.........i just carry the factory stuff, due to the leagal BS I might end up in using my own rolled goods
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

I think it's helpful to define the term "reloaded ammunition".

If a person manufactures ammunition in their home using brand-new components (brass, bullets, powder), then it strikes me that this is not "reloaded ammunition"; rather, it is, dropping the prefix, "loaded ammunition".

If that's the case, then what y'all are arguing here is not a "reloaded versus factory" ammo argument; it's a "factory-loaded versus individual-loaded" ammo argument. I consider the ammunition I produce on my loading equipment to be of my higher quality, and more importantly, of more consistent quality, than any ammo produced by Remington or Winchester or Federal. I have 100% confidence in my loaded ammunition, whereas I have had several failures with "factory ammo". I like to think of it as disc brakes versus drum brakes; both work well, but one is clearly superior and I don't think anyone would fault a person for picking the one that performs better than the others.

Jeremy

I carry factory ammo. Speer GDHP 124 +P for both my XD9 and in my wife's MK9. I don't reload right now since my collection of weapons is so small and I have no calibers at this point that would make it beneficial for me to do so. I do see myself getting into it in the future at some point and even at that, I will keep factory ammo in my carry piece.

If it's a justified shoot, then it's a justified shoot. I can and certainly do understand that. But we also have to think about what *could* happen as a result. In NH, the new "castle doctrine" addition to our CCW laws has been shot down. It would have been a similar law as to what Florida just put into effect in that the law would state that you did not have to retreat from a place where you are legally allowed to be and that you could not be held liable in a civil case if you were justified in firing in SD. With the current law here in NH, I want as much of it on my side as I can get should it ever come to that. Handloads can and could be perceived to be more lethal in court if brought into account by the prosecution. It is possible and has been used before as a point in a real case. We have to remember that it is the perception of the jury that sways the case, not so much what is correct and what is not correct. Should a jury perceive that your handload was "more lethal" than the factory ammo, even with overwhelming evidence to the contrary, you may be in for some trouble.

For me, not worth it.
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

My opinion is to use factory loads for self defense.

I've considered using reloads for practice to reduce costs for training. I would want to reload to as close to the same specifications as the factory rounds used for self defense.

Factory loads will undoubtably be much more reliable and safer to use (legally).

When it comes to pistol self defense, you need to be very comfortable and familiar with your equipment - the pistol, the holster, the ammunition.

Long and short of it no matter what you use you will probably go to court. As most of the laws are now the BG has all the rights not us.
    [B]Kurt Pietrzak
    [I]Maricopa Shooting Service
    S.W.A.T. ( South West Airsoft Tactical )
    CCW Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor
    Maricopa ,AZ. 85239

Good shoot/bad shoot

Several have commented that if it's a "good shoot" your ammo shoot not make a difference. Generally speaking, I would agree with that. However, in reality it is the DA that determines if it is a good shoot by not prosecuting, or the jury if the DA decides to pursue the case. The ammo issue is simply one of many factors that may or may not be considered.

As far as the argument that you carry the same ammo as law enforcement, consider this statement: "Last year, I signed a bill to allow retired law enforcement officers, who have unique experience and special training, to carry concealed weapons." [My emphasis.] In my opinion, it would be just as easy for a DA to argue that your carry of "police-type ammo" is inappropriate since you are a mere civilian and do not have the "unique experience and special training" that police officers have.

That quote, by the way, is from Kansas Governor Kathleen Sebelius' statement concerning her veto of the CCW law, which was subsequently overridden.

I feel that factory ammo is the way to go, but think it is but one of many issues that could come up in a trial.

KC

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links