Should I support ConcealedCampus on a social network??

This is a discussion on Should I support ConcealedCampus on a social network?? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know this way off topic. I am refering to Facebook. I am a college kid and I was reading around and found that ConcealedCampus ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should I support ConcealedCampus on a social network??

Should I support ConcealedCampus on a social network??

I know this way off topic. I am refering to Facebook. I am a college kid and I was reading around and found that ConcealedCampus organization is on Facebook. I would like to support them in every way because my state does not allow CC on campus.

For those (probably most) of you that don't know, Facebook is a pretty open network. If i joined the ConcealedCampus group to show my support everyone that knows me would see this. I don't have CC at this moment, but I will by this time next year.

This question relates to the whole "stickers on your car" question. Is it worth it? Now days employers search for applicants' names in facebook to look at their profile. I do not want to come off as a gun nut. What do you think?

2. Remove Ads

I can relate, as there was a protest all week this year to wear empty holsters on campus. I chose not to because I had several classes with future co-workers and didn't feel like dealing with that. As far as people just harassing me about carrying, couldn't care less. But when it comes to employers and such, that is your livelihood and I don't like to mess with that.

Can't buy another gun if I don't have a job

As I say all this, I remember I'm part of a group for concealed carry on facebook as well. Perhaps I need to remove this...
    Smith & Wesson M&P9cCrossbreed Supertuck
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

It's not like you would be supporting pedophilia or something immoral, guns aren't bad, dirty, or anything to be ashamed of. I'd do it, if I even had Facebook, I don't.
    I think that sometimes we forget that gun owners are a pretty big part of the population, if not a majority.

Considering how hard it is to find a job right now, it’s a hard call that only you can make.

I do believe you can make some of your “friends” on facebook private and not show on your main page, but if you have to do that, then what’s the point.

I would join, but that is just me. it all depends on how strong you stand for what you believe in. it may also havesome to do in what field you are going into. i am trying to get into LE so i dont think it would hurt me at all. i wish it would have been around a bit more before i graduated in august. stick to your "guns" and you will find your answer.
    "Welcome to Tennessee, the great state of shootin' stuff." Mark Wahlberg The Shooter
    "It's like killin' roaches, You hafta kill 'em all, otherwise whats the point." Charlie Bronson Death Wish 3

I joined and I am not in college. I feel it is an important right that needs to not be hindered. If someone doesn't hire you because of your desire to exercise the rights given to you by our creator and protected by our constitution then they very well may have done you a favor.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

If you are not willing to stand behind our Troops, feel free to stand in front of them!

-Paco

I belong to several gun rights groups on FB. If you make your profile private they cannot see much of anything without being added to your "friends" list. In that case you may not want to add potential co-workers or co-workers once you become employed.

Anyone who is on my friends list knows my stance on gun rights. I do no think we should be ashamed of a RIGHT, guaranteed by the Constitution. I am not embarrassed to own guns. I also think if we hide too well there is no opportunity to educate others.

I posted when I took my CHL class on my status page on FB and Myspace. Resultant converstions with friends resulted in 2 more ladies I know taking the CHL class, getting their permits, and buying their own handguns. There is a third planning to take it as soon as funds allow.

ETA: most people have no idea what CHL even means, I only clarified to those who asked me. I do not advertise I carry, but I also do not go to extraordinary lengths to hide it either, beyond average conceal carry efforts.
    NRA, GOA, GRNC member
    "Both the oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms."
    - Aristotle

Don't be ashamed of a constitutional right. People have died for this right.

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tombstone55 View Post
    Exactly. These rights come at a very high cost; people have died for them and someday people will probably have to die for them again. We are lucky to live in a time when we can exercise many of these natural rights. We should not hide from them, but rather wear them proudly.

"Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

I understand that I should not be ashamed of my rights and such. My reasoning is more on the lines of concealment. Concealment of my concealment . Very few friends will know that I will be carrying. This is how I want it to stay.
    The question is... does me supporting this group look as though I am most likely CC myself? That is my main concern. I am not ashamed of people knowing; if they have a problem then they can stay away from me. I just want the number of people that know or even assume to a minimum
    I suppose I am practically arguing for NOT putting it on my profile. hmmm I don't know.

Why would you be concerned about what your potential future coworkers or employers think? You would not want to work for anti-gun corporations in the future, would you? Your hard work will eventually support these people if you work for them, and you don't want the profits of your labor to support them do you?

VIP Member

Question

Quote Originally Posted by GWRedDragon View Post
    Exactly. These rights come at a very high cost; people have died for them and someday people will probably have to die for them again. We are lucky to live in a time when we can exercise many of these natural rights. We should not hide from them, but rather wear them proudly.

+ 1

+ 1

Quote Originally Posted by tns0038 View Post
    Considering how hard it is to find a job right now, it’s a hard call that only you can make.
    + 1

As a guy who regularly writes (and has been published) Pro-RKBA Letters to The Editor; OC's when attends public hearing; carries and wears a GSL pin while lobbing in the State Capitol, I have an initial reaction of "Stand Up."

OTOH, I'm a retired old fart, with little to lose. If I am honest, I'd admit there were times when my paycheck would be on the line that I kept a low profile.

We had an expression, "Is this hill worth dying for." You need to work that out for yourself -- in a way that works for you. Good luck!
    Last edited by DaveH; June 29th, 2009 at 07:29 PM.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

I joined, I am a college student at the University of Kentucky, last year there were a couple rallies supporting concealed carry on campus, and I was there also. I think its important to stand up for something you consider important to yourself, if there are repercussions in the future ill deal with them.

AMEN!!!!.... I cannot believe this is even a question,... It is a right that has been pasted down for years,.. Now the government has turned it around so legal citizens have hide the fact that we own guns???? Not on my watch,.. Stand strong to what you believe in and NEVER look down,..

I've noticed a lot of posts on here questioning why someone wouldn't join something like this. And I get where you are coming from. I'm coming from the perspective that I have a responsibility to myself and my family to take care of. Having a secure job is part of that. If I have to forgo signing up on a group on facebook to help ensure that I will have a paycheck next month, then I think that is of little cost to me. I'm not really giving up anything the way I see it.

And no, I may not want to work for a anti-weapon company. But, I think it is irresponsible of myself to just be like, well I don't want to work for them anyway and leave myself without a job or at the risk of losing it simply because someone saw something online and flew off the handle, especially in this business climate we are in.

The way I see it, we have to pick our battles and pick the way we address them. There are other ways to support a pro 2nd amendment viewpoint.
    Smith & Wesson M&P9cCrossbreed Supertuck
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links