Just a reminder for me...

This is a discussion on Just a reminder for me... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been slackin on carrying lately. My XD9 is usually in the Jeep but not always on me. But yesterday was a good reminder ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just a reminder for me...

Just a reminder for me...

I have been slackin on carrying lately. My XD9 is usually in the Jeep but not always on me. But yesterday was a good reminder of how things can go down anywhere.

I'm in the middle of moving and the XD is in my Jeep which is locked. I'm carrying several boxes out of the apt to the FIL's pickup when I hear a lady yell and I look across the parking lot to the street there's a guy on his bicycle next to a lady's car throwing punches... maybe open handed... into the driver's window. She's got her maybe ten year old daughter in the passenger's seat and maybe a 15 year old son in the back passenger seat. As I'm setting the boxes down on the bed of the pickup I yell at him. He doesn't really look at me but basically stops and then just rides away at a slow pace. Slow enough for the son to get out of the car and almost chase him down.

She pulled into the parking lot hoping he would come back and i couldn't get to her before she drove off. It was pretty crazy. I didn't know who started the whole thing or how and we live in a pretty nice part of town, but it just served as a reminder of how QUICK stuff happens and how it can happen everywhere. I didn't even really get a good description that I remembered of the guy. Hopefully I would be in a good state of mind to use my car as my best defense. She could easily have knocked him over by opening her car door really hard.

Crazy stuff.
    Protection is a responsibility not just a right.

2. Remove Ads

wow
    jersey no more.. im a texan now

Opening the car door?? Big mistake that would have been, IMO. Being inside the car with the doors presumably locked is what was keeping him away from them. I'm willing to bet that the reason he was striking the window was as a way to gain entry into the vehicle.

OMOYMV

This reminds me of a scene in the show "The Unit" when a PSD is driving down the road with the principal's car and a follow-up behind it as they are being pursued by a motorcycle, and when the bike gets close the SL yells "Block them, follow-up--throw open your doors!"

It was just so unrealistic that he would tell them that.

Anyway, I'm glad no one was hurt. I hope the guy lands where he belongs soon. Oh, and start carrying again :)

Sounds like a good way to have a reminder. This world seems to get crazier every day.
    Smith & Wesson M&P9cCrossbreed Supertuck
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by United93 View Post
    Opening the car door?? Big mistake that would have been, IMO. Being inside the car with the doors presumably locked is what was keeping him away from them. I'm willing to bet that the reason he was striking the window was as a way to gain entry into the vehicle.

OMOYMV

This reminds me of a scene in the show "The Unit" when a PSD is driving down the road with the principal's car and a follow-up behind it as they are being pursued by a motorcycle, and when the bike gets close the SL yells "Block them, follow-up--throw open your doors!"

It was just so unrealistic that he would tell them that.

Anyway, I'm glad no one was hurt. I hope the guy lands where he belongs soon. Oh, and start carrying again :)

I just watched that episode last week. The Unit is a great series!

Good reminder of how quickly things can go bad, but in that case it's best to just call the cops unless someone is about to die.

I stopped a guy from beating his "ole lady" once and ended up having to fight them both before it was done. Best not to get physically involved in domestic disputes. I know I'll not do it again.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Here's a Clint Smith quote: "If youíre accosted, donít get out of the car. Put it in some other gear and put both feet on the gas. Clintís school of driving-add power!"

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyC4 View Post
    Here's a Clint Smith quote: "If youíre accosted, donít get out of the car. Put it in some other gear and put both feet on the gas. Clintís school of driving-add power!"
    That was the quote that came to mind for me.

My truck = 36,589,000 gr

Quote Originally Posted by NC Buckeye View Post
    That was the quote that came to mind for me.

My truck = 36,589,000 gr
    Even at 5 fps, that packs quite a wallop!
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    Even at 5 fps, that packs quite a wallop!
    Yep! and it has true knock down power... not much in the way of penetration though.

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    So does that mean that you will have that XD on your person more?
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

Stay armed...that means keep it on your person...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member
    If your EDC is uncomfortable to carry, trade it, sell it or just buy another that you will have with you.

P-3at in the pocket beats any 44 mag in the car any day.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Buckeye View Post
    Yep! and it has true knock down power... not much in the way of penetration though.
    Really depends on what you lead with

laxed carrying

I am a business owner and I'm friends with several others that have a CCW. They do not carry consistently other than their place of business.

In fact, all of my CCW friends are perhaps 50-50 on carrying when not at work.

In the past, I myself, was laxed on consistently carrying.

I am considerably more focused now then in the past, but I won't lie, there are times I still walk out the door armed with just a SOG Flash II knife.

Again, I'm not endorsing being laxed in carrying, just confessing a bit myself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links